Milan Borjan

Vince193

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Seems strange that Borjan gets crucified for allowing 6 goals against Bayern Munich in a Champions League game but Crepeau is being recommended as our starter after getting rocked all season this year with the Whitecaps.

I don’t think literally a soul here has said Crepeau should be our starter. Now a lot of people are saying he should get a chance at a start or 2, but to be our bonafide starter? Not sure if anyone has said that 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I don’t think literally a soul here has said Crepeau should be our starter. Now a lot of people are saying he should get a chance at a start or 2, but to be our bonafide starter? Not sure if anyone has said that 

Maybe go back scour some recent game thread forms.  Seems like there are a few people suggesting they would prefer Crepeau.  And I don't even have a problem with that recommendation because I am a big fan of his.  I was simply stating what some people credit one goalie for, many also seem to discredit the other goalie for in similar circumstances.

But honestly, I think you missed the point of the post altogether.

Edited by Corazon

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Those kind of scores from Serbian league dont prove anything..red star is just too strong year after year..11 points ahead of second place after 27 games and 14 goals against all season..lol

Actually, they are less dominant in Serbia than Bayern in Germany, and no one seems to downplay Davies because of that.

Bayern is on track for their eighth straight title, while Red Star have won 5 of the last 8. In fact, Partizan has more leagues in this century than Red Star. And Bayern has a bigger goal difference in their favour as we sit than Borjan's team. 

As for your comment about scorelines, it is only the second time all year they have won by more than 3 goals. 

Try to be minimally impartial when slagging our national team players, lol.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Lol no slagging going on..just simply no link between being #1 for canada and winning 5-0 in a league where they are just too strong..and you are going the wrong direction bringing up bayern as stats show red star is more dominant in their league than bayern in theirs..much higher points per game and 11 points ahead of 2nd after only 27 matches while bayern is 7 ahead after 29..1 loss up to now for red star and 4 for bayern

Yes Red Star are the king of the hill, but this is a good thing for Borjan as far as I am concerned. We can use more players like Borjan and Davies, playing with league giants and nurturing a winning mentality. No worries about Serbia being too easy, because Borjan also gets regular European football to test himself. It's really a good spot for him.

I'll always feel confident with Borjan in net, but I think Crepeau's time as Canada's #1 is approaching sooner than later.  

When WCQ starts next spring, Borjan will be in mid season shape.  He should start those games.

The torch should be passed in next summer's Gold Cup.  If Max does well, I'd stick with him for the rest of WCQ.  

At this point is there anyone else waiting in the wings?? Crepeau has had back to back good seasons first in USL and then at MLS.  Who else is actually playing at a decent level?? Leutwiler has barely played in the last 3 years, Pantemis and Carducci both need to have outstanding mini seasons in CPL before they would leapfrog anyone.  Someone else needs to step up soon because the zombie cant play forever and it would be nice to have a couple of choices for a replacement.  

58 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I'll always feel confident with Borjan in net, but I think Crepeau's time as Canada's #1 is approaching sooner than later.  

When WCQ starts next spring, Borjan will be in mid season shape.  He should start those games.

The torch should be passed in next summer's Gold Cup.  If Max does well, I'd stick with him for the rest of WCQ.  

Crepeau will probably be #1 by the time Gold Cup 2021 starts if not after that

On 6/3/2020 at 7:44 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah well makes sense Borjan will be 35 in 2022

Many top goalkeepers in and around that age. I personally don't see any reason Milan wouldn't still be starting at his current level, and if so I'm not so sure that torch needs to be past. Crepeau had a decent individual season on one of the worst teams in MLS. I'm not so sure he catches Borjan in the next two years.

But yes, a third option would be nice.

Edited by A_Gagne

4 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Many top goalkeepers in and around that age. I personally don't see any reason Milan wouldn't still be starting at his current level, and if so I'm not so sure that torch needs to be past. Crepeau had a decent individual season on one of the worst teams in MLS. I'm not so sure he catches Borjan in the next two years.

But yes, a third option would be nice.

Well yeah he can still start but then again if Crepeau steps his game up immensely somehow, he could surpass Milan and take over as #1. But you're right Milan could stay #1. Personally, I love the competition.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He is off to Europa League Playoff round now. 

I know Borjan is proud to be at Red Star (he is their Captain etc etc) but I wish he would take his game to a bigger/better league for his final few years. He'd be great in Serie A or similar. He'd benefