Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

Can anyone honestly say they've seen Davies play "defense" at Bayern. I've watched almost every game and I dont think I've seen Bayern defend in their own 3rd for longer than 30 seconds at a time. 

I see him cutting out passes and preventing people from turning around half but thats just a basic responsibility of almost every player on the pitch. I see him chasing people down or winning foot races for balls over the top but again thats kinda something different. Most of what he's doing at Bayern is playing as a winger he just so happens to have LB beside his name on the fun graphic before kickoff

Edited by SpursFlu

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Can anyone honestly say they've seen Davies play "defense" at Bayern. I've watched almost every game and I dont think I've seen Bayern defend in their own 3rd for longer than 30 seconds at a time. 

I see him cutting out passes and preventing people from turning around half but thats just a basic responsibility of almost every player on the pitch. I see him chasing people down or winning foot races for balls over the top but again thats kinda something different. Most of what he's doing at Bayern is playing as a winger he just so happens to have LB beside his name on the fun graphic before kickoffo 

I don't know if you watched the Dortmund game but he made Jadon Sancho a complete non-factor. Sancho got subbed out before the half and his replacement, who I can't remember, also couldn't do anything going one-on-one with Davies down the wing.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

our defense sucks, why play by far our best defender at the wing when we have a lot of quality attackers?

Who else do we have on the wing that is anywhere close to Davies' quality? If Ferdi switches and Millar breaks through with the Liverpool first team then we could have the luxury of using Davies as a left back. Until then we need him in a more offensive role.

If you were coaching another CONCACAF team would you prefer to face Canada with Davies playing on defence or in an attacking role?

55 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I see him cutting out passes and preventing people from turning around half but thats just a basic responsibility of almost every player on the pitch. I see him chasing people down or winning foot races for balls over the top but again thats kinda something different. Most of what he's doing at Bayern is playing as a winger he just so happens to have LB beside his name on the fun graphic before kickoff

I watched every Bayern game too and you forgot to add they have elite Thiago Goretzka kimmich all to cover for Davies when he is down the flank. As well as alaba and boateng

all elite players covering for him while Canada I am not sure I can call anyone elite in those roles except hutch 

Thats my point and making Sancho a non factor. That's because Bayern press people off the pitch and the when they're forced to go over the top Davies wins foot races and out muscles people on 50 50 balls 

Canada cannot play that way against Mexico or US or eventually hopefully against other nations that aren't the Cayman Islands. Ironically if we did want to press Davies would be most useful defending from the front. When we have to defend in a compact block im not sure he'll be that effective on the back line and i don't think he's necessarily great clearing balls in the air with his head. Im not sure I've ever seen him have to

Are we sure that Gutierrez has no future with Chile? I looked it up. They started a 36 year old domestic player at left back in the semifinal at Copa America last year. They just got Sebastian Soto, a USYNT player with Telstar in the Dutch 2nd, a spot on their qualifying roster. Would starting and doing decently in MLS be enough for a look there? 

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Chile is a team on a rapid decline. 

I am not sure if you are being deeply ironical or not. 

Last I looked Chile won their first Copa America in 2015, their second the following year, and was quarter finalilst last edition. That is a team recently at a peak I'd say.

I appreciate many of their stars are well into their 30s, like Bravo, Alexis, Arturo Vidal and Medel, and that the new crop of strikers is not so impressive. They seem to lack bright young talent or at least don't call it up. They did not qualify for the Olympics and I just checked their u-23 strikers, none of them yet playing outside of S America. So I can see they may be in for a slip, but I would not say it is a clear decline, just yet.

Cristian Gutiérrez is not at all below the current level of his equivalent age group for Chile.

15 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Is he really anywhere near good enough for their non-domestic squad? I get that they've regressed but that's pretty shocking.

I think it'd be a case of not letting a player slip away. Gutierrez is still pretty young and is showing promise. I don't think Chile are going to want a player like that defect. Even if they have no immediate plan for him they're likely whispering sweet nothings into his ear, trying to keep him close.

From their perspective there's not much to lose in trying to get him to commit, and with him playing and living in the country trying to pry him away the timing makes sense.

Furthermore, Canada has done this already with Cordova, so the possibility of losing him is real for Chile.

Edited by Obinna

One good MLS season was all he needed to be back in Chile’s radar.

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Furthermore, Canada has done this already with Cordova, so the possibility of losing him is real for Chile.

Good point - Cordova’s emergence the last two years would probably put him in Chile’s plans.

Edited by Floortom