Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

I don't know if he's in Lyon's plans, so I think that anything different would be good. He's at a point where he needs to play in something better than National 2. Is the Impact a great fit? I'm not sure since he would be behind Sagna, but I'm guessing that they would want to not play Sagna 36 matches this year and he'll get some rest but Garde hasn't been one to really use someone outside of his XI except when it came to centrebacks for the second half of the year. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I don't know if he's in Lyon's plans, so I think that anything different would be good. He's at a point where he needs to play in something better than National 2. Is the Impact a great fit? I'm not sure since he would be behind Sagna, but I'm guessing that they would want to not play Sagna 36 matches this year and he'll get some rest but Garde hasn't been one to really use someone outside of his XI except when it came to centrebacks for the second half of the year. 

I wasn’t impressed with Garde last season. I had high hopes, but he seemed like he didn’t trust any player that was younger than 25... could just be a difficult place to be a coach though, thanks to Saputo. I know Garde has had plenty of experience developing players, but I really didn’t see any of that last year.

Hopefully ZBG can break through and earn his trust. If not, he will be glued to the bench all year...

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

29 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I wasn’t impressed with Garde last season. I had high hopes, but he seemed like he didn’t trust any player that was younger than 25... could just be a difficult place to be a coach though, thanks to Saputo. I know Garde has had plenty of experience developing players, but I really didn’t see any of that last year.

Hopefully ZBG can break through and earn his trust. If not, he will be glued to the bench all year...

Exactly. This is my worry. It isn't necessarily that MLS is a bad move, but being benched there would be too bad. He flat out needs to play and I hope he does in Montreal.

The other thing is that since the scheduling is different, Lyon could recall him at the end of the MLS season and he could continue in France

Edited by Ansem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting article about Lyon's academy system. Probably don't get the same credit from posters on here, apparently rated second on the world after Real Madrid.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821342-the-talent-factory-how-lyon-built-a-production-line-for-world-class-talent

Hopefully Garde has started to implement some of this with Montreal's academy.

Edited by Stryker911

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, nolando said:

I thought he was an absolute revelation today. Hardly put a foot in wrong, and he had a lot to deal with on his side, often in tight quarters. He was quite good going forward as well. Very impressive overall.

His speed was amazing. When he took off with the ball down the middle, I thought he was gonna go end to end. Finally we have some RB’s he and  Godinho are no joke! 

21 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

All that matters now is that he gets some real playing time in Montreal.he is a dynamic player. I was watching at a pub and the tv was a little far away, several times I thought the nice play was from David only to realize after that it was ZBG.

Agreed. You can see he has been so well trained at the professional level. I have some real concerns about what this season will look like for him but at least he's a proven national team commodity (in my eye) who deserves a shot to prove the same at Montreal, dinosaur foreign incumbent or not.

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Agreed. You can see he has been so well trained at the professional level. I have some real concerns about what this season will look like for him but at least he's a proven national team commodity (in my eye) who deserves a shot to prove the same at Montreal, dinosaur foreign incumbent or not.

Agreed, honestly the playing time will come this yr. Yes, he's behind Sagna, but Sagna is 35+ and I don't see Sagna playing 90 mins every game this season, especially with the travel, scheduling and games on turf over an entire MLS season. 

Let's remember he's now the understudy of French speaking Sagna who is arguably a top 5 RB all time for France. Pretty amazing development experience for a 20 yr old.

As mentioned above Lyon takes it's player development very serious, top 3 clubs in world. This only helps us.

Also, what's annoying is when ppl on here keep saying "French 4th tier" shouldn't be playing for us, without even fully understanding the French league pyramid. 

Anyways hopefully he stays fit and keeps developing, very exciting prospect for us.

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Agreed, honestly the playing time will come this yr. Yes, he's behind Sagna, but Sagna is 35+ and I don't see Sagna playing 90 mins every game this season, especially with the travel, scheduling and games on turf over an entire MLS season. 

Let's remember he's now the understudy of French speaking Sagna who is arguably a top 5 RB all time for France. Pretty amazing development experience for a 20 yr old.

As mentioned above Lyon takes it's player development very serious, top 3 clubs in world. This only helps us.

