Cristián Gutiérrez

Vince193

41 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I honestly never understood the hype about this guy, if he can't stay consistent then for me personally he is not ready for a call up

The hype would be cut in half if Chile wasn't reportedly sniffing around.

When Canada is the only realistic option for a dual national, the hype is genuine and not coming from a place of urgency/anxiety.

I would personally like to see him called to a senior camp. He's got something about him. In my eyes he's not a can't miss call-up, but for all his flaws I see his potential. I'll admit, I would like to cap him before Chile does. 

Same goes for Yankov.

IMO if they aren't good enough yet, then they don't deserve call ups. Period. Yankov is better off with the U23s for the time being, I'd like to see him in the Olympic squad, and if he proves himself there, then sure, give him a call up to the senior side. Same for Gutierrez, at the moment he is not worthy of a call over any of the current fullbacks likely to be called up, and his play against more stern MLS opposition has been so far underwhelming.

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

IMO if they aren't good enough yet, then they don't deserve call ups. Period. Yankov is better off with the U23s for the time being, I'd like to see him in the Olympic squad, and if he proves himself there, then sure, give him a call up to the senior side. Same for Gutierrez, at the moment he is not worthy of a call over any of the current fullbacks likely to be called up, and his play against more stern MLS opposition has been so far underwhelming.

Fair enough.

I am not convinced Gutierrez is not good enough for our senior side. I also get the argument he hasn't "earned" a senior call yet. I think wanting to see him and Yankov with the Olympic squad first is fair. However, I am okay if they jump straight to the senior team. There are plenty examples of players skipping that step. They could even drop back down later and help the Olympic team.

If calling them to the senior team first is required to get them on board, I have little problem with it. They are ours then. What would it really cost us? Not a whole lot. I would rather do that then lose them to Chile and Bulgaria.

And also, if you'd like to see them with our Olympic squad, are they really that far off the senior team? We have all kinds of Olympic players in our senior pool as it is.

I can appreciate you wanting to see him with the Olympic team first, but Yankov is not joining us without a senior call by the sounds of it. If the interest from Chile in Guiterrez is genuine, I doubt he makes a change for our Olympic team, so probably same deal as Yankov.

Edited by Obinna

15 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Looks like he wasn't called up by Chile for their upcoming games in October

I'm not surprised at all.  I don't think he's that close to being called by the Chile NT.  It looks like there were no MLS players called but looking at the roster, the majority are playing throughout Latin America.

7 domestic based players

3 other South American based players

8 Mexican based players

7 European based players

• 2 months later...

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I’m getting major Fraser Aird vibes from Cristian Gutierrez. Breaks into a huge club in his ancestral country at a young age and attracts attention from another national team. Doesn’t reach high expectations the next few years forcing a loan to Vancouver. Nothing too impressive in some fullback action at Vancouver and switches to represent Canada. Nonetheless, happy to have him on board.

I guess this is somewhat true; but let us remember that Aird still got 8 caps for us. He would never have received 8 caps for Scotland. Aird not only scored a great goal for us in Scotland but was part of the 2017 Gold Cup squad too.

Even if in the end Cristián Gutiérrez receives only 8 caps with Canada, it's still absolutely worth bringing him in. In similar fashion tp Aird, I don't think Cristián would get any caps with Chile.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, LeoH037 said:

I honestly never understood the hype about this guy, if he can't stay consistent then for me personally he is not ready for a call up

I mean last Camp Poutine we brought in Ashtone Morgan. Is Cristián a better option than Ashtone? Right now, I'd say so.

What is our LB depth at the moment? If we want Kamal Miller at CB, Davies at LW, Kaye in central midfield, then who is "above" Cristián at LB besides Sam Adekugbe?

If it is true that Cristián has his paperwork going through to switch to us, he may be eligible in time to play in Olympic Qualifiers.

These matches may yet still take place in Guadalajara which isn't Mexico City but still has an altitude comparable to Denver.

Look at who we have:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-provisional-list-for-concacaf-mens-olympic-qualifying/

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/76972-olympic-qualifying-u24-tournament-new-date-new-venue/page/11/

Do we want a CanPL guy at LB or perhaps Zorhan Bassong? Or do you want a guy who has played more pro games at a high level? Do you want the guy who knows what it's like to go to a place like Ecuador and play multiple games within a short interval at over 2500 metres?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

‘Caps fan here. I watched pretty much every minute Cristian played this past season, he’s going to be a great addition to our LB depth. I know a lot of Caps fans that’s would rather see Ali Adnan (formerly of Atalanta and Udinese, considered one of the best LB in the MLS) sold and Cristian become the starting LB. He’s strong on the ball, a good passer and has a really great left foot. Defensively he is also very strong, he did have his hiccups (bad Whitecaps team does not help a developing young defender) but any of those wrinkles in his defensive game can get ironed out with experience and coaching. Excited to see him finally rep the red and white!!! 

4 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

‘Caps fan here. I watched pretty much every minute Cristian played this past season, he’s going to be a great addition to our LB depth. I know a lot of Caps fans that’s would rather see Ali Adnan (formerly of Atalanta and Udinese, considered one of the best LB in the MLS) sold and Cristian become the starting LB. He’s strong on the ball, a good passer and has a really great left foot. Defensively he is also very strong, he did have his hiccups (bad Whitecaps team does not help a developing young defender) but any of those wrinkles in his defensive game can get ironed out with experience and coaching. Excited to see him finally rep the red and white!!! 

Kid has to play, the DP spot is better used elsewhere.

I liked his defensive positional play where he would intercept passes played between him and the CB.  I also was really impressed with his poise and play in possession deep in his own end when facing the press, working a left footed triad with Cornelius and Teibert to move the ball forward:  he was the key guy there.  I'm not as sure about his 1 v 1 defending, particularly against aerial challenges but also vs direct dribblers. I am happy to see him get a good look on this camp.

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but what's your reasoning for this bizarre take?

Iraq fa was busted a few years ago for lying about players ages. Adnan was on the list of players. Bizarre yet true. Couldn't find a list of the players but when the story broke there were 50+ players listed 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/iraq-football-hit-age-fraud-scandals-213532098--sow.html

Edited by SpursFlu

On 12/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, N1ckbr0wn said:

I watch as much Whitecaps as I can handle and I think he looked solid as well. I can only think about one game against LAFC where he kept getting isolated 1v1 against Blessing and he kept getting beat. The stat someone pointed out on the Sam Adekugbe thread about him getting dribbled by once this season is pretty impressive. 

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I liked his defensive positional play where he would intercept passes played between him and the CB.  I also was really impressed with his poise and play in possession deep in his own end when facing the press, working a left footed triad with Cornelius and Teibert to move the ball forward:  he was the key guy there.  I'm not as sure about his 1 v 1 defending, particularly against aerial challenges but also vs direct dribblers. I am happy to see him get a good look on this camp.

The one game I watched him closely he got scorched like 5 times and totally exposed 1 v 1 in that crazy drubbing the caps took from LAFC. 

(Missed post from Craig above same same)

Edited by grigorio

On 9/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, Obinna said:

The hype would be cut in half if Chile wasn't reportedly sniffing around.

When Canada is the only realistic option for a dual national, the hype is genuine and not coming from a place of urgency/anxiety.

I would personally like to see him called to a senior camp. He's got something about him. In my eyes he's not a can't miss call-up, but for all his flaws I see his potential. I'll admit, I would like to cap him before Chile does. 

Same goes for Yankov.

Chile and Canada both interested in him. I have to admit that is something but if Canada seems genuinely interested, then they may as well swing for the fences now. By that I mean cap him now and you just further add to the Canada depth chart not just for Qatar 2022 but for Canada-USA-Mexico 2026.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Looks like his one-time switch has been approved:

"...we've got his change of association over the line..."  is the exact quote from Herdman:

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1349944147596115968

Cristián had made the decision "...at the end of last year..."

On 12/2/2015 at 7:45 PM, Vince193 said:

While it is a huge long shot to see him play for us...

So there you go! You never know! :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 months later...