CPL new teams speculation

I don't understand what he is trying to say? 

He admits it is not a lot of money. Apparently at most this was $875 for business use on that platform. Optics? The League is trying something different to drum up interest. I don't see the problem. 

There are issues with the league and the wages, along with players having a voice. But for less the $1000 bucks on marketing this just seems like an odd way to take a shot at the league. 

"Players?" Which players and how many. How did they frame their complaints. 

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

Rollins is trying to stir shit now and say the players are pissed they spent money on this.

1.  It's just a bit of fun that cost the square root of sweet eff all.

2.  If a gimmicky talking head is a reliable sign of expanded employment opportunities and union membership in tomorrow's CPL are the only things you have to complain about your life doesn't sound too rough to me.

12 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I don't understand what he is trying to say? 

He admits it is not a lot of money. Apparently at most this was $875 for business use on that platform. Optics? The League is trying something different to drum up interest. I don't see the problem. 

There are issues with the league and the wages, along with players having a voice. But for less the $1000 bucks on marketing this just seems like an odd way to take a shot at the league. 

"Players?" Which players and how many. How did they frame their complaints. 

They probably spent more money on this.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, red card said:

Covid hesitancy varies region by region and by period. Nova Scotia was one of the provinces least impacted by covid. HFX was a big draw pre covid, so more people assessed the risk was worth it to attend.

In Ontario, when restrictions were completely lifted, even the Leafs haven't sold out every game. Forge has a decent pull relative to CPL standards but not enough that some decided the risk was not worth it yet.

Cdn MLS team attendances have been decimated more - yes, there are other factors in play but given these issues over layed with covid, many decided to opt out. Really noticeable with TFC since even during the bad years, they would get 15k+.

I'd back this up by saying, as someone living in Halifax, Covid was never really that scary here outside of the first few months when we thought the world was ending. In reality we have barely been touched by covid and any time they let us go free, everything is packed. Just to hammer home the point, nobody wears masks here at the wanderers grounds. 6000+ jam packed, no masks. We just never really had Covid here like other places did. People aren't hesitant. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Love expansion, hate the unbalanced-ness.
But in the same breathe, look at Forges schedule…so it doesn’t really matter.

We don't know what season this new team will start. For all we know they will start at the same time as the Saskatchewan team. We don't even know when (or technically even "if") Saskatchewan will start, and they made their announcement 8 months ago.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

We don't know what season this new team will start. For all we know they will start at the same time as the Saskatchewan team. We don't even know when (or technically even "if") Saskatchewan will start, and they made their announcement 8 months ago.

2024 seems the earliest at this point. Unless a hell of alot hasn't happened behind the scenes with city and province.

Back to the teaser, I don't have a problem with the expenditure but making it so blatant it's cameo looks bad imo and makes the league look small time. Surely they have links to get Romano to do it outside of cameo so It doesn't look like he is "Canadian Premier what now?"

Does Cameo require that their name appears in the video? Or maybe you have to pay a higher fee to have it not be branded? I haven't heard of Cameo before half an hour ago, so I am just wildly guessing. Does anybody know for sure that you can just remove their name from the video you purchase through them?

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I guess I'm in a unique situation where I don't get the video and do not get why people are complaining about the video. Can I just pretend the video never happened?

I think people are mostly complaining because the players are apparently complaining (behind the scenes). 

I think it's mostly a marketing failure because I don't think most of us even know who this "famous" player is. Honestly thought it was a reporter until coming on here. The news of an expansion was news enough and probably didn't need this gimmick. 

6 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Did Clanachan kick Rollins dog or something, pathetic tweet.

I swear he has to lob a turd in the punchbowl about every 2-3 weeks so that everyone remembers who he is.  Does he really have some sort of pipeline of contacts with the CPL players that he can speak for them??  How about a MLS recap he must have contacts there...a nice hard hitting article on TFCs colossal failure of a season.  I'll give you a title "its about winning stupid",  

8 hours ago, Big_M said:

thing is players probably dont separate the two or they link them...in their mind its ''you cut on costs and salaries and now youre doing this?''

Guess the problem is people were led to believe they were getting a relatively big budget D1 rather than a bargain basement operation and nobody did more to talk up a soccer version of the CFL than Duane Rollins.

I would be happy to see a league with relatively low team budgets at whatever level is actually sustainable with significantly more clubs but the future direction they have in mind isn't really clear given how little has been heard from people like David Clanachan and Scott Mitchell this season.

My money is on Fraser Valley given the trademark registration, playing at the Langley Events Centre with the investor that was named on Reddit and Rob Friend as the public face. Think they would be better off with a 2023 launch to provide plenty of time to market the team with a series of friendlies next summer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I'm so confused by modern society.  This Cameo thing is some service that some asshole came up with so people can pay people who are already rich and famous a wad of cash to say something?  Now the person who came up with this 'service' is taking a chunk and making money hand over fist for doing nothing.

Rant over, now back to the topic:

If there's some sort of pay scale according to how famous the person is, at least Fabrizio Romano isn't the most famous reporter in the world, so the league might not have splashed out all that much cash for this.