CPL new teams speculation

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Halifax is drawing 6000+ again, so the idea that's holding things back in a big way elsewhere is wishful thinking IMO.

Covid hesitancy varies region by region and by period. Nova Scotia was one of the provinces least impacted by covid. HFX was a big draw pre covid, so more people assessed the risk was worth it to attend.

In Ontario, when restrictions were completely lifted, even the Leafs haven't sold out every game. Forge has a decent pull relative to CPL standards but not enough that some decided the risk was not worth it yet.

Cdn MLS team attendances have been decimated more - yes, there are other factors in play but given these issues over layed with covid, many decided to opt out. Really noticeable with TFC since even during the bad years, they would get 15k+.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think the worst TFC ever did was average 18K.  And a lot of the bad years they were still 20+. To see them drawing 5000 lately is really shocking.    

I have a few pals in Toronto and they say the prices are absurd. Honestly is MLS  even more appealing then CPL. I get it is for sure a higher quality - but and absurd amount of teams - most of who no one cares about. 

52 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I have a few pals in Toronto and they say the prices are absurd. Honestly is MLS  even more appealing then CPL. I get it is for sure a higher quality - but and absurd amount of teams - most of who no one cares about. 

When MLS was at 20 teams, I could keep track of all the teams. I knew the best few players of each team, with maybe one or two exceptions. I knew if a team was great, good, average, or bad. With all the expansion (and of course CPL has played a big part in taking my attention) it's impossible to keep track of teams anymore. I watch virtually every TFC game, and today I went on the MLS website (which happens rarely these days) and saw the name of the golden boot race leader, and didn't recognize the name. Even though on this board I get plenty of Tajon updates, it was only a couple weeks ago that I realized New England was on a historic pace. Most other teams I couldn't tell you if they are above or below the playoff line.

Anyways, for TFC, the numbers are so shocking this year because there were no season tickets this year, so you don't have 2/3 of the tickets to each game sold before the season starts. With TFC's season done before any tickets went on sale, those are really tough tickets to sell.

As for expansion in CPL, the fact that Edmonton and York have to figure things out shouldn't slow down ownership groups in Saskatchewan or Quebec (aside from maybe making those owners hesitate). It's not like this is all done by one guy at a desk, deciding if they should spend their time on expansion or growing the existing teams. And like Ted said, growing the league can help the struggling teams as well. I still wish York United would build that stadium they originally talked about. You know what they say. If you build it...

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The key to having a lower budget pro league that actually lasts in North America is sticking to regional bus travel as much as possible and having full access to gameday revenue streams at venues you control.

Do we actually no which teams are getting access to venues revenue streams? Valour and Forge would have full control (even if for accounting purposes it's going through another division).  Pacific was given a substantial share of the naming rights to Starlight field.  I'm unsure of how the revenue sharing agreements in place for the other stadiums/cities.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The league the CSA has always aspired to having has been a replica of the CFL primarily in the larger cities with lots of air travel and with the clubs involved renting somebody else's large non-soccer specific stadium to appear big-time and major league.

5 of the 8 are soccer-specific, or at least not overly large.  And 2 of those control the revenues, which you've pointed out is key to the business and I agree with.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I still wish York United would build that stadium they originally talked about. You know what they say. If you build it...

Sure, but you also know what else they say - "Location location location".  We've seen soccer specific stadiums built down in the US for teams like Dallas, Chicago, and Colorado, and the location is poor and attendance struggles.  Just building a stadium isn't enough if it's in the wrong spot, and I think York's struggles might be more than just not having their own stadium.

The discouraging thing about York is that they are in a very good location for subway and highway access. There's a reason why Angus McNab says they need to fill York Lions stadium first before there's a possibility of building their own because locations with affordable land available are unlikely to be as good in access terms.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Anyways, for TFC, the numbers are so shocking this year because there were no season tickets this year, so you don't have 2/3 of the tickets to each game sold before the season starts. With TFC's season done before any tickets went on sale, those are really tough tickets to sell.

Quite a few Valour STHs suspended their subscription this season.  They keep right of 1st refusal on their seats for 2022 but they were refunded for the 2021 season.  You get talking up and down the concorse over the season and you bring back a feeling of "next year" for those suspects.  Some made it back into the park for one or two but most didn't.  Can't say as I blame them. 

I seriously think 2022 is go to be the Grand Re-Opening for the CPL. 

On 11/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, Big_M said:

many cities could have a team...two big issues or questions are stadium that meet requirements and investor...if an exemption could be provided for a couple years concerning the stadium maybe quebec could have a team next year because it doesnt seem like they currently have a stadium that meets requirements (permanent football lines....)

Phoenix Rising of the USL Championship put up a nice compact pup up stadium a few years ago, fits around 5 to 70000 I think and from highlights I’ve seen of games there it looks like a great place to watch a game . Stands on all four sides with no open spaces between the stands. If this stadium was in the CPL it would be the best stadium in the league to watch a game. We need to find ways to put up pop up stadiums like this in the CPL . If York United had something like what Phoenix has I would be at every game no questions asked .

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think the worst TFC ever did was average 18K.  And a lot of the bad years they were still 20+. To see them drawing 5000 lately is really shocking.    

Yup it’s become the elephant in the room that no one seems to want to talk about . TFC attendance has been a joke , ok no one expected the over 20000 a game they were getting since they started in 2007 but you would think at least 10000 a game since they allowed fans back this season , but to go from over 20000 to let’s be honest they have been getting like maybe 2000 a game if that , it’s a complete joke . Tell me of another team in any sports in North America that has gone from an average of over 20000 a game to barely 2000 a game since fans where allowed back this season ? I don’t think there are any that have seen such a dramatic decrease it’s crazy .

4 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Tell me of another team in any sports in North America that has gone from an average of over 20000 a game to barely 2000 a game since fans where allowed back this season ? I don’t think there are any that have seen such a dramatic decrease it’s crazy .

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2021-mls-attendance/

According to this link TFC went from 25,048 per game in 2019 to 8,490 this season (not "barely 2000"). NYCFC went from 21,107 to 5,429. Seattle went from 40,247 to 24,646. This year is a complicated mess of weird circumstances and not too many conclusions should be drawn from it. I am really curious to see what attendance numbers are like next year, in particular for CPL. I don't expect it to be up to 2019 levels, but I hope it's somewhat close... if people are essentially over COVID at that point.

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They paid for that “announcement” through cameo so doubt it. 

Hoping for a team in Quebec.

Good point. Fooled me.

Sounds like it's only 1 team.

So perhaps an unbalanced schedule again if they plan to start play in 2022.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I don't know what cameo is so I don't get your reasoning. Why does that suggest it won't be Italian investment?

Cameo is a platform where you can pay celebrities to say a message of your choosing on camera. If an Italian club were to own a CPL club they would probably be able to get Romano without Cameo.  

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Give a trophy to whoever said that any announcements for a new clubs comes after months of work behind the scenes!

Everyone. Everyone is saying there's months of work behind the scenes. It's the year of expansion that's the debate, not that it's not happening.

I really hope its a Canadian homegrown investor group. I know we should be grateful to have investors at all but I really hate the 'Atletico' thing. It just seems really bush leagues to me. Not even the fact its owned by Athletico but the kept the kits and the name 'Athletico'. Might me just me but I hate it. Would hate just as much to see 'Inter Leval' with the same monicer and uniforms etc....