Jonathan David

Vince193

with those 2 goals David moves back into second place in the Jupiler League scoring race. Just 3 goals behind the leader. 11 goals and 7 assists (top spot for assists). The player (Yari Verschaeren- see Nolando's post) that won the most promising player award over David, is a year and a half younger, but has only scored 2 goals in 19 games this season for Anderlecht!

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

with those 2 goals David moves back into second place in the Jupiler League scoring race. Just 3 goals behind the leader. 11 goals and 7 assists (top spot for assists). The player (Yari Verschaeren- see Nolando's post) that won the most promising player award over David, is a year and a half younger, but has only scored 2 goals in 19 games this season for Anderlecht!

Yes, it's interesting....Yari is Belgian and an attacking mid, fwiw.

Gent really seem to care about him from both a professional and personal level. His time at Gent is really helping him transition to life as a pro and he is genuinely loved by the supporters, coaches and club. 

I hope he stays until the summer (at least), especially with his recent personal tragedy.  I'm okay also ok if he stays on for another 18 months. I really think it will depend on Gents run in Europa League plus the owners and clubs intention for 2020-2021 season.

Edited by apbsmith
Spelling

49 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I agree with @apbsmith I feel staying on til the summer would be the best move for him. Transferring mid season is very difficult for a lot of players. In the summer he can assess all his options as I imagine there will be many to pick from. 

He also has a chance for a deep run in the Europa League and potentially a Belgian league Championship. Either of those would look good on his young resume!

If Gent win the Belgian league and/or qualify for UCL I think he stays. 

If he continues to do well thereafter I think we'll see even bigger clubs trying to pluck him. It could be another Haaland scenario.

As his transfer value grows, the clubs able or willing to afford him become few and far between. We also don't want him going to a club where he won't get to play. He needs to keep developing.

Without looking into their squads, I wonder if a club like Valencia or Sevilla makes sense?

They are big enough to afford a +€20M fee, but small enough for David to break in to the team, right? Not an expert on either, but just what I am thinking. They are always playing in Europe, plus La Liga is arguably the best league in the world, so there's that.

Edited by Obinna

Here's David's assist:

https://www.proximus-sports.be/index.php/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27624/goal-kaa-gent-1-1-krc-genk-25-mohammadi

David doesn't get an assist on this goal but he keeps the ball moving with a nice touch pass.  Notice how he drifts into space and is calling for the ball.  Gent player doesn't see it right away and the opportunity is gone but with a more creative play maker, David would be getting even more chances.

https://www.proximus-sports.be/index.php/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27626/goal-kaa-gent-2-1-krc-genk-52-bezus

On 1/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Obinna said:

If Gent win the Belgian league and/or qualify for UCL I think he stays. 

If he continues to do well thereafter I think we'll see even bigger clubs trying to pluck him. It could be another Haaland scenario.

As his transfer value grows, the clubs able or willing to afford him become few and far between. We also don't want him going to a club where he won't get to play. He needs to keep developing.

Without looking into their squads, I wonder if a club like Valencia or Sevilla makes sense?

They are big enough to afford a +€20M fee, but small enough for David to break in to the team, right? Not an expert on either, but just what I am thinking. They are always playing in Europe, plus La Liga is arguably the best league in the world, so there's that.

Lyon is the perfect place for him in my opinion. 

French speaking.

Good at player development.

The weakest of the big 5 leagues so he can put up good numbers. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

With Gent 9 points back of Brugge I was hoping David would move on to one of the top leagues during this window. 

I don’t know.  He is doing amazing at a club that is playing at a high level - and he is absolutely locked down as a starter when healthy, getting extremely valuable minutes.  IMO, staying at Gent - even for another year - is not bad at all.   He seems to be thriving in that environment.  

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know.  He is doing amazing at a club that is playing at a high level - and he is absolutely locked down as a starter when healthy, getting extremely valuable minutes.  IMO, staying at Gent - even for another year - is not bad at all.   He seems to be thriving in that environment.  

I agree.  He playing and they are still in the Europa League and remember the Belgian league format is kind of weird.  Not over yet and and even if it were, second is still a chance at the Champions League. 

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He's not in a bad situation, by any means, but I think he can play at a higher level and I'm excited to see it. If you want it to happen, why not now?

48 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He's not in a bad situation, by any means, but I think he can play at a higher level and I'm excited to see it. If you want it to happen, why not now?

I appreciate the point but I think it is less about us being excited and more about his long term development.  Bird in the hand and all that.  He is in a situation where he is playing in an offensive team with teammates that he has developed an understanding with, they have played some decent opposition and will again later this month (and could take that up a level if they continue to push on).  And most importantly he is playing regularly. 

We have no guarantee of any of that if he were to have moved on.  

He is still very young, if he continues to develop, he will play at a higher level.  I think he can be a better player in the end if he gets a taste of really chasing and winning something early on. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I appreciate the point but I think it is less about us being excited and more about his long term development.  Bird in the hand and all that.  He is in a situation where he is playing in an offensive team with teammates that he has developed an understanding with, they have played some decent opposition and will again later this month (and could take that up a level if they continue to push on).  And most importantly he is playing regularly. 

We have no guarantee of any of that if he were to have moved on.  

He is still very young, if he continues to develop, he will play at a higher level.  I think he can be a better player in the end if he gets a taste of really chasing and winning something early on. 

If he's sold for 20+ mil and he chooses the right suitor, then he's going to be given a chance. Maybe that offer didn't come along this window, but I don't see how the situation changes a year from now. From what I've seen his club stats are an outlier. He's a very good player, and I don't know if there's much left to prove at Gent.