Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

And they pulled off a draw on the road, after DCU took 4 in their last game. 

ZBG and a few others staked their claim to play/start again. 

Yeah, I would love for ZBG in particular to retain his spot. Of all the Canadian players (not named Piette), he was the one who consistently showed throughout the game that he was comfortable. Challenged yes, but he dealt with those challenges well.

By the way, it has been the same for Canada. The opponents have been weak though, so I am very interested to see how he looks against Honduras and Panama and those type of concacaf teams, who are more respectable.

Anyways, it will be very interesting to see if Garde reverts back to Sanga on the weekend...

The RB spot w the CMNT is still up for grabs to whoever is fit and playing the best.  I'm wishing the best for all 3, and until shown otherwise, confident in all 3.

It's just a nice relief to know we have 3 solid options at RB moving forward. We should not even forget about Petrasso, who did fine in the last Gold Cup, and I put him #4 on our RB depth chart.

Edited by apbsmith

14 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Wait who is the 3rd option? ZBG, Godinho and who?

The 3rd option(not starter) is only born in Canada, for the thread itself I won't edit it(Gutierrez-played 70 mins in Chile Prem last weekend on one of their biggest clubs). My bad, that was unfair of me to assume/suggest. Petrasso is the current 3rd option :).

Edited by apbsmith

I think it's too early to starting talking about Layera after one performance. If he keeps getting chances and does well, for me he'll enter that conversation.

Cordova is the most realistic 3rd option, but he hasn't been involved in a while. Aird and Petrasso have been absent for even longer, or at least it feels that way.

I am particularly surprised at Aird, since he started very well in the Scottish Championship, then strangely went on loan, which was weird because he was one of the team's best attackers, at least statistically. Now he has disappeared at Queen of the South. Did he get injured? Why was he sent on loan? Anybody have answers to these questions?

Petrasso I think should return to playing as a winger with Valour. That's what I expect.

Edited by Obinna

It appears I was mistaken....

Gutierrez plays mostly on the left, for some reason I could have sworn he was a RB. Anyways that's not bad for us either, hopefully he gets minutes in Chile Prem and uses his one time switch :).

Great point about Aird ?

Agree with Petrasso about him playing higher up the pitch, still a nice depth option. 

So really is between ZBG/Godinho at RB. I'm honestly glad we have both, especially with the tight schedule + travel of gold cup. 

I have only seen Godinho play a part game vs NZ where he played well..like a real RB with some sandpaper.  ZBG has played several games with the CMNT and he has been very impressive. He just makes good decisions both on defence and times his runs perfectly when we have possession. He is stocky and  hard to move off the ball. Does not mind getting stuck in and most of all he has explosive speed..important when we face Concacaf teams.My main concern was that he had not faced stiff opposition...how would he perform against better teams?...well its only 1 game but I think that was answered yesterday. The next 3 months will probably resolve who wins out but ZBG is the real deal.  May the best man win. Regardless it's a win win situation for us.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Godhino plays more minutes at a high level. Unless Montreal starts ZBG more often, Godhino should start in my opinion 

This is what I brought up in the Canucks Abroad thread. People are looking at where Godinho plays and not looking at how he plays and how his attributes measure up to ZGB's. 

First of all, I love that Godinho is playing well with a good team at Hearts. He has undeniably done well to get his opportunities. Occasional mistakes aside, he has demonstrated some good ability on both sides of the ball in Scotland.

But, as I said in the other thread: Forget for a second that he recently playing in the 4th division of France and just analyze his attributes and compare them to Godinho's....

Clearly he has more pace than Godinho. He has the ability to burst past players with his pace. Godinho doesn't. With the ball at his feet, he is at least as good as Godinho, so there's not much to distinguish them in that respect, but the pace ZGB has gives him a higher ceiling.

What are your thoughts? Do you see it differently? Is there an argument to be made for Godinho based on how he plays, or is it just a case of where he plays and how much he plays and that's most important for you?

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I have only seen Godinho play a part game vs NZ where he played well..like a real RB with some sandpaper.  ZBG has played several games with the CMNT and he has been very impressive. He just makes good decisions both on defence and times his runs perfectly when we have possession. He is stocky and  hard to move off the ball. Does not mind getting stuck in and most of all he has explosive speed..important when we face Concacaf teams.My main concern was that he had not faced stiff opposition...how would he perform against better teams?...well its only 1 game but I think that was answered yesterday. The next 3 months will probably resolve who wins out but ZBG is the real deal.  May the best man win. Regardless it's a win win situation for us.

I see it the same way. You can tell ZGB has been trained well.

We'll learn more about both players as time goes on, but so far I love how he plays like a mature player in a young man's body. He seems to have an old head on his shoulders, if you know what I mean.

Godinho makes good decisions too, for the most part, but he is relatively limited when it comes to pace. Both players are strong though and won't be muscled off the ball very easily, that's for sure.

34 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Finally watched the highlights of the Impact\DC United game.  Saw the ZGB run down the right flank, cutting into the box and forcing the goalkeeper to make a acrobatic save.  Don't remember who the defender was but ZGB just pulled away from him like nothing.

I believe it was the Irish player who joined from Atlanta United, Chris McCann. Steve Birnbaum tried to close him down at the end, but ZBG was already in the box, where he forced a good save from Hamid.