Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Does anybody think he will make it back to an MLS team?

A return to Chile? CanPL like his brother?

Would be cool to see him play with his brother but would also be a very good pickup for Forge. 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Does anybody think he will make it back to an MLS team?

A return to Chile? CanPL like his brother?

No MLS is on the horizon any time unless it is a surprise. Playing in CPL would not be a bad idea since it would give Christian a chance to shine and to show that he can play a season without serious injury. Yes, Cavalry would be a good choice given that his brother is now there.

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

No MLS is on the horizon any time unless it is a surprise. Playing in CPL would not be a bad idea since it would give Christian a chance to shine and to show that he can play a season without serious injury. Yes, Cavalry would be a good choice given that his brother is now there.

Honestly was expecting him to join his brother at the Cavs. Heading to South America is probably on the cards too but I would have thought he has to prove he can be injury free for a sustained period before anyone in MLS or a decent top level side takes a punt on him.

• 2 months later...

What happened with this guy? He showed very well for a time when he played for the Caps - above average attacking left FB, solid defensively. They try to make him a left CB in a 3-man central D for one game. Looks bad and clearly doesn't want to play at CB. Then it deteriorates from there with a series of mysterious "injuries". 

10 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

What happened with this guy? He showed very well for a time when he played for the Caps - above average attacking left FB, solid defensively. They try to make him a left CB in a 3-man central D for one game. Looks bad and clearly doesn't want to play at CB. Then it deteriorates from there with a series of mysterious "injuries". 

2 years ago he was on the edge of the National Team

22 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I think it was injuries, honestly. 

Good player, but I think his inability to stay healthy destroyed his value. He could have probably played in the CPL, but maybe he fancied a return home to Chile? 

The other thing is, I don't think C.D. Universidad de Concepción is a typical Chilean B side. They've been runner up in the top flight as recently as 2018, played in Copa Liberadores in 2018 and 2019, and Copa Sudamerica in 2016 and 2016. 

Seems like a big club that's gotten stuck in the 2nd tier (since 2021?). Maybe it's more intriguing for him to help them get back to the top flight, rather than playing in CPL and getting stuck at that level. And for the club, maybe they are happy to bring a former Colo-Colo player. Perhaps this was an opportunity he couldn't really pass up easily. 

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it was injuries, honestly. 

Good player, but I think his inability to stay healthy destroyed his value. He could have probably played in the CPL, but maybe he fancied a return home to Chile? 

The other thing is, I don't think C.D. Universidad de Concepción is a typical Chilean B side. They've been runner up in the top flight as recently as 2018, played in Copa Liberadores in 2018 and 2019, and Copa Sudamerica in 2016 and 2016. 

Seems like a big club that's gotten stuck in the 2nd tier (since 2021?). Maybe it's more intriguing for him to help them get back to the top flight, rather than playing in CPL and getting stuck at that level. And for the club, maybe they are happy to bring a former Colo-Colo player. Perhaps this was an opportunity he couldn't really pass up easily. 

100% this.

It seems very unlikely that any decent team would be willing to risk signing him given his injury concerns over the past several years.  Concepcion is historically a top division side in recent years.  The club probably has much less to lose than a top division club.