Jonathan David

Vince193

Gent goes through to knockout round on a 0-0 result and can finish first with a victory at home against the weakest team in the group. 

Gent parked the bus, especially after a defender gets a red card around 75'. David didn't do much offensively but ran his tail off tracking back when Saint Etienne was on the attack.  Corners were 8-1 in Saint Etienne's favour, which gives you some idea of one-sided the game was.

Edited by Snowcrash

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

He was very careful to ensure playing time when he chose Gent as a destination. I imagine he’ll do the same this time around

Perhaps we will see a small step up in that case.

That is sort of how Hutchinson's career evolved.

Osters -> Helsingborg -> Copenhagen -> PSV

Each step was a small one up the ladder.

Then PSV -> Besiktas was kinda sideways, but he wanted a full time return to midfield and he had just turned 30, so those factors came into play.

Very curious to see how David's career plays out.

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

With all due respect to Hutch, David is already a top 5 player in the Belgian league and probably the top prospect based on age.  Also, the Belgian league is miles ahead of the leagues Hutch played in before his move to PSV.

That wasn't the point of my post, but okay. I guess the Belgian league is miles ahead of the Danish league. Gent is miles ahead of Copenhagen too, right?

We can appreciate both players, surely.

And to re-emphasize the point of my last post, I hope David takes small steps up the ladder, just like Hutchinson did. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

That wasn't the point of my post, but okay. I guess the Belgian league is miles ahead of the Danish league. Gent is miles ahead of Copenhagen too, right?

We can appreciate both players, surely.

And to re-emphasize the point of my last post, I hope David takes small steps up the ladder, just like Hutchinson did. 

Considering the price tag that's been thrown around for him, I don't imagine too many teams in the world buy him and not have him in their plans. I don't necessarily agree that it he needs to follow the same route Hutch did and only make small steps. It was a giant leap from amateur football in Ottawa to starring for Gent, but he handled that with ease. Davies also made quite the jump recently from Vancouver to Bayern, and that seems to be working out well for him.

I think it's most important that he chooses a side that will give him a fair opportunity to perform, and a team with a clear plan to build around him. David does have a rather unique playing style, and not many teams give a withdrawn striker the amount of freedom that he currently gets.  

Yeah I think they're out now... According to this David came home to visit a sick relative

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/464209/thorup-komt-met-verklaring-over-afwezigheid-david-en-owusu

UPDATE 8.30 pm

No Jonathan David and Elisha Owusu with the Buffalos. Many AA Gent fans were therefore worried about their two strong holders. Concern about the latter can continue for a while, because Owusu is struggling with an injury. That's what coach Jess Thorup said. Jonathan David then returned to Canada to visit a sick family member.

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Damn. If there's funeral info available, we should send flowers or something as a group.

Perhaps someone in the Ottawa area can take the lead on it? Makes sense for someone local to organize it. 

Perhaps the CSA will do something for David and his family. Maybe contacting them to inquire would be a good first step?