CPL new teams speculation

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm a Toronto person. But I have to ask, why not play at Swanguard?

Too close and similar market to the Whitecaps. I love Swangard but it doesn't make sense. Plus Swangard is city owned and clearly there is a real estate aspect at play that makes this worthwhile for the owners

Edited by SpursFlu

Calls it a franchise

Says next up is Montreal but we're not anywhere near that

Calls the match between the two BC teams the ferry derby

LSSE (for Saskatoon) were given the rights to negotiate for a franchise, with that franchise comes conditions and the Vancouver group cleared those conditions so they are franchise number 9 and once LSSE clear those conditions they would become the next franchise

Still looking at a potential 4-6 clubs that are talking to them currently

Brought two teams to L1O for 2022 which have been very vocal about their willingness to learn how to move forward in a proper format to qualify and apply for a cpl franchise down the road. Talking about de Guzman's Simcoe County Rovers and Electric City

13 minutes ago, ted said:

At one point MLS was made up of ten teams with eight of those teams owned by two men.

It's not great, but it's not the end of the world.

Agreed, but it's also something they need to get away from ASAP. It's not a great look, and both MLS and the CFL have been mocked or having it. It is the kind of thing that gives a league (any league) a bit more of a minor league feel.

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Calls it a franchise...

Would be good if they ditched the whole clubs not franchises and pro/rel pitch from the league launch and started being honest about that sort of thing. Based on what has been frequently rumoured the Pacific FC group obtained territorial rights to lower mainland BC at launch at the initial entry fee.

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Would be good if they ditched the whole clubs not franchises and pro/rel pitch from the league launch and started being honest about that sort of thing. Based on what has been frequently rumoured the Pacific FC group obtained territorial rights to lower mainland BC at launch at the initial entry fee.

They had the rights to BC from the start as I understand it, and Victoria was the fall-back when Mayor Stewie offered them a sweet deal in Langford.

With the whole World Cup facility tie in buzz I'm calling Burnaby Lake. With a National Tennis facility going there, new arena, giant soccer facility already there, towers condos going all around, skytrain etc etc. It makes a lot of sense 

No offense to the Whitecaps facility but it's a terrible location 

The more I look at this the more I think they're really looking to jump right in and compete with the Whitecaps 

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like the Vancouver team is happening for sure (compared to Saskatoon).

Perhaps they play somewhere temporary (Swanguard?) while they build their permanent home?

They have indeed called Vancouver their "ninth club".  I'm not sure that is entirely due to when the newest expansion teams are slated to start play.  It is a though Saskatoon is not quite a certainty.

With FV coming in, if Saskatoon happens Kelowna should be next - there are 400,000 people in the Okanagan Valley within 50 minutes of downtown Kelowna now which is the same size as Victoria and it is growing way faster, albeit more spread out.  Would give you a nice little cluster of 6 clubs in a western conference with significant travel savings for operations.  Come up with an imbalanced schedule involving 2 home and away with each western team and one away trip to the clubs from Winnipeg east per season makes a lot of sense for long term financial viability.

Fraser Valley, Van Isle, Okanagan, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon is a perfect western conference

Hamilton, York, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Halifax would be the ideal eastern six

Just have to decide who gets stuck with Winnipeg and the travel burden there.

Edited by Footscray