Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

6 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I'm just curious on your thoughts......

Aside from Aird,  maybe Petrasso, maybe Morgan.  Who would you call in the next 2-3 months for RB?

For now Petrasso is the clear cut #1 for me followed by guys like Godinho (returning from injury) and Juan Cordova. For now I would lump ZBG in with the USL guys. I would not be mad if they were called up but I do not think they have the quality yet. 

On another note Zach got subbed on in the 60th minute in a 1-0 win today. Hopefully he can fight to reclaim his place in the team.

After watching him at RB this year for Montréal, I would much rather see a young and unproven player at this position then Petrasso. He really has been poor this year unfortunately and I don’t think that is future with the CMNT is at right back.

For me Cordova would be the front runner, after that it would be for me youngsters who where groomed at that position: Godinho, Legault and Brault Guillard.

1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

After watching him at RB this year for Montréal, I would much rather see a young and unproven player at this position then Petrasso. He really has been poor this year unfortunately and I don’t think that is future with the CMNT is at right back.

For me Cordova would be the front runner, after that it would be for me youngsters who where groomed at that position: Godinho, Legault and Brault Guillard.

Agreed with this and I’ll add that others are currently behind him because they are injured (Godinho) not playing (Cordova) or at a lower level (Legault).  ZBG just deserves a call right now.. until others show they are clearly ahead.

Herdman wanted him for Toulon but was injured IIRC so LON presents an assessment opportunity, an integration opportunity and a cap tie opportunity so a call makes sense to me. I would not be surprised at all if he’s named to the squad. 

I think the order, when all are healthy is Godinho, cordova, petrasso, ZBG, Legault, Aird

Edited by soccer.shocker

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

He needs to play First Team football in a competitive league in order to Be considered at RB option for the MNT

Hes definitely the top prospect in U20 and one of the best in U23 

But he hasn’t seen much professional minutes 

Dont get ahead of yourselves 

I agree with you on all counts about his development, form, level of play, quality,  and I don't think most people are calling him the #1 by any means.

Based on what's being suggested about player selection for this camp: integration, prospects, Olympic qualifying, his 3 nationalities, I support calling him in, which is how the discussion started.

Based on those, IMO I'm fine with calling him in and giving him a cap and cap-tie to the program(not even being cynical).

The potential is there, still long ways to go but this is important to remember...

23 - 2020

27 - 2026

8 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I agree with you on all counts about his development, form, level of play, quality,  and I don't think most people are calling him the #1 by any means.

Based on what's being suggested about player selection for this camp: integration, prospects, Olympic qualifying, his 3 nationalities, I support calling him in, which is how the discussion started.

Based on those, IMO I'm fine with calling him in and giving him a cap and cap-tie to the program(not even being cynical).

The potential is there, still long ways to go but this is important to remember...

23 21 - 2020

27 - 2026

FYP

On 8/25/2018 at 3:50 PM, HochelagaFC said:

I was disappointed in how Petrasso played at the beginning of the year and even posted here about how he did not seem to know how to play the position. He certainly did not look like a trained RB when he arrived, more like a guy who had played other positions and occasionally filled in at RB when needed. I think as the season wore on he did start to look better and in his more recent outings actually played pretty well. Now Sagna's arrival will certainly cut his playing time but might also give him a good player to learn from. Or if the rumours are true maybe he will get loaned out somewhere where he will hopefully play more.  I am not sure what his best position will end up being or if he will develop enough to be a national team player in the future and hopefully better squads we will have soon. Right now he is probably a MLS depth sometimes starter level although if he is consistent with the level he played his last few starts he could be a MLS starter level. However, given our weakness at RB I still think he is our best option there unless Hutch still is playing for us. The guys you mention are all in the running for the spot too but I don't think you can pencil them in until they prove that they are better than Petrasso. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

At this point, and considering our midfield depth, I'd rather put Hutchinson at RB than Petrasso. At least Hutchinson had success in that position at PSV

If Hutch is available he is a clear number 1 choice for us at RB. And unlike previously, our midfield is now strong enough that we can afford to play him as a defender. However, it is not certain he will continue to play for us and is also injured at the moment so unlikely to get a call for the upcoming game.

10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If Hutch is available he is a clear number 1 choice for us at RB. And unlike previously, our midfield is now strong enough that we can afford to play him as a defender. However, it is not certain he will continue to play for us and is also injured at the moment so unlikely to get a call for the upcoming game.

