Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I thought he played well tonight. So did Cornelius 

I have noticed that Cornelius seems to step it up in the big games. Mexico in the Gold Cup. USA at home in nations league. Now this match, which was arguably the most important game he's played in for the Whitecaps.

Gutierrez does the little things well. One example late in the game clearing a header from the back post he really used nice technique to not only head the ball away but really wrenched his body to clear away from danger. This are the little things that matter and I think we lack in our defence at times. Very solid player

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He looks like a solid player and one to watch - he’s still only 23. With some more development he could really put the lockdown on that LB spot.

of course no indication yet that he’s interested in committing to the CanMNT.

I think leaving Chile to play in Vancouver is a massive indication. 

Thought he was reported to have not closed doors on either. The fact he nearly joined Valour last year as the Whitecaps this year shows he is hedging his bets. I think things are in our favour.

He was quoted a bit like Cavallini saying he feels more the other than Canadian but that's due to his upbringing and where he has spent time. 

Will be interesting to see if Chile come calling if he continues to start in MLS. Herdman needs to get those email fingers-a-ready.

I thought his positional defending was really good, working well with the CB to cover and seal off penetrating passing attempts.  The only hiccups for me were off the Zusi chance as well as the dodgy man handling of Shelton while he was on a yellow which, had this been played at SKC, might have resulted in a second booking and sending off sending.  Otherwise, I'd like to see more of what he can do.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, costarg said:

Two absolutely great back to back performances for Gutierrez!  Played incredible on both sides of the ball.  Looks like we've got some real competition for the LB/RB roles now with Gutierrez, ZBG and Laryea who can play on either side.  Yes, I still see Davies playing further up for CANMNT.

If Gutierrez is in the conversation then we can't forget Juan Cordova as well. When the two played together on Huachipato, Cordova was arguably a more important player for them and he's only grown since.

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If Gutierrez is in the conversation then we can't forget Juan Cordova as well. When the two played together on Huachipato, Cordova was arguably a more important player for them and he's only grown since.

If Gutierrez is in the conversation then we can't forget Sam Adekugbe who apparently left Vancouver because of his "his ambitions to play in Europe". Seems like that move has just put him out of sight out of mind for CMNT fans. Hopefully his salary is higher there than in MLS.

He may get call ups to CMNT but I think if he had been playing in Vancouver then the talk of him would be more like that of Richie Laryea or Zachary Brault-Guillard as for sure call-ups.

15 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

If Gutierrez is in the conversation then we can't forget Sam Adekugbe who apparently left Vancouver because of his "his ambitions to play in Europe". Seems like that move has just put him out of sight out of mind for CMNT fans. Hopefully his salary is higher there than in MLS.

He may get call ups to CMNT but I think if he had been playing in Vancouver then the talk of him would be more like that of Richie Laryea or Zachary Brault-Guillard as for sure call-ups.

Absolutely - he slipped my mind but I was actually thinking about him just a few days ago and what a consistent time he has had in Europe. Of all our fullback options Adekugbe and Cordova are definitely the most consistent starters, though ZBG is now in that conversation as well. 

I must say however, Adekugbe has not impressed me with the MNT. But to be fair that was now some time ago so he deserves a chance to win the spot.

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Absolutely - he slipped my mind but I was actually thinking about him just a few days ago and what a consistent time he has had in Europe. Of all our fullback options Adekugbe and Cordova are definitely the most consistent starters, though ZBG is now in that conversation as well. 

I must say however, Adekugbe has not impressed me with the MNT. But to be fair that was now some time ago so he deserves a chance to win the spot.

Like I said, sometimes when you play in Europe out of the top leagues your play can be out of sight, out of mind. Hopefully the Canadian coaching staff get to watch all of his games. I get the impression that people think Herdman is the "Lead Cheerleader" type coach but I think he is also the high focus and effort type of guy who will watch all of the game tape of every one of the players he may call.

Edit: That is the dream job. ME: "Sorry wife I have to watch this game. It is for work!"

Edited by Ruffian

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

so it's safe to safe that our fullback positions are good? 

RB: ZBG, Laryea, Cordova
LB: Adekugbe, Gutierrez, 

All in all, we have many options where we won't need to play Davies at LB. I pray Herdman sees the light.

You forgot Godinho. 

There are lots of potential risers too. Chung has had a great season. If he gets a move up he might be in the conversation. If Alastair Johnston continues his early form he might play his way in. Also rumoured we were calling up Aviv Solomon last March, a LB that plays in the Israeli Premier League. Bassong looked promising, hopefully he lands somewhere soon. 

36 minutes ago, Shway said:

so it's safe to safe that our fullback positions are good? 

LB: Adekugbe, Gutierrez, 

All in all, we have many options where we won't need to play Davies at LB. I pray Herdman sees the light.

If Gutierrez and Cordova commit to us, then yes our fullback positions looked pretty solid and somewhat deep.

Cordova is already committed and capped for Canada.

Outside of Davies:

LB: Adekugbe, Gutierrez, Kamal Miller

Bassong & Alistair Johnston are both players to keep an eye on as well.

Hopefully Bassong can find a decent team this fall and hopefully both Johnston & Kamal Miller can continue to get minutes as well.

Edited by Corazon