Jonathan David

Vince193

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'd take him in the Premier League.  Just sayin'.

As a fellow west ham fan I would advise David to stay away. I love west ham, but I love Canada more. David is exactly what west ham need, but our club is a big mess right now. Lots of talent, but no leadership outside of Nobes, and he is getting old. 

1 hour ago, BFBF said:

As a fellow west ham fan I would advise David to stay away. I love west ham, but I love Canada more. David is exactly what west ham need, but our club is a big mess right now. Lots of talent, but no leadership outside of Nobes, and he is getting old. 

Yeah I know, sadly.  The teams where David would thrive in the Premier League are only buying £60-£70 million plus players at the moment and I don't think anything you do in the Belgian league will get you that noticed.  Beyond those teams, which have fast and skilled and hard working players everywhere else on the pitch, Premier League teams learned a long time ago how to bully and isolate smaller strikers.  I look at a player I like - Moise Kean - already talk about loaning him out - or even Javier Hernandez.   

I hope he goes (or stays) where he will play, as said above by many.

15 hours ago, apbsmith said:

It's always a possibility Gent just hold out one more season. 

As an armchair owner, if I was the owner of Gent, this would definitely be a possibility that crosses my mind. 

As a fan, I am just happy to see him getting regular minutes week in and week out in a competitive environment. 

If I was the owner of Gent, I’d make a move in January.  He’s healthy and rising.  An untimely injury could ruin it.  Potential is something that always gets a big market premium.

Always strike when the market is hot.

Just and edit to go one further.  I’d sell David for 25 million euros and then in the same window bring in Borges for like 1 million and get the fan hype machine rolling.  Just saying.

Edited by baulderdash77

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If I was the owner of Gent, I’d make a move in January.  He’s healthy and rising.  An untimely injury could ruin it.  Potential is something that always gets a big market premium.

Always strike when the market is hot.

Just and edit to go one further.  I’d sell David for 25 million euros and then in the same window bring in Borges for like 1 million and get the fan hype machine rolling.  Just saying.

Gent is likely headed to the Europa knockout rounds so no sense in jumping the gun from a club perspective.  Also, I'd be shocked (but happy) if Borges went for 1 million.

Article on David from https://www.nieuwsblad.be/  Translation a bit rough.  I know from watching streams of Gent matches that David has a great motor and covers a lot of ground but that 13km per match figure referenced in the article has to be a mistake because very few players, in any league, approach that type of distance in a game.

Top coach Hein Vanhaezebrouck filters the (Belgian) top football every Wednesday. This week, he pays tribute to AA Gent striker Jonathan David (19), who hopes to steal the show again on Thursday evening against Antwerp.
The first time I went to Jonathan Davidheard, was somewhere in the summer of 2017, when I was in contact with AA Gent with Bart Van Renterghem, my promise coach. Ghent regularly attracted young players without consulting the first team's trainer, to allow the riders to mature first. Many did not seem to have the level to ever get the first team, but Bart told me: We have a small Canadian here recently, and he has something, there is music in it. Well, that has turned out in the meantime. Great for scouting, of course, for men like Gunther Schepens, who are looking for young opportunities at foreign tournaments. That you often miss the ball is actually not illogical. But David was a real hit.

Remarkably, Davidspent so long in the waiting room. When I was a trainer from Ghent, he was of course only 17, and had just arrived from Canada. Apart from a few duels with the promises, I did not see him then - it was too early to include him in the A-team. Unfortunately I was not allowed to experience it, but even under Vanderhaeghe or in the first months under Thorup he played very little. This is really a story of 'one is dead the other is his bread'. Only when Chakvetadze fell out in December 2018 did David become a basic player. Before that, he was no more than a super sub. Of course, his talent had always come to the surface, but without the injuries of Chakvetadze he would have had to wait even longer for his chance. Then he might not always have been a lecturer now. Meanwhile David, however, the most crucial part in the Ghent radar work, also difficult to replace. Although we must not forget Depoitre. Thanks to him, Yaremchuk gets more returns, and as a third man, David also benefits .

Davidhas really emerged in recent months as one of the best players in our competition. He has an unbelievable engine and endurance - he travels 13 kilometers for every match, which is phenomenal for an offensive player - and he is super fast. You don't see that combination often. He is technically skilled, with both feet. His header has improved - witness his fantastic deviation match against Cercle in early September. He has a very good understanding, knows perfectly which areas to dive into, where to drop out. And he has, finally, an incredible mentality. He is anything but a pseudovedette, on the contrary: he is a real star in the making, because he goes full training, rest and sleeps a lot, only thinks of football and keeps his feet on the ground. All these qualities deliver a unique pallet for Belgium. Endurance, speed, technique, insight and mentality: most football players in Belgium score well on two or three, sometimes four of those five elements. AsDavid on all five score well, is rarely seen. Kevin De Bruyne, yes, he also had everything. But further?

The question is: can Ghent keep it next summer? If he finds it time to leave, it will be difficult. Moreover, Ghent has never been able to hold players that were in great demand. After our champion year and our Champions League campaign, Sels, Kums and Depoitre were also sold for 6/7/8 million. And for Davidthe bids will be much higher. That is a player who normally generates 20 million. The fact that Ghent hibernates in Europe is 95 percent certain, but if it hits a few more rounds, and it can show itself, its value will only increase. Being a Ghent champion is just as important. The Champions League is perhaps the only thing that can convince him to stay an extra year, but this boy has the potential to reach the absolute top. He is able to end up at the four / five best clubs in every top competition.

Apart from that, I wonder: what if Chakvetadze is back? It was also brought in very young by Ghent - luckily just before Bayern Munich and co. discovered him - and predicted a bright future. The return with Davidis much higher than with Chakvetadze, who sometimes misses the overview, but I think they can also be in the team together. David is also tactically versatile, because he can be the offensive man in the diamond, but he can also play as a second striker, or grow as a deep man, in the role of false 'nine'. And who knows, just like Chakvetadze, he can even handle the positions of Kums and Vadis. He had to get Vormer back about five times against Club Brugge. As the most offensive midfielder, he even made a defensive impression with his walking ability and character. But still let him infiltrate himself. Once he is up to speed, there is no defensive midfielder who can keep up with him. HNB