The problem is, Hutch is our #1 option at probably four different positions.

18 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

It would be cool if he breaks into the first team this season. I'll be spending the winter semester in Lyon and would love to be able to watch and cheer for a Canadian in person.

He still has a ways to go, let's cheer for him to regain his starting spot on the reserves first :). 

However, 100% that would be something if he broke through one day.....to have a Canadian FB playing in Ligue1 France. 

I don't think reserve matches are closed door because it is an open league, so you could always watch him that way!

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The problem is, Hutch is our #1 option at probably four different positions.

That was the case a few years ago. With an aging Hutch and better options in midfield then we used to have I don't think it is the case currently. The only position where there would be a huge drop off from Hutch is RB. And to be honest even Petrasso is a better right back than we have had for quite a long time.

Edited by Grizzly

2 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Another option at RB could be Ricketts. I believe he played the position for one season in Israel. He's falling down the depth chart at forward and I wouldn't mind seeing how he compares to Petrasso.

How on earth did a striker turn into an RB and then back into a striker?!

8 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

How on earth did a striker turn into an RB and then back into a striker?!

I believe he was asked to play the position in a pre-season friendly. Apparently he impressed the coach who kept him there for the rest of the season. As I recall, he left Haifa because he did not want to continue at RB.

I can see him being an effective RB. He’s usually pretty good at tracking back and defending when he’s used as a wide attacker. The only problem is that he’s not particularly good at crossing the ball.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like what I saw from him last night.

Capable on both sides of the ball and physical enough to hold his own in duels. It's no wonder that he's a regular for Lyon's second team.

I can see him getting a first team chance sooner or later at Lyon, and I think it's his spot to lose at RB with Canada.

Edited by Obinna

He really seems to fit everything I would want in a fullback.  The problem with other guys has always been that they lack all the characteristics you want.  I.e Petrasso lacks the defensive skills, Henry lacks the ability to get forward, Ledgerwood is just kinda meh all around etc. 

ZBG is built, he’s physical, can get up and down the wing, seems to have decent instincts, defends well and is good enough on the ball.  Sort of a Stalteri type RB but faster and not quite as physical.  

I’m hopeful that he or Godinho can be that true RB we have lacked since Stalteri.  

I loved one ball he drove across goal.. he didn’t have many options and just went for it, it didn’t connect but was dangerous.. much more so than guys skying the ball into the box.  

Did anyone else see that first time strike he hit that was blocked?  It sort of popped out and I was thinking “hit it” even though we haven’t had a RB strike a ball from distance in years it seems and he absolutely connected it looked like it was going in if not for a solid block.  I was just surprised to see a RB hit a first time ball with such technique.. we’re not really used to any players doing that let alone a defender. 

Edited by Keegan

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

He really seems to fit everything I would want in a fullback.  The problem with other guys has always been that they lack all the characteristics you want.  I.e Petrasso lacks the defensive skills, Henry lacks the ability to get forward, Ledgerwood is just kinda meh all around etc. 

ZBG is built, he’s physical, can get up and down the wing, seems to have decent instincts, defends well and is good enough on the ball.  Sort of a Stalteri type RB but faster and not quite as physical.  

I’m hopeful that he or Godinho can be that true RB we have lacked since Stalteri.  

Agreed and speaking of Godinho he seems to also be a complete fullback, so it's good to have two solid options on that side.

Let’s not forget here that ZBG is playing 4th division of France 

To give you an idea of the level:

Ligue 1 - 20 Teams

Ligue 2 - 20 Teams

National 1 - 18 Teams 

National 2 - 4 Groups of 16 Teams

So our starting RB more or less in reggionaliga (Germany)?

Look, ZBG has looked good; has potential and he’s one to watch for sure! Surely he’s at Olympique Lyon by own merit not by luck, but the jump from Academy to Reserve side is not bad but From Reserve Side to the First Team is HUGE 

We still have 3 other Right Back’s: 

• Michael Petrasso - MLS

• Juan Cordova - Chilean Primera Division

• Marcus Godihno - Scottish Premiership  

Also his two senior games have been against Dominica and St Kitts and Nevis so let’s not say hes our 1 and that it’s his spot to lose etc 

Good start but let’s not get ahead of ourselves!   

Edited by Thomas