Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, farrelld said:

That's what got me back to him/this page.

However, it might be best for his career to stay in France and play than come to MTL and sit on the bench. Also I'm not sure how strong the connection is actually at the two clubs. The Impact hired their former manager who had been at Lyon a long time and ran the academy, sounds like we are signing their goalie coach as well.  Zachary Brault-Guillard also only arrived at Lyon when Garde took over as first-team coach, so I'm not sure about the connection between the two.  

Lyon and Montréal are very similar in a lot of ways (though culturally, I think they have more in common with Marseilles, but that's another story). 

However, in January TVA Sports ran an article saying that there was not a partnership between the two clubs... for now. The article does not rule out a partnership in the future. Garde said: 

«Ce n’est pas l’idée première, mais si on considère que c’est un événement qui peut faciliter les relations entre les deux clubs et qu’ils y trouvent leur compte, ce n’est pas moi qui vais dire non

That being said, there is a fan blog in France for OL that mentions that there may be an unofficial partnership between the two clubs eventually, here, and LaPresse followed up a month after the TVA Sports article with their own analysis of the situation, here

ZBG finished with 13 appearances this season (11 starts). He started the last 5 matches. OL II finish 12th out of 16 teams in their "National 2" group. (whoever renamed CFA, which is a regional division "national" is an "imbecile")

http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/05/03/le-quebecois-zachary-brault-guillard-sengage-avec-lol

Good 9 minute interview with Nicolas A Martineau (in French). The main things I took from this when it comes to the national team.

He signed a 3 year deal with Lyon will wear #47.

He's hoping to be called-up for the Toulon tournament. He admits that he  missed a couple of camps, 1 because he was injured and the other was because Lyon didn't want him to go because they had a busy schedule.

Tabla left the program for multiple reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lyon pump out brilliant young talent and regularly sell said young talent to the best sides in the world; Umtiti, Tolisso, Lloris, Lacazette (though he was slightly older when sold), likely Fekir next. Fingers crossed that Brault-Guillard joins that extensive list of players!

Edited by saladroit

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, when did this happen (see highlighted):

Canucks Abroad @Canucks_Abroad 13h13 hours ago

Zachary Brault-Guillard, signed recently his first professional contract with @OL, has a bright future & is compared with French Bacari Sagna. The defender holds, Canadian, French & Haitian passport, is since October 2017 part of Haiti's U20 https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/il-talento-del-giorno/un-talento-al-giorno-brault-guillard-dal-canada-con-furore-1107812  #CanucksAbroad

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Wait, when did this happen (see highlighted):

Canucks Abroad @Canucks_Abroad 13h13 hours ago

Zachary Brault-Guillard, signed recently his first professional contract with @OL, has a bright future & is compared with French Bacari Sagna. The defender holds, Canadian, French & Haitian passport, is since October 2017 part of Haiti's U20 https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/il-talento-del-giorno/un-talento-al-giorno-brault-guillard-dal-canada-con-furore-1107812  #CanucksAbroad

That has to be a mistake ?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Fullback said:

He is on the bench again today for Lyon II. Does not really seem like he warrants a callup to the senior side at the moment.

Warrants or long term integration? depends on your assessment I guess. He's coming off injury/absence and they were playing one of the weaker sides in the reserve league, he will be seeing the field shortly, don't worry.

Why I would call him if healthy:

1- Will be 23 in 2020,

2- Will be 27 in 2024,

3- Should be part of next Olympic Qualifying.

4- Captain of Lyon II ..... Lyon is nicknamed "The Kids".  Lyon put a huge emphasis on developing youth in one of the top countries in the world for youth player development.

5- Our depth alone at that position, not the biggest fan of this reason, but is what it is.

The way I see it, that spot is OPEN for whoever wants to solidify themselves as the future #1, he deserves to be in the mix and I'd call him if healthy for those 5 reasons, and I am sure there are more.

I agree with apbsmith

19 year old captain of Lyon II.. can safely assume he’s not starting because he’s getting back to fitness.  Plays our weakest position and his other realistic option is Haiti.. cap tie this fall without a doubt.  His connection to Canada is weaker than others so we need to lock him down.  

Plus, he genuinely deserves a look.  His level is right in line with others competing for RB.  I hope we don’t call guys who aren’t near the first team AND don’t need cap tied.. ie Aidan Daniels or Kris Twardek. 

I dont think it is a returning to fitness issue I think he is being outplayed for his spot right now. He started the first game of the season and has been on the bench for the next two. In the article posted he said he respects the decision of the coach of putting him on the bench because there other players playing better right now. 

I just do not see how he has earned the right to a callup for the senior side. He is getting limited minutes in the fourth tier of French football. I dont doubt that he has potential to be a player for us but right now I just dont see how he has earned a callup over others 

5 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I dont think it is a returning to fitness issue I think he is being outplayed for his spot right now. He started the first game of the season and has been on the bench for the next two. In the article posted he said he respects the decision of the coach of putting him on the bench because there other players playing better right now. 

I just do not see how he has earned the right to a callup for the senior side. He is getting limited minutes in the fourth tier of French football. I dont doubt that he has potential to be a player for us but right now I just dont see how he has earned a callup over others 

Fair enough point, and I see your point. I am not saying he 100% deserves it based on current form.  Part of the call up would be integration, potential, his current situation, and our current situation at that position etc. Again, if we had way more depth at RB, I would totally be in agreement with you based on current form.

However, I STRONGLY disagree with "4th division" France.  Reserve teams simply can't play in the top 3 divisions, open to your interpretation if PSG, Nice, Marseille, Lyon, etc reserve teams wouldn't hold there own in 2nd/3rd division.