Jonathan David

Vince193

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was multitasking for much of the game - didn't realize that David drew the foul that resulted in the red.  That and the play-making pass on the first goal seems like a good days work, all things considered. 

He actually drew both fouls that resulted in yellows to the same defender in the span of 10 minutes, that resulted in the red.

Another day at the office for Lille, underperforming while dominating, then getting on their back foot. Even against 10 they had trouble containing Sparta in the last 20 minutes, as they have no pace-setter in the midfield to keep possession. 

Was thinking the ref was inconsistent, then realised it was my "neighbour" Xavi Estrada, from Catalonia. He called some, others not, drove Lille a bit nuts in the first half. In the end his decisions benefitted Lille, but still, not a high quality ref. 

UEFA reffing: yesterday Barça had a Belarus reffing team in Budapest and they were very good, top quality reffing, sharp, calm, consistent---which is not always common from a lesser league and not what you might expect from a corrupt football federation like theirs. That said, Spanish reffing is a big headache, the supposed best are always about to come out of nowhere with something wild and incoherent.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Having now seen the highlights of the match, that 2nd goal was nothing like what the posters here were making it sound like. I was expecting a collision where David was sent flying by Ikone or that his own teammate stripped him of the ball that he was already in full possession of. Neither happened.

Ikone probably did have a bur under his saddle mind you as he was the prime goat on the goal Lille conceded, and seemed to have his teammates screaming at him for his poor lackadaisical work in not shutting down that cross. So he knew that he owed his team a goal.

In a game they needed to win, and with a goal down, the coach brought on Yilmaz to partner with David and subbed off Yazici.  Galtier has stuck with David (normal squad rotation aside) despite the goal drought so I have no doubt that he sees the contribution that JD is making to the team’s overall play.  He seems pretty stoic so is hard to read, but it definitely seems like he “gets it” and is looking far beyond the goals stat to assess David.   

On 12/4/2020 at 11:15 AM, dyslexic nam said:

In a game they needed to win, and with a goal down, the coach brought on Yilmaz to partner with David and subbed off Yazici.  Galtier has stuck with David (normal squad rotation aside) despite the goal drought so I have no doubt that he sees the contribution that JD is making to the team’s overall play.  He seems pretty stoic so is hard to read, but it definitely seems like he “gets it” and is looking far beyond the goals stat to assess David.   

When he met with the press last week, Galtier said that even though David can play with his back to the goal, he wants him  making runs into the box instead. If that's the case, the only target forward they have is Yilmaz and he combines best with David.

9 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Upset at being subbed out, Yazici didn't shake Galtier's extended hand as he was coming off the field so it'll be interesting to see if he gets any minutes tomorrow.  You pull that stunt with some gaffers and you might sit for awhile.

And lo and behold, David and Yilmaz starting up front against Monaco with Yazici on the bench.  

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Taken off in the 61st minute, presumably just for fresh legs given that he played the full match Thursday. I only started watching at the 2nd half (thought it was an 8am start) but he looked like one of the few Lille players that didn't look sloppy out there in his touches.

Lille plays Celtic on Thursday, Galtier probably wants him fully rested by then.