Also, what's annoying is when ppl on here keep saying "French 4th tier" shouldn't be playing for us, without even fully understanding the French league pyramid. 

Anyways hopefully he stays fit and keeps developing, very exciting prospect for us.

Was going to post, but you've put it perfectly!

I'll simply say +1

Honestly I think ZBG has been average to fine, I don't think he's that good to be brutally honest here. And it's not like he has played bad for Canada, not at all what I'm saying; but we really haven't been tested so these are the games Herdman and his staff saw were best to bring on the youngsters 

For me Godihno is my starting Right-Back without a question! He's been excellent for Hearts and it's unfortunate that he couldn't play vs French Guiana because of the turf at BC Place. And since they didn't utilize fullbacks after the NZ Friendly in Spain, he only has 1 cap while Zachary has 3. 

Hes gone from Lyon's Academy to their reserve team that plays in the French 4th Division, nowhere near the first team of OL, as the talent and quality gap is too far in between! Look he's 20, don't mean to be harsh on the guy but he's a little overrated 

Back to my point, not only has he not been tested with Canada against these minnows, but he has 5 minutes of professional career under his belt. And that came as a sub this month while on loan at the impact

if he doesn't play from here until the gold cup I just don't see how he's in the 23 man squad 

Should Juan Cordova start to play again with Huachipato in Chile's Primera Division and rack up lots of appearances then he should be Godihno's back up

If not, well then it's a coin flip pretty much; cause your second RB would be without much form 

Anyhow to finish on a good note, the kid does have potential and ability but let's hold down the breaks here for a second. His career is just getting started and still has lots to prove 

Edited by Thomas

The good thing is he should get a chance to play some minutes for the Impact and we'll have a better idea of how he fits in, I have been mildly impressed with what I've seen so far, I agree with @Blackjack15 though, I have Godinho starting ahead of him just because he's much more experienced in a decent league at this point! It's really nice to finally be getting some options in the Right Back position, much better than playing CB's (Henry) and wingers (Petrasso) there!

Fair points but I don't think ppl are praising him the next great one by any means. The guy has barely any media attention anyways, let alone overwhelming love on this board.

To say "he's overrated" I disagree though, he's looked solid and comfortable in all his appearances, I think complimenting his performances so far is justified. Agree though, we will see how he looks vs stronger opposition, if of course given the opportunity. In my eyes, he is deserving to be called back, but that's Herdman decision.

I was pointing out he's played solid, he's 20 yrs old, and in my eyes is in a solid place to develop both long term(next 36 months) and short term(next 8 months). 

"Exciting prospect for us" were my exact words and I didn't say anywhere he is our #1 RB. 

If anything the more depth, competition, and stronger we are at RB the better for the CMNT as a whole. 

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

Good decision to not start Godinho at the back..too weak defensively..gets beaten too often and too easily with Hearts

I mostly disagree, it was maybe a good decision not to start him on the plastic pitch with him recovering from knee surgery, he has however improved greatly in the Hearts back line as he works his way back to full fitness, he would not be starting if he was as bad as you say! If he stays healthy and continues to progress I expect to see him getting a chance to start for Canada, ZBG played fairly well there though!

Actually either one is a decent option at this point.  I was able to watch one of Godinho's games and in that match he was pretty solid.  ZBG did fine in BC and hopefully he will get some half decent playing time in Montreal this year.  Maybe one will start progressing over the other and become a lock but right now they are both capable and it is a good problem to have. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the start for Montreal tonight at RB, felt he played excellent.

Putting these two clips(Defensive & Offense) from tonight. I'm old, don't know how to post the videos properly.....

Nice highlight of ZBG shutting down Arriola(played in all 4 recent USMT friendlies), even got the friendly goal kick bounce. Timed the tackle nicely immediately when he realized Arriola slightly over touched his dribble. (scroll down thread)

https://twitter.com/impactmontreal/status/1115775108323397633

Here was ZBG on a 40+ meter run down the flank. One of the best scoring chances of the game. Huge save to be honest.

https://twitter.com/impactmontreal/status/1115787121661497344

Edited by apbsmith