Jonathan David

Vince193

He might not be scoring in truckload, but its clear the Lille coaching staff highly rate David, and he has been rewarding their trust, specially since he is clearly putting better performances game after game. He had a great game overall today, and the goal was really just the cherry on the top. As his teammates start to get more costumed to him, and vice versa then expect him to get more assists goals. If anything, guarantee that he will make the entire Lille offence, and the players around him better.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I was wondering that myself. That breakaway that #19 for Lille had they thought it was David and were shouting his name loudly expecting him to finally score, like they were obsessed with the prospect of it happening like we are. Because they never show the replay, I’m not sure they ever realized that it wasn’t him who missed that chance. 

Funny, I was watching a British feed and the guy was impeccable, never missed a player and comments great. About m. 80 went on a long explanation why David was essential to the team and even with the 4-5 players out still deserved to start as he did things no other on the team could do. 

I celebrated that goal intensely, double fist pumping in front of the computer screen, then again for the replay. 

Has it been mentioned that for the Golden Boy he got one vote, came tied for 15th or so. As Davies probably lost out by his injury, not scoring these months probably cut David out of the top 10.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have been assuming that TV5 has been showing Lille games for the Canadian market specifically because of David. Otherwise one would think it would be PSG each week instead of Lille. But with all the focus -or rather, Voyageurs-like obsession- on David this game it makes me suspect they are local Canadian commentators from Quebec.

TV5 is funded by about 5 national governments. So, they do cater to the Canadian (Quebec) market. But from growing up in Quebec, my ears have always told me their football announcers aren't Quebecois - though today's announcer was harder to tell.

Based on their twitter account, today's announcers were Manu Tissier & Didier Roustan and appear to be based in France. 

TV5 usually showed matches on Saturday at 11ET. But this year, they have been more flexible and mostly showing the showcase Sunday evening match which normally is dominated by PSG but this year has had LOSC more than usual.

Edited by red card

To answer the three of you:

19 hours ago, ray said:

I was wondering whether TV5 was based out of Lille.  They do seem to show Les Dogues more than any other L1 team...

19 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have been assuming that TV5 has been showing Lille games for the Canadian market specifically because of David. Otherwise one would think it would be PSG each week instead of Lille.

18 hours ago, red card said:

TV5 is funded by about 5 national governments. So, they do cater to the Canadian (Quebec) market. But from growing up in Quebec, my ears have always told me their football announcers aren't Quebecois - though today's announcer was harder to tell.

Based on their twitter account, today's announcers were Manu Tissier & Didier Roustan and appear to be based in France. 

TV5 usually showed matches on Saturday at 11ET. But this year, they have been more flexible and mostly showing the showcase Sunday evening match which normally is dominated by PSG but this year has had LOSC more than usual.

TV5 doesn't work that way; irrespective of who has the broadcast rights locally for Ligue 1 content, TV5 are allowed to show one match a week. That match is usually the same one for the whole of North and South America. The same timeslot every week.

So they show the same match on TV5 USA:

http://usa.tv5monde.com/en/tv-shows/schedule

and TV5 Latin America:

https://latina.tv5monde.com/en/tv-guide/sport/football-ligue-1-uber-eats-Season-2020-323453

The Ligue 1 is schedule set by those who have the broadcast rights within France following the same basic formula every week:

https://www.ligue1.com/en

The most valuable match is usually the Saturday or Sunday match played at 9pm (which is why no other games are played at that time).

During the previous 3 seasons or so, TV5 stations in the Americas would broadcast the Saturday 5pm match (mainland France time) every week. So when when Marseille would face PSG or Lyon, it would always be on Sunday at 9pm (local) because it was a "very high broadcast value" match and therefore TV5 would never broadcast those ones. I'd get the Marseille vs Toulouse type games sometimes, never the big Marseille matches.

This season, for whatever reason, TV5 stations in the Americas have the Sunday night 9pm (local) match every week, except if the Sunday night match is a "very high broadcast value" match, then it's the Saturday night 9pm (local) match. A little more flexible.

The Sunday timeslot would more likely go to PSG, Marseille or Lyon matches but because PSG, Marseille and Rennes are playing in the Champions League they often cannot play on Sundays (especially true if they have a Tuesday match right after) and Lille and Nice cannot play during the Friday or Saturday timeslots because they have Europa League matches on Thursdays.

This forces Lille and Nice to play a lot of Sunday games to allow for an adequate number of rest days.

So the longer Lille stay in Europa League this season, the more often they will be forced to play their Ligue 1 games on Sundays, the more likely you will see them on TV5! :D 

So

Sunday, November 29th we will have Saint-Etienne vs Lille

Sunday December 6th it's Metz vs Lyon

Sunday December 13th it looks like PSG vs Lyon is a "very high broadcast value" match so TV5 will show the Saturday December 12th 9pm match instead which is Lens vs Montpellier.

Some of those "very high broadcast value" matches can be viewed here as "Les Tops 10 de Ligue 1 Uber Eats (sur Téléfoot)". Those 10 matches had strict kickoff dates and times set back in July for the benefit of broadcaster Téléfoot:

https://www.ligue1.fr/Articles/ACTU/2020/07/08/les-principales-dates-des-matchs-saison-2020-2021

So I expect that TV5 won't get the Lille vs PSG match on Sunday December 20th 9pm because the opponent is Paris and it is listed as a Top 10 match of the season and therefore seen as a "very high broadcast value" match.  :(

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The composure and the way he read that, he embarrassed the defender there. Classic David.

I was thinking the same thing ... he must take a split second peak before the ball arrives, and knows that there is a defender about to slide in when he receives the ball.  If he shoots that right away, it easily could have been blocked.  Incredible vision, split second decision making, and patience.

Just caught up, before he even got the assist I was already thinking he was playing great. It seemed like he was still cursed when it came to scoring, a few of those shots that went straight at the keeper he could have placed better but the fact he's getting more good shots off was encouraging. I'm so happy that he finally scored at the end, after feinting the defender you just knew he'd put that one in.

In Galtier's post game presser  he was asked about the play of Yazici. After the expected platitudes about Yacici's play, Galtier's added the following:

He has a strong relationship with Jonathan (David), they had been together in Milan. Tonight, they were very good defensively, they were very precise in their placement. I found them very complementary. it's good for a coach that a relationship is created between two players

As mentioned, the English press and commentators over various (BT) games have also been interested and cheering for him a bit. ( I have been able to catch almost everyone of their games on one broadcaster.) Without any specific Canadian connection.

It was still a decently priced transfer in the grand scheme of things and he was Premier League-linked. But also a story with some of the human interests elements of Antonio or even Vardy.  Playing what would be "non-league" football to scoring a tons of goals.  Not as close, not at as high a level as them yet but much quicker.