Jonathan David

Vince193

I know this must have been brought up already, but David's best game was when Galtier deployed the 4-2-3-1 formation. He has the luxury to experiment with the team's success at the moment but I feel that he will eventually move David to his natural Attacking Midfield position as a #10 instead of 9.

It's not hard to tell that the team is better with David on the pitch than on the bench.

If Yazici can stay hot, having David as the playmaker feeding him these kind of passes might be the best solution until David gets his #9 mojo back down the road

Edited by Ansem

33 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Other than the superb set up for Yazici's goal, that little back flick to Yilmaz is the type of skill that David displayed at Gent. You could tell that Yilmaz froze a second as he probably didn't expect it. Only 1 game but  a real good performance for David.

Attackers on Lille probably aren’t used to selfless passes...

Everyone here wants the rest of the players to feed David, but a lot of those guys are fairly talented and do their own thing. They make bad decisions on the pitch, as observed, while David does not. They miss easy assists, because David's runs are well done. But the team actually benefits from this slash and burn style, rivals have problems with the rashness, the speed, the unpredictability. 

So I think it's pointless to complain about the others, they are on a run.

David missed on a breakaway first half, before the first goal. He has to take what he gets, finish better--and keep playing for the team.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Everyone here wants the rest of the players to feed David, but a lot of those guys are fairly talented and do their own thing. They make bad decisions on the pitch, as observed, while David does not. They miss easy assists, because David's runs are well done. But the team actually benefits from this slash and burn style, rivals have problems with the rashness, the speed, the unpredictability. 

So I think it's pointless to complain about the others, they are on a run.

David missed on a breakaway first half, before the first goal. He has to take what he gets, finish better--and keep playing for the team.

Pretty much this - reading this board would give you the impression that the sole purpose of Lille should be to get David goals. Hes had more than enough chances and has failed to capitalize. 

I've been one of Bamba's harshest critics but credit to him for the pass to David for the third goal.  He actually receives a pass from David to start the play and he sees the play developing as David makes a hard diagonal run into the box to receive the pass back.

It's not that guys like Bamba and Ikone never pass to an open player because they're out and out selfish players.  It's just that when these guys get the ball anywhere near the box, they get tunnel vision. It's not in their game to anticipate runs into space

I've been watching Lille since Bielsa and their style of play, however selfish, is effective for Ligue 1. Outside of Europe teams like OL, OM and PSG, you can dominate a lot of mid- and lower- table Ligue 1 teams through sheer physicality, whether it's speed or power. Players like Pepe and Osimhen were so successful because along with their obvious skill, they were a physical force.  When they move to a better league, they struggle because can't beat up defenders like in Ligue 1.

Long story short, don't expect Lille to massively restructure their attacking  game accommodate David. I think the other players are slowly starting to appreciate how well David makes use of space and for sure he'll get better service as the season moves along but in crunch situations, guys like Bamba will go back to what their most comfortable with.

Edited by Snowcrash

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

I've been one of Bamba's harshest critics but credit to him for the pass to David for the third goal.  He actually receives a pass from David to start the play and he sees the play developing as David makes a hard diagonal run into the box to receive the pass back.

It's not that guys like Bamba and Ikone never pass to an open player because they're out and out selfish players.  It's just that when these guys get the ball anywhere near the box, they get tunnel vision. It's not in their game to anticipate runs into space

I've been watching Lille since Bielsa and their style of play, however selfish, is effective for Ligue 1. Outside of Europe teams like OL, OM and PSG, you can dominate a lot of mid- and lower- table Ligue 1 teams through sheer physicality, whether it's speed or power. Players like Pepe and Osimhen were so successful because along with their obvious skill, they were a physical force.  When they move to a better league, they struggle because can't beat up defenders like in Ligue 1.

Long story short, don't expect Lille to massively restructure their attacking  game accommodate David. I think the other players are slowly starting to appreciate how well David makes use of space and for sure he'll get better service as the season moves along but in crunch situations, guys like Bamba will go back to what their most comfortable with.

Maybe playing with David will even help Bamba and others round out there game.

Late to post but I thought it was a great game for David, even though his drought continues. Did a lot of simple things right, drew fouls, etc. I think he had like three decent chances blocked, seems to be happening a lot to him lately. Great pass for the 3rd goal.

Ikone and Bamba definitely pissed me off, he could have gotten a goal if they had awareness/weren't hogs, whatever their problem is.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not much to see.  Hit and hope for most of his time on the pitch.

Bamba one of the most frustrating players.  With honourable mention to Weah for strolling offside and then strolling back to touch the ball.

It's mind-boggling how a professional player can be so brain dead.