Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Match ends 1-1.

With Sparta smashing Celtic the battle for the 2 spots is wide open.

Lille takes on Sparta Prague next Thursday 

Two pts up on third place Sparta.  We should be able to get enough off Sparta or Celtic to get through.  Sparta's last game is against Milan, so someone is dropping points. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With PSG's 2-2 draw today, Lille can tie them in the standing with a win on Sunday. 

Another 4-5 teams are also in a fight for the league lead, with some like Marseille having games in hand.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s game! There could be some huge story lines with a win and a good performance 

Short turnaround from Thursday game against Milan so there might be some load management with another Europa game against Sparta this coming Thursday.  That said, Lille lost to a bottom feeding team after their they beat Milan a few weeks back so it could be all hands on deck for Saint Etienne, at least to start.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Short turnaround from Thursday game against Milan so there might be some load management with another Europa game against Sparta this coming Thursday.  That said, Lille lost to a bottom feeding team after their they beat Milan a few weeks back so it could be all hands on deck for Saint Etienne, at least to start.

I was in Saint Etienne once, one summer, and looked rather hungrily down at that stadium, which for me is one of the most mythical in France. Along with the Vélodrome in Marseille--which I've also seen only from the outside--it's the stadium I'd most like to catch a match at.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was in Saint Etienne once, one summer, and looked rather hungrily down at that stadium, which for me is one of the most mythical in France. Along with the Vélodrome in Marseille--which I've also seen only from the outside--it's the stadium I'd most like to catch a match at.

Pierre Mauroy where Lille plays is also very nice.  Not as but much history as some of the other stadiums but fantastic sightlines.  Very little separation between the field and the stands. It feels compact but fits just over 50,000.  

So he got maybe 10 minutes, barely touched it, as they drew 1-1.

That was a terrible performance from Lille, with awful give-aways from the CBs, major hogging of the ball from mids and not taking obvious passes. Stalling through every line, even killing their own counters. They have so many players who are like immature teens wanting to have the ball at their feet, doodling around, and not advancing play with any criteria.

Which says a lot about the level--there are guys there I seriously doubt could play in 2nd flight in Spain, or surely England Championship. The step down when you see a match like this from the top 4 leagues is very clear. Obviously, not always, but on days like this, definitely. 

I understand that the coach wanted to rest David, St. Etienne had lost 7 straight.Yilmaz back from not playing was rather poor, so I think it is clear that David helps the quality of play a lot. As does Sanches. So you could not even say Lille deserved to win with the late push and better 2nd half, they were rotten IMO pretty well all the way through. 

12 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Reserve the best for Europa? I don't get the strategy from Lille's coach this time at all...

For me, I would concentrate on competing with PSG and Lyon head to head and secure a bye for next year's Champions League.

I guess he is now trying to give all his players more minutes and keep them competitive with each other. 

Even odder than David is the case of Yazici, who has started rather few matches, like only 2 in the league, and when he has, performs well. He must be bewildered  when he's scoring at a high level and getting scraps from the coach.