CPL new teams speculation

29 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Ozzie still can't help himself with a disingenuous jab implying Ottawa supports did not pay for their home opener where IIRC, they at least had to put $5 down for a seat. 

It actually was a true "pay what you want" scenario. I already have seasons but was curious about the idea, and when I checked the TD Place site you could pick tickets for $0. I recall someone on here posting that around half of the spectators decided to throw a few bones at Atletico, but no idea on how much gate-driven revenue was generated. 

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Coquitlam's stadium is inadequate and would need to be built up substantially, something they have shown little interest in.  I remember it being discussed as a possibility for WFC2 "with renovations" and the renovations sounded like a no-go (regardless of league/team).

Surrey has shown little to no interest in building a stadium. The one caveat is that Cloverdale was one of the proposed locations. That's not a great site, but the new transit line out that way does have a Cloverdale stop that might make it slightly more interesting. But it's still a bad location. 

Would have to be some private money put into it to add seats to town centre I'm sure.

I agree on Cloverdale, I try to spend as little time there as possible 😅.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

30 minutes ago, narduch said:

Interesting.

Any guesses as to where?

By logic I would think Moncton with the stadium being there already 

You have to think that the league wants to be on the mainland so Fraser Valley with those earlier reports of Bundesliga being linked.

Those 2 cuts the travel time for both Wanderers and Pacific while providing an instant rivalry.

Pop up stadium / modular stadiums can be built very fast if the land is secured (bought or leased) in the valley.

As for Quebec, makes sense for European investors to be interested in buying in now while prices are low. There is a world cup here around the corner after all

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think he mentioned he had been to both markets this year as well. Quick look at his Instagram shows he travelled from the island to the Okanagan at least once, and I doubt there was much other travel given the pandemic 🧐 Kelowna and somewhere in the Valley/Surrey? Weren't there rumours of an Okanagan-based academy putting a team in the proposed BCL1? Maybe they're thinking bigger

6 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I’m pretty sure Fraser Valley has been all but confirmed for 2022 and would be in by now if not for the pandemic, and Moncton would be a nice rival for Halifax.

Really? I know nothing about the bid. Who are the parties involved and what's the stadium situation going to be?

On 8/25/2021 at 3:42 PM, Macksam said:

Really? I know nothing about the bid. Who are the parties involved and what's the stadium situation going to be?

Stadium is likely to be at the LEC grounds in Langley, its basically prepped for up to 7K seating to be installed already.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/sports/canadian-premier-league-possibly-eyeing-fraser-valley-expansion/

The Transfermarkt story says it has learned that several German Bundesliga teams are interested in investing in a CPL club, which makes the possibility of expansion more likely.

Their sources suggest that Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Werder Bremen could be among those interested in investing.

It’s unclear which Fraser Valley city a CPL team would be located in, but venue possibilities could be Abbotsford’s Rotary Stadium, Langley’s McLeod Stadium or Chilliwack’s Exhibition Stadium. Another possibility could be the new turf field facility near the Langley Events Centre.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Stadium is likely to be at the LEC grounds in Langley, its basically prepped for up to 7K seating to be installed already.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/sports/canadian-premier-league-possibly-eyeing-fraser-valley-expansion/

The Transfermarkt story says it has learned that several German Bundesliga teams are interested in investing in a CPL club, which makes the possibility of expansion more likely.

Their sources suggest that Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Werder Bremen could be among those interested in investing.

It’s unclear which Fraser Valley city a CPL team would be located in, but venue possibilities could be Abbotsford’s Rotary Stadium, Langley’s McLeod Stadium or Chilliwack’s Exhibition Stadium. Another possibility could be the new turf field facility near the Langley Events Centre.

Things change constantly, so who knows where things are at now. But my understanding is that if the CPL wanted to be in Langley, there'd already be a team there.  Further, with an ongoing financial crunch for teams, I wonder how interested those teams listed still are to buy a team in the league and how close an eye teams are keeping on Ottawa to see if it's working for them.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Obviously they meant Red Bull...I'm sorry, Rasen Ball Leipzig. 

