Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

Lyon has developed a handful of quality players from their academy through to their B team before they get transferred off.

I honestly don't mind him staying in Lyon's system for a few years as long as he is getting minutes and developing. French clubs in general (including Lyon) have done a great job in player development the last 5-10 years. 

Although, aside from Umtiti who Lyon developed and Barcelona paid 25M for in 2016, there top developed players have been offensive. None the less, I am still confident he is in a great spot right now and in the few interviews I've seen, his attitude seems excellent.

Very exciting prospect for us (and recent starter) at only 19 years, couldn't be more happier how the competition for our RB spot is shaping up.

Edited by apbsmith

24 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Let’s not forget here that ZBG is playing 4th division of France 

To give you an idea of the level:

Ligue 1 - 20 Teams

Ligue 2 - 20 Teams

National 1 - 18 Teams 

National 2 - 4 Groups of 16 Teams

So our starting RB more or less in reggionaliga (Germany)?

Look, ZBG has looked good; has potential and he’s one to watch for sure! Surely he’s at Olympique Lyon by own merit not by luck, but the jump from Academy to Reserve side is not bad but From Reserve Side to the First Team is HUGE 

We still have 3 other Right Back’s: 

• Michael Petrasso - MLS

• Juan Cordova - Chilean Primera Division

• Marcus Godihno - Scottish Premiership  

Also his two senior games have been against Dominica and St Kitts and Nevis so let’s not say hes our 1 and that it’s his spot to lose etc 

Good start but let’s not get ahead of ourselves!   

Let's please not forget that reserve teams CAN"T play in Ligue 2 or National 1.... for obvious reasons, which should be self-explanatory.  So the entire "4th tier" is very open to interpretation.

Not trying to be condescending in any manner, but if you are going to tell me the best reserve teams from PSG, Lille,  Lyon, Marseille, St.Etienne, Nice,  Reims, *Monaco(a mess right now)*,  would not be competitive  in "the 2nd or 3rd division"...... I am not sure what to tell you, except that our opinions of the quality of football in the French league pyramid would be quite different.

When you look at the table of "4th division" it's also important to keep in mind, that reserve teams also have very frequent roster rotation.

Cheers.

Edited by apbsmith

Well our other options aren’t at a much better spot than being captain of Lyon B.  Cordova has been dropped by Huachipato, Godinho has just come back from a major injury and Petrasso fell off last year and needs to find some football, even if that’s not at right back. 

If one of them can start playing regularly they’ll be favourite but for now I like ZBG. 

Edited by Keegan

16 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Wish Herdman would give Guillard and Adekugbe a chance at RB and LB respectively, and move Phonzie higher up the wings

I am sure we will see that in the next round of CONCACAF Nations League when the competition gets more difficult and we will be lining up in a more defensive formation.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

I can see Adekugbe, but Guillard?

I could see it. I think it will be Guillard and Godinho who will get first chances to take the RB spot. Guillard has already played in the Dominica game in the Nations League, so I think that shows that Herdman at least has that possibility in his head.

50 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I could see it. I think it will be Guillard and Godinho who will get first chances to take the RB spot. Guillard has already played in the Dominica game in the Nations League, so I think that shows that Herdman at least has that possibility in his head.

My mistake. I thought Guillard was someone other than ZBG.

That's what happens when you rely on acronyms too much.

Yes, I fully agree. Have been impressed by him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the outside, a bit disappointing this is the loan level if true but provided he gets games it might not be that bad. Compared to a lower league french division loan or League one in the UK, MLS is a better standard. 

I think we sometimes get downhearted at the Europeans coming back home to play, if it's a year for experience under a coach very familiar with Lyon's heirachy and trusted/experienced in bringing through youth it's should be great experience and he will return to Lyon better off. Either way if he came here and became a starter and stayed thats still not the worst for our program, if not quite as high a ceiling as we hoped. 

I think this is an ideal move.. MLS is a good standard and he’s probably not ready for Ligue 1 minutes on loan.  If for example it’s between this and a Ligue 2 club it’s a no brainer in my mind.  

Also the fact he’s going to be training with Sagna and Garde is manager.. this is a good opportunity to impress the Canadian fans and brass and then hopefully head back to Lyon ready for first team minutes. 

Edited by Keegan

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I think this is an ideal move.. MLS is a good standard and he’s probably not ready for Ligue 1 minutes on loan.  If for example it’s between this and a Ligue 2 club it’s a no brainer in my mind.  

Depends on how many minutes he plays.  He is at the stage where he needs to play a lot

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

On the outside, a bit disappointing this is the loan level if true but provided he gets games it might not be that bad. Compared to a lower league french division loan or League one in the UK, MLS is a better standard. 

I think we sometimes get downhearted at the Europeans coming back home to play, if it's a year for experience under a coach very familiar with Lyon's heirachy and trusted/experienced in bringing through youth it's should be great experience and he will return to Lyon better off. Either way if he came here and became a starter and stayed thats still not the worst for our program, if not quite as high a ceiling as we hoped. 

I agree, a loan move back here isn't such a bad idea if it means playing regularly.  You would hope that a player that is currently captain for one of the best French club's youth team has the quality to eventually have a successful stint in Europe.

Also from a "life/personal transition"....this transfer should be very smooth.

Transfering to your country + language of native tongue....IMO really keeps things smooth and allows you to pure focus on footy.

Sure, some people adapt fine bouncing around from country to country, language to language etc etc...but often times for certain individuals (not saying ZBG), a difficult transition can effect athletic performance. Anyways, I don't see that being an issue at all here. 

I think it's great especially if he keeps logging 1st team minutes and builds solid chemistry with Piette from a CMNT perspective. 

The Garde factor is huge. He is an absolute legend at Lyon. If he wasnt there this move isn't happening imo. 

Garde did fantastic things at Lyon and while he inherited some great work he really brought through younger players that won them two trophies that year. Literally before he was manager he was a coach then assistant then youth director. 

5 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I think it's great especially if he keeps logging 1st team minutes and builds solid chemistry with Piette from a CMNT perspective. 

This is a huge bonus, and chemistry is often overlooked but for a team like Canada it can make a lot of difference in tight matches.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

First Cornelius and now ZBG headed to MLS.  It’s a pretty big day for Canadians domestically suddenly.

I do think this is a good level for him for this season.

I also wonder how much having a Gold Cup tournament is a factor in Canadian players coming to play here at MLS level. These are starters who will get a lot of profile from their CanMNT appearances. 

2 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I also wonder how much having a Gold Cup tournament is a factor in Canadian players coming to play here at MLS level. These are starters who will get a lot of profile from their CanMNT appearances. 

I think the Gold Cup could be a factor, but more of a "I better improve my playing situation so I can earn a call up" ... The Gold Cup will be our first real test under Herdman so he will want players who are getting minutes at the highest level.  Cornelius and ZBG coming to MLS and getting minutes would put them as sure fire picks for the GC squad. 

Remember that the US , Costa Rica and Honduras have played in World Cups with a good number of MLS players and the US and Costa Rica have had decent runs in the actual World Cup tournaments a few times already so Canada having a few starters that get good minutes in the MLS is not a bad thing . I realize many on here don’t have too much love of anything MLS due too it’s treatment of Canadians as internationals on American teams , but that is slowly changing with the academy homegrown rule and for the young Canadian players coming up it will be pretty rare for a Canadian to be considered an international on American teams anymore. Even if the CPL were to never reach the level of MLS in our lifetime it along with the CPL will serve a purpose in hopefully getting the the Canadian men’s national team to one day become a major power in our CONCACAF region .

Edited by 1996