Jonathan David

Vince193

On 11/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, Club Linesman said:

He definitely looks stockier than I remember.  And shorter for some reason.  Always thought he was about 5’11 or so but he looks pretty short in Ligue 1.

When he first moved to Lille he was commenting on having to do more weights, so I guess it has had an effect on his build.

Edited by Trois Reds
Grammar

3 hours ago, h coach said:

So the highest potential rank goes to Gravenberch, Camavinga, Ansu Tati and Haaland. 

Davies up there, with Kulesevski.

At least this is a fresh and less cliche take than most we read. Makes me want to pay more attention to a few players I have not really watched.

We have an even younger kid at Barça now, Pedri, still 17 and a Canary Islander like Silva, who is really impressing, starting, scoring, a marvel of a footballer who wasn't on anyone's radar for this Golden Boy. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the highest potential rank goes to Gravenberch, Camavinga, Ansu Tati and Haaland. 

Davies up there, with Kulesevski.

At least this is a fresh and less cliche take than most we read. Makes me want to pay more attention to a few players I have not really watched.

We have an even younger kid at Barça now, Pedri, still 17 and a Canary Islander like Silva, who is really impressing, starting, scoring, a marvel of a footballer who wasn't on anyone's radar for this Golden Boy. 

Didn’t know Gravenberch was that highly touted but I do know Holland from 2022-2028 are expected to be the best they’ve ever been, led by Gravenberch.

Lille fans are turning on this guy, based on what they're saying online. Hard to be surprised. Lille have invested too much into him to not be patient, but he needs to buck up.

Side note, I started a game with Lille in Football Manager 2021... looks like they have a promising attacking midfielder out on loan (Angel Gomes). Never heard of the guy, but maybe next season he can inject some creativity into the team.

(Before anyone asks, yes I sold Ikone)

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Lille fans are turning on this guy, based on what they're saying online. Hard to be surprised. Lille have invested too much into him to not be patient, but he needs to buck up.

Side note, I started a game with Lille in Football Manager 2021... looks like they have a promising attacking midfielder out on loan (Angel Gomes). Never heard of the guy, but maybe next season he can inject some creativity into the team.

(Before anyone asks, yes I sold Ikone)

Angel Gomes has just signed on a free transfer from Manchester United. He was very highly rated for quite some time but he didn’t seem ready to make the step up, and apparently wanted first team salary to re-sign. Fair play to Lille to sign him and get him to agree to go out on loan right away. Will be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few years. 

6 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Angel Gomes has just signed on a free transfer from Manchester United. He was very highly rated for quite some time but he didn’t seem ready to make the step up, and apparently wanted first team salary to re-sign. Fair play to Lille to sign him and get him to agree to go out on loan right away. Will be interesting to see how he progresses in the next few years. 

He is loaned out to Boavista right now. Same club as Reggie Cannon and Alberth Elis.

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Lille fans are turning on this guy, based on what they're saying online. Hard to be surprised. Lille have invested too much into him to not be patient, 

I’ve noticed the same thing. There’s a lot of disappointment and some have already lost patience. Obviously he can turn it around but there’s a lot of work to be done and it needs to start soon.

25 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’ve noticed the same thing. There’s a lot of disappointment and some have already lost patience. Obviously he can turn it around but there’s a lot of work to be done and it needs to start soon.

I think they're being harsh (one poster said he doesn't do any defending, which is ridiculous), but I think it's very understandable why they are frustrated. Some appear to also be questioning his fitness.

Putting aside the fact that Jonathan David's current scoring drought is temporary, it's quite clear that Lille have generally looked better with David on the pitch, even when he doesn't score. In their best performance of the season, when they decisively beat a decent Milan side, he was one of the best players throughout. He makes the players around him play better, both through the things that he does and the space he creates. I was very pessimistic going into that match, more due to the way the team was set up to play than David's admittedly under par performances up to that point. However, after that game, I can say that I'm confident that he'll continue to get picked because he's just better than the alternatives, and that he'll start putting up numbers eventually. I predict that, come season's end, his overall goals/assists totals will be respectable. Next season, he gets back to somewhere closer to his Belgian numbers.