21 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Things change constantly, so who knows where things are at now. But my understanding is that if the CPL wanted to be in Langley, there'd already be a team there. 

Without any actual knowledge (I am pretty out of the loop these days) I believe that Rob and Dean would have a team in Langley this year if COVID had not thrown a wrench in the business. I understand they were interested in selliing their interest in PFC  but when COVID basically shut down the business after the first year there couldn't really be any takers.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Without any actual knowledge (I am pretty out of the loop these days) I believe that Rob and Dean would have a team in Langley this year if COVID had not thrown a wrench in the business. I understand they were interested in selliing their interest in PFC  but when COVID basically shut down the business after the first year there couldn't really be any takers.

Do you know if Rob has much to do with actual operations for Pacific, like recruitment and scouting?

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Do you know if Rob has much to do with actual operations for Pacific, like recruitment and scouting?

Like I said, out of the loop but he was very involved in 2019 and I have no reason to doubt that continued.

8 hours ago, ted said:

There definitely were rumours circulating about the imminent announcement of a Langley based team during the 2019 fall season but nothing happened on that. COVID-19 didn't emerge as an issue until late January 2020 so not sure that's the cause and effect relationship involved.

If I had to guess my money would be on interest cooling on Langley once Ottawa was identified as the probable eighth club for 2020. The mechanics of finding a way to have the Fury owners head off into the sunset with sizable financial compensation from Miami FC and no ongoing legal wrangling were probably already well advanced by that point.

There was a major investment in an indoor training facility for Pacific that made it look like Langford and Greater Victoria was now the main focus for the "Port City" investors but on the flip side the hydro pole issue has rumbled on and there was the info about Pacific backing a soccer related Royal Athletic Park renovation proposal.

Langley and Kelowna appear to be locations some people on Reddit have concluded Manuel Veth was referring to based on a comment about having visited both this year and hunting through his instagram.

Don't doubt he has been fed that sort of information by someone (ditto with the recent tweets from a podcaster in Quebec) but I suspect this sort of rhetoric would be coming from David Clanachan on Onesoccer if it was a sure thing and it may just be a way to create an ongoing positive buzz around the league online in a Rollins/Totera pre-launch sort of way.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about The Fraser Valley bid . Hopefully they will have a suitable staduim in place, Ive been hearing rumours about Barrie Ontario, But I think its important that they put a team in Quebec City, they can grab some of the french speaking market , plus a great road trip 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Could anyone who knows the area explain why it would be a mistake to build there?

It;s right on the western edge  of Mississuga between 9th Line and Highway 407. It used to be part of Milton, but was tranferred(sold for a minimal amount) to Mississauga. There was talk of a large indoor soccer facility in that area before they one at Paramount(Hershey) Centre. If that is thelocation(Derry Rd. & 9th Line) it is on the GO bus route although there isn't much local transit.

Dino would probably prefer mid-town Mississauga(my guess0, but driving central Mississauga vis as bad as Toronto

Edited by to70

24 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Could anyone who knows the area explain why it would be a mistake to build there?

It can be a good decision if it spurs development around the stadium. But as Rossi noted, it didn't happen with the hockey arena other than for a facility housing 2-3 football pitches & basketball court. Surrounded by highways, it was built assuming Mississauga people would drive 20-30 minutes to the eastern edge of the city. Maybe for one-off events but not regularly. All the various failed iterations of hockey & basketball teams through the years have had a hard time filling it.

The stadium will be at the western edge of the city surrounded by highways, undeveloped land, golf course and lowly populated streets of mostly new townhomes. 

Not near any of Mississauga's 4-5 major bus transit centres, 8 GO stations and soon to be built LRT line. It would be just as easy to go to BMO for those living in the east and south parts of Mississauga.

One of the councillor says in the article that the stadium is intended for all of the Peel region since Brampton is building a cricket stadium. In this regard, it is more easier for Milton and western Brampton residents to get to it - along with half of Oakville.