CPL new teams speculation

I'm not surprised by 2023. It was the location I was most curious about and that's not resolved. As I said, they don't want to be at the LEC. I think they're all hoping that making the announcement will get another municipality moving or stepping forward with an offer.

Edited by Watchmen

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

So they will own both the Vancouver club and Pacific?

They always wanted to be in lower mainland BC so Pacific will probably be up for sale. Find the Vancouver branding rather than Fraser Valley the most interesting angle. Maybe Swangard will be used now even though they say they are talking to multiple municipalities about a new stadium.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think they would be better off with a 2023 launch to provide plenty of time to market the team with a series of friendlies next summer.

Why? It's not like the market has no idea what professional sport is. There are plenty of pro sports teams to choose from in the Lower Mainland and people paying to see soccer is not a foreign concept.

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I thought I remember hearing that Friend and Simpson would split and one of them would run the mainland club.

In the article it says they will both be involved.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-awards-expansion-club-in-vancouver-to-sixfive-sports-entertainment

"SixFive, a Canadian-based investment fund, is run by managing partner Dean Shillington (also the founder of Knightsbridge Capital in Vancouver) and former Canadian men’s national team players and SixFive investors Rob Friend and Josh Simpson"

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Not for me. Couple that with the images they sent out, I'm not down. I avoid Vancouver like the plague 

I get it. Locals have better knowledge. Just remember that these propaganda pieces are mostly written in Toronto where they can barely remeeber that Vancouver is not on Vancouver Island. ;)