Milan Borjan

Vince193

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

On a couple saves Borjan was way off his line before the ball was kicked, like vs. that player who tried a stutter step on him. The ref was standing way to close to the kickers, I hate that, move the **** away you goof.

These were a couple things that stuck out to me too. I had flashbacks to the women's world cup and thought that with that level of scrutiny, Borjan would have been sent off before the shootout was done (assuming he didn't get the message and would be able to change his trained behviour after getting a yellow).

There was one or two kicks in particular where the ref was standing very close. To the point where he would be right in the line of sight (if not blocking the view) of the right side of the net from where the shooter stands before taking their run up.

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Agreed very controversial shoutout, none the less MASSIVE PROPS to Borjan. 

Red Star gonna build that man a statue one day haha, especially if Red Star one day make it out of group stage of CL.

I don't even think it has to go as far as making it out of the group stage but just winning big games. I don't think their fans will forget that Liverpool game or just being back in champions league really 

As I said on the abroad thread, I got to watch a lot of the game (from half-time). Crazy for a lot of it -  the pitch generally did not help -  and compared to other occasions or leagues, the ref was actually lenient.  Fitting it ended in more drama. 

Borjan really helped keep them in it after going down to ten men, great spirit between him and his defenders - chest bumps after saves and clearances.  Corner after corner at one point. Classic bend but not break. 

Great almost old school football.  As I also said this game grabbed me like no other neutral game for a while. 

Having said all that and having really enjoyed it, not sure Red Star overall is looking as good as they did last year (in the Champions League at least) but someone who sees them more could correct or explain. 

7 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Don't look now, but Red Star are up 3-2 on aggregate right now at 75'. Jang Boys will need two goals to advance since Red Star have two away goals.

O shit own goal by RSB. Young Boys need 1 more. 84'.

Edited by Lansdude

12 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Red Star put a T55 tank outside their stadium  -  "The Northern Army"

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-49485400

It's a crying shame that Borjan, by his mere presence at Red Star (I am not saying he is in any way responsible), is tied in in any way to this horrible BS. UEFA needs to step in and say enough. Any illusion to the Vukovar massacre should be snuffed out early. Football should be a way to calm and unite Europe, not inflame the current tinderbox that is redeveloping there.  SAD

great article in the Globe on Borjan. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to read it..."inked on the back of his calf, a Maple Leaf amidst a snippet of lyrics from "O Canada" is proudly displayed". JH indicated that Red Star wanted him to stay back as Milan already has had a hectic schedule with CL qualifiers, but he wanted to be with the CMNT.  Apparently when he goes out with friends or family in Belgrade, fans do not allow him to pay his bill and insist on picking up the tab!