Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

Cristian Gutierrez starting today for Chilean Giants Colo-Colo vs recently promoted side Coquimbo Unido! Both LB Ronaldo de la Fuente and Oscar Opazo down to injury, meaning this is golden chance he's been waiting for. This is his first Primera Division appearance since July of 2018

Happy for him, opportunities do rise and if he takes it, who knows maybe he can be the clubs choice from here until Copa America/Gold cup and afterwards

His Head coach Mario salas told Chilean media in Santiago that he has "Pure confidence in Gutierrez's abilities and that we all believe in him" 

severall players too have said he's looked good in training and backed him 

Crazy how situations change; you go from not making the 18 (Match day squad) for a mid table team like Huachipato, to then starting for the biggest club in chile 

maybe with a string of good appearances he gets back in the radar of La Roja and Reinaldo Rueda names him in his future nominations. Or Herdman gives him a call and convinces him to play for Canada

One to keep an eye for! Worth noting Colo Colo are in the Sudamericana 

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Cristian Gutierrez starting today for Chilean Giants Colo-Colo vs recently promoted side Coquimbo Unido! Both LB Ronaldo de la Fuente and Oscar Opazo down to injury, meaning this is golden chance he's been waiting for. This is his first Primera Division appearance since July of 2018

Happy for him, opportunities do rise and if he takes it, who knows maybe he can be the clubs choice from here until Copa America/Gold cup and afterwards

His Head coach Mario salas told Chilean media in Santiago that he has "Pure confidence in Gutierrez's abilities and that we all believe in him" 

severall players too have said he's looked good in training and backed him 

Crazy how situations change; you go from not making the 18 (Match day squad) for a mid table team like Huachipato, to then starting for the biggest club in chile 

maybe with a string of good appearances he gets back in the radar of La Roja and Reinaldo Rueda names him in his future nominations. Or Herdman gives him a call and convinces him to play for Canada

One to keep an eye for! Worth noting Colo Colo are in the Sudamericana 

Played 72 minutes in Colo Colo's 2-0 loss to Coquimbo Unido. He was subbed off for a striker with his team down 1 nil at the time. 

If he receives any sort or rotation with the Colo Colo team and if he decides to represent Canada, then he will likely be a regular in Canada National program.  Colo Colo is an excellent team and to crack the starting lineup regardless of the opponent means he's got a lot of talent.

Again, it is yet to be seen if he will ever receive consistent playing time.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With many U23 guys in our main #CanMNT squad, obviously not!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Toulon_Tournament

Also, not sure the CSA has the money....

That's a disappointment and a missed opportunity. I think that was great for us last year. Great exposure, great experience and would give us a good look at our u23s for the fall.

Obviously all eyes are on the gold cup and as you say maybe no money. Maybe also another political play. What's better; taking players to toulon or keeping them at the CPL and MLS clubs where they are getting minutes. Likewise some of those CPL clubs would be crippled on top of injuries they have already. 

We certainly could have sent a competitive squad imo but makes sense not to play havoc with CPL squads especially. 

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

Hard to imagine a 22 year old who is starting to see first team minutes with Chilean giants Colo Colo go directly to the CPL.  It would be a huge pick up for CPL if it did come to fruition.

The move was supposedly about to happen, but then he returned to Colo Colo from his previous loan and started getting playing time

57 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Imagine picking up Gutierrez & Tomori in the fall to help our backline.  🤩

And the arrival of Eustaquio too! I think this Gold Cup is mega important in trying to persuade dual nationals, to make a good impression that they can be part of something meaningful and road to Qatar2022 is doable and that Canada can compete and aspire to great things 

Pablo Aránguiz of FC Dallas made the Chile U-23 team. What I know (which is admittedly little) is that he's been underwhelming so far in MLS, though he is a young DP, so perhaps expectations are high because of that.

Either way, Pablo has featured 14 times, but has only been an occasional starter. He's also a midfielder, so not a direct comparison, but it's interesting that this player, who hasn't really impressed (some) fans, got the call and Gutierrez didn't. If Aránguiz is the caliber of player Chile is calling, I wonder, how good is Christian really? Yeah, he has been recently getting games with Colo Colo, but he really struggled for games with Cordova's club and now was passed over by Chile.....

Perhaps he is just holding out for Canada? ;)

Edited by Obinna

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pablo Aránguiz of FC Dallas made the Chile U-23 team. What I know (which is admittedly little) is that he's been underwhelming so far in MLS, though he is a young DP, so perhaps expectations are high because of that.

Either way, Pablo has featured 14 times, but has only been an occasional starter. He's also a midfielder, so not a direct comparison, but it's interesting that this player, who hasn't really impressed (some) fans, got the call and Gutierrez didn't. If Aránguiz is the caliber of player Chile is calling, I wonder, how good is Christian really? Yeah, he has been recently getting games with Colo Colo, but he really struggled for games with Cordova's club and now was passed over by Chile.....

Perhaps he is just holding out for Canada? ;)

He’s played well for colo colo , you should see the highlights. He struggled for games before because of the manager of his former team, not because he wasn’t good. He’s a solid LB! I hope he comes and plays for Canada! We need him

On 5/28/2019 at 5:56 PM, Obinna said:

If Aránguiz is the caliber of player Chile is calling, I wonder, how good is Christian really?

I've never seen Cristian play, so I can only guess. But I'm going to guess he's probably around the same level as other dual nationals we've gotten like Wotherspoon, Aird, and Akindele.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I've never seen Cristian play, so I can only guess. But I'm going to guess he's probably around the same level as other dual nationals we've gotten like Wotherspoon, Aird, and Akindele.

I get your point, but it is interesting at how these 3 players are panning out for us.

Many expected Wotherspoon to be a starter or first off the bench sort of guy, back when he was rumored to join. He currently has a single cap and seems to not make camp at least half the time. 

Aird I think we all expected more from. He started well for us and we thought he would be a future starter in attack when he was coming up at Rangers. When he moved to Vancouver on loan we thought perhaps he would be in the mix for a starting RB job for Canada. Then, he scored against Scotland and had an incredible game and subsequently fell into purgatory. I hope scoring against the other nation he was eligable for wasn't his high point as a Canadian NT player...

Akindele I think is the one who has kept up with expectations the best, though even he should have been more involved based on our predictions back in 2015. In 4 years he only has 14 caps and 2 goals, which shows he is more of a periphery player, but a contributor to the program nonetheless. 

Edited by Obinna