Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:21 AM, TFC2017 said:

I'm hoping this means a switch to Canada is imminent.

Doesn't sound like he is in any rush to file a one-time switch. :(

http://aftn.ca/move-to-whitecaps-and-mls-not-exactly-a-return-home-for-cristian-gutierrez-but-it-is-an-important-next-stage-in-his-footballing-growth/

The possibility of youth football is over for him with Chile. They are not going to Tokyo 2020:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONMEBOL_Pre-Olympic_Tournament

It's the senior Chile team or bust.

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

http://aftn.ca/move-to-whitecaps-and-mls-not-exactly-a-return-home-for-cristian-gutierrez-but-it-is-an-important-next-stage-in-his-footballing-growth/

The possibility of youth football is over for him with Chile. They are not going to Tokyo 2020:

Called it. I said before this guy wasn't a shoe in.

His brother Diego made the switch and only had a few youth appearances with us and that's it. It doesn't look like he'll ever break into our full national team, but perhaps it would change things if he does. Perhaps Cristian is thinking that if he makes the switch and plays U-23 but doesn't ever make a senior appearance, what's the point? Perhaps he is thinking not to rush, better wait and see where things go, because if you are not a shoe in for the Canada senior team, may as well keep your Chile option, rather than do what Cordova did and only have 2 caps up until this point (though his reason to switch was rather specific - but you get my point). Anyhow, it would make sense for him to wait, even though I don't like it. And besides, we should wait and see anyways what sort of player he is. Like @Mikmacdo says, we already have options at LB. The more players we have the better, but let's see how his season goes before we get upset over him holding out. I think this is a feeling out period for him to see how he likes playing in Canada and for us fans, we should equally reserve judgement, sit back and see how he does with Vancouver before we jump the gun. Let us see him demonstrate in MLS that he is a player we need in our program.

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I didn't realize his whole family moved to Chile when he was just 4 years old. My bad

Just read the article. Thanks to @Olympique_de_Marseille for posting it.

Seems to be a very reasonable approach. You can only guage so much from such interviews, but he doesn't seem to overestimate his ability and he comes across as genuine. Canada is a foriegn land for him, we need to accept that. The fact he sees us as an alternative and also says he needs to figure out what he wants to do is positive for us and reasonable for him. He mentions both countries are beautiful too! He obviously needs to learn the language first and get his feet under him. I am perfectly willing to give him a year or two to figure it out. I wish him the best of luck this season and I hope he can develop well and hopefully join our program at some point during this wc qualifying cycle.

Edited by Obinna

• 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Looked pretty good. Seemed to get more comfortable as the match wore on. 

I hope he gets more of a run in the team, but I don't know how he'll get ahead of Ali Adnan...

Would love to see him start along with Cornelius in the next game, given the current backline has given up 7 goals in 2 games.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

Would love to see him start along with Cornelius in the next game, given the current backline has given up 7 goals in 2 games.

Agreed. I would like to see Cornelius paired with the Serbian kid next game. If Gutierrez gets a chance too that would be awesome, but for me Khmiri has not earned his minutes thus far.

37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Looked pretty good. Seemed to get more comfortable as the match wore on. 

I hope he gets more of a run in the team, but I don't know how he'll get ahead of Ali Adnan...

Move Adnan to wing. Positionally, he looks out of place at LB. Also, why would you want one of your best players on a DP contract playing at fullback.

Edited by PopePouri

20 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Move Adnan to wing. Positionally, he looks out of place at LB. Also, why would you want one of your best players on a DP contract playing at fullback.

That could be an option I suppose. To me Adnan doesn't play like a winger, he plays like an offensively talented fullback, but that doesn't mean he cannot be effective as a winger.

Worth a try though, I guess.

I also wonder whether he can play as a deep lying playmaker. He is good on the ball, he has an eye for a pass, and he is robust. 

Edited by Obinna

I wouldn't judge anything on the basis of this match after the Sounders were up three and spending the rest of the game trying to play "olé" ball with possession after they subbed in a number of their own teenaged Homegrowns.

That said, the Caps have done relatively well with foreign experienced Canadian signings and though Guiteirez is essentially Chilean, hopefully he continues the trend after the Iraqi LB moves on to greener pastures.

4 hours ago, PopePouri said:

I'm totally with this. It would also knock Tiebert to the bench. 

On 7/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, PopePouri said:

I thought he looked good today in his sub appearance with Adnan in front (who set up the first goal).  I'd like to see how that set up would look as a starting formation.

The fact he was making the 18 somewhat regularly for South American giants Colo Colo, I'm not surprised at his performances so far, albeit just two sub appearances.

It would be great to see him get regular playing time and then of course file his switch to Canada.

Potentially 3 outside backs starting in MLS in Laryea, ZBG & Gutierrez.

Hopefully, Cordova can continue his form in Chile before the postponement and hopefully Adekugbe continues to play in Norway as well.  

We just really need a couple of these players to get to the next level.

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Adnan is suspect at best in defence. Hope Cristian gets a chance next game. Concur he looks pretty solid in both appearances.

I don't know about that.  In the first half today he was tasked with a lot of defensive duty and I thought he was effective.  Guttierez made some nice reads to cut out a pass or two but I would like to see how he does consistently against a pacy, direct winger, particularly someone who likes to drive inside as well as go out.  Accolades today might ending up being replaced by comparisons to Nerwinski's defending 1 v 1 (now, he is a better example of supsect defence, imo).

Adnan is at his best as an attacking LB where he can get a head of steam going and can attack space created by the mid or inverted winger in front of him.  It's a different skill set when you are in a more advanced midfield position and the defender is able to limit your space more.  Milinkovic was poor against Seattle and subpar as a sub again today but vs SJ and in the first games of the season (long ago) his style as an inverted left winger who likes to cut inside on his stronger right foot proved a good complement for Adnan's style (better than having a strictly left footed Teibert with his heels on the touch line in front of him).  However, to use my poker reference once, these are the cards MDS has to play to the best of their abilities.

50 minutes ago, Corazon said:

The fact he was making the 18 somewhat regularly for South American giants Colo Colo, I'm not surprised at his performances so far, albeit just two sub appearances.

It would be great to see him get regular playing time and then of course file his switch to Canada.

Potentially 3 outside backs starting in MLS in Laryea, ZBG & Gutierrez.

Hopefully, Cordova can continue his form in Chile before the postponement and hopefully Adekugbe continues to play in Norway as well.  

We just really need a couple of these players to get to the next level.

Repping each Canadian MLS club too ;)