Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just leaving this here for no reason

"West Ham consider Julen Lopetegui and Paulo Fonseca as David Moyes' future is mulled over"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/13121591/west-ham-consider-julen-lopetegui-and-paulo-fonseca-as-david-moyes-future-is-mulled-over

Lopetegui's agent must be working hard at getting his client's name out there, as it has been reported in the Italian press that Milan are looking at him as an option...which I think is highly unlikely.

11 minutes ago, masster said:

Lopetegui's agent must be working hard at getting his client's name out there, as it has been reported in the Italian press that Milan are looking at him as an option...which I think is highly unlikely.

He's never done well at top level clubs, just decent to good at Sevilla, at Porto. He was hiding in the Spain youth system for years. Twenty years coaching and maybe 3-4 good seasons, plus a few tournaments with Spanish youth. Very overhyped guy. I would not even want him for Canada.

Lots of changes coming to Italian football this upcoming season it seems.

1 hour ago, masster said:

If Fonesca went to Milan and took David with him (I have seen it somewhere), that would not be an unwelcome turn of events. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Doesn't look like he got a touch from the stat but influential in helping Yazıcı score the second as well.

Have to see the replay.

I just wish he wasn’t so inclined to go down and look for calls.  Refs clearly know he is looking to drop at the first bit of contact and he rarely gets the calls anymore.  

Takes the armband again near the end of a match.

Update: 

Get the win 1-2.  

In third (automatic Champions League) with 3 games to go. 

Brest 2 points back; play a game in hand later today.

Nice who were 7 points back are currently playing theirs. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 4/28/2024 at 8:49 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Takes the armband again near the end of a match.

Update: 

Get the win 1-2.  

In third (automatic Champions League) with 3 games to go. 

Brest 2 points back; play a game in hand later today.

Nice who were 7 points back are currently playing theirs. 

So it is or isn’t Nice Breast day?

24 minutes ago, masster said:

This report says that although Napoli wants David, Aston Villa is ahead of them right now. They may be able to offer Champions League football next season which Napoli wont.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/pericolo-premier-per-jonathan-david-aston-villa-in-i-pole-i-per-l-attaccante-del-lille-1962616

Says here they’re looking for a “thick centre forward” which bodes extremely well for Jonathan Thee Stalion.

3 hours ago, masster said:

This report says that although Napoli wants David, Aston Villa is ahead of them right now. They may be able to offer Champions League football next season which Napoli wont.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/pericolo-premier-per-jonathan-david-aston-villa-in-i-pole-i-per-l-attaccante-del-lille-1962616

We are getting reports in Spain that Napoli is looking at the Ukrainian striker at Girona, Dovbyk, who's leading the Liga. I think he may be close in style to Oshimen. Also, since Girona paid 7 million euros, they could sell at a profit and still be far below David's cost.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are getting reports in Spain that Napoli is looking at the Ukrainian striker at Girona, Dovbyk, who's leading the Liga. I think he may be close in style to Oshimen. Also, since Girona paid 7 million euros, they could sell at a profit and still be far below David's cost.

Would Napoli realistically be a better situation for him than Girona? Seems crazy for a striker to come to Spain, win the golden boot over some of the best goal scorers on the planet, drop the mic and go to Italy. 

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Would Napoli realistically be a better situation for him than Girona? Seems crazy for a striker to come to Spain, win the golden boot over some of the best goal scorers on the planet, drop the mic and go to Italy. 

That's a good point, had not considered it.

Then there's the fact that Girona will likely go straight into Champions League group stage. So both points in their favour for the player. 

Thing is, I bet his salary is relatively low. The whole Girona salary structure is weak, the club budget is amongst the lowest in La Liga, they have a small stadium owned by the city that they refuse to expand (apart from it being technically hard to expand, it'll be the smallest stadium in Champions League next year). They don't have revenue streams of note, like branding and merchandising. So they can't spend a lot on transfers or salaries because Financial Fair Play in Spain only lets you spend in function of revenue.  I would imagine he'd make double at Napoli. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's a good point, had not considered it.

Then there's the fact that Girona will likely go straight into Champions League group stage. So both points in their favour for the player. 

Thing is, I bet his salary is relatively low. The whole Girona salary structure is weak, the club budget is amongst the lowest in La Liga, they have a small stadium owned by the city that they refuse to expand (apart from it being technically hard to expand, it'll be the smallest stadium in Champions League next year). They don't have revenue streams of note, like branding and merchandising. So they can't spend a lot on transfers or salaries because Financial Fair Play in Spain only lets you spend in function of revenue.  I would imagine he'd make double at Napoli. 

All good points- I say that having said the opposite for David going to Napoli- better to sacrifice his quasi-guaranteed champions league entry with Lille to go to Napoli who is in a better league, and Lille is likely a better club than Girona, but without knowing what the transfer landscape in Spain will look like this year, I wonder if a bigger Spanish club would want to bring in Dovbyk- perhaps Atletico to play next to Griezmann (and succeed him when AG comes to MLS eventually), but I guess Madrid and Barcelona have their strikers for the foreseeable future so the market is probably not so hot for Dovbyk, at least at home. The salary is a big incentive though. I seem to recall Italy is also looking to bring back some aspect of the tax laws that benefit athletes who earn high salaries, so it’s possible Italy is just a friendlier climate for the ultra rich than Spain is too. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

All good points- I say that having said the opposite for David going to Napoli- better to sacrifice his quasi-guaranteed champions league entry with Lille to go to Napoli who is in a better league, and Lille is likely a better club than Girona, but without knowing what the transfer landscape in Spain will look like this year, I wonder if a bigger Spanish club would want to bring in Dovbyk- perhaps Atletico to play next to Griezmann (and succeed him when AG comes to MLS eventually), but I guess Madrid and Barcelona have their strikers for the foreseeable future so the market is probably not so hot for Dovbyk, at least at home. The salary is a big incentive though. I seem to recall Italy is also looking to bring back some aspect of the tax laws that benefit athletes who earn high salaries, so it’s possible Italy is just a friendlier climate for the ultra rich than Spain is too. 

Your point about other Spanish clubs is good, and specifically Atlético.

Just this week articles are saying that Morata is in serious decline and Griezmann is slipping, in fact there's an article today in Mundo Deportivo, and as I read it I was thinking David.

And then you are very prescient about the tax laws, the Madrid region has brought one in for elite athletes that many say is tailored to reduce the tax cost for Real Madrid for Mbappe's salary (Real Madrid having all governments in their pocket), but it would also benefit Atlético, who could offer better salaries to premium players.

I suspect Girona will sell either Dovbyk or Savinho, the young Brazilian who was with Ugbo at Troyes last season, either will give them a windfall. 

This being the David thread: if they decide to demote or half-bench Morata, I'd love for Jonathan to go there, prefer Atlético to Napoli (and then that cool idea that he's from Ottawa, and Atléti have an Ottawa team).

I would prefer Atletico to both Napoli and Aston Villa, I think.

Villa's time amongst the top English clubs could be short. We've seen how Newcastle were the darlings last season, but have now gotten dragged into the middle of the table. No shame in where they are at right now, but it goes to show that Champions League football may come and go for a side like Villa.

Atletico on the other hand you expect to see in Champions League every year. Plus they have genuine title aspirations, whether or not they can actually make it happen. Teams like Villa or even Napoli don't expect to win their domestic leagues or cups. I know Napoli won recently, but that was their first title since the 90s. The Cup is basically the same story. Villa the same story, but worse.

The Ottawa-Atletico connection would be a nice bonus, too. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your point about other Spanish clubs is good, and specifically Atlético.

Just this week articles are saying that Morata is in serious decline and Griezmann is slipping, in fact there's an article today in Mundo Deportivo, and as I read it I was thinking David.

And then you are very prescient about the tax laws, the Madrid region has brought one in for elite athletes that many say is tailored to reduce the tax cost for Real Madrid for Mbappe's salary (Real Madrid having all governments in their pocket), but it would also benefit Atlético, who could offer better salaries to premium players.

I suspect Girona will sell either Dovbyk or Savinho, the young Brazilian who was with Ugbo at Troyes last season, either will give them a windfall. 

This being the David thread: if they decide to demote or half-bench Morata, I'd love for Jonathan to go there, prefer Atlético to Napoli (and then that cool idea that he's from Ottawa, and Atléti have an Ottawa team).

I think that Griezmann has openly said multiple times that he is planning to retire in MLS as he loves the US- I imagine within 2-3 years he will be a member of the Galaxy or Miami, if Messi does indeed return to Young Boys. With that in mind, David could be the perfect successor, just like how Madrid was looking at him as the Benzema successor a little while back. I like the allure of having a player in England as it's really the only top 5 league that this generation of CANMNT hasn't made a mark in, but ignoring that, Atletico is probably my preferred realistic destination for him. Club level, resources, all of that is perfect for him, and I do like the story of him becoming an Atletico legend, and then at age 36, he moves to Atletico Ottawa and wins a domestic title playing for his hometown club (which Aletico reward him with a piece of ownership as thanks for a long and prosperous career that brought Champions League glory to the parent club, no doubt).

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would prefer Atletico to both Napoli and Aston Villa, I think.

Villa's time amongst the top English clubs could be short. We've seen how Newcastle were the darlings last season, but have now gotten dragged into the middle of the table. No shame in where they are at right now, but it goes to show that Champions League football may come and go for a side like Villa.

Atletico on the other hand you expect to see in Champions League every year. Plus they have genuine title aspirations, whether or not they can actually make it happen. Teams like Villa or even Napoli don't expect to win their domestic leagues or cups. I know Napoli won recently, but that was their first title since the 90s. The Cup is basically the same story. Villa the same story, but worse.

The Ottawa-Atletico connection would be a nice bonus, too. 

Villa could be like Brighton- can have great seasons with the right mix of players, but liable to fall very low in the table once their guys leave them. I do wonder in David's shoes- he clearly wants to go to England, but if Atletico was actually an option- is living in Birmingham worth the premier league experience vs. getting to live in Madrid? Assume his salary would allow him to live very lavishly wherever, but I think the quality of life aspect might skew more towards wanting to head to Spain or Italy if those are options. Though as an Ottawa boy who's lived in the north of france for several years now, perhaps balmy birmingham speaks to him.

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The thing with Newcastle (and lots of other "new big dogs") is its really difficult to reproduce the results in the EPL table when adding the extra load from Champions League.  It takes depth in the squad as well as coaching and analytics.  Hard to compete in both if you don't have all that in place already.  FFP limits what a team like Newcastle can spend to beef up to compete on all fronts that quickly.  What happened to Newcastle is normal, it'll be a balancing act for a few years. 

1 hour ago, scullion44 said:

Comparing Villa to Brighton is wild, they have the third or fourth richest owners in the league I believe and are more than willing to spend like crazy.

They were also one of the 3 clubs who voted against the spending cap. Man City and Man U were the other two, IIRC.

So while having the fourth richest owners is relevant, I wonder how much that'll be negated by the cap. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think that Griezmann has openly said multiple times that he is planning to retire in MLS as he loves the US- I imagine within 2-3 years he will be a member of the Galaxy or Miami, if Messi does indeed return to Young Boys

Newell's OLD Boys!

You had me trying to figure out why Messi would go to Zurich to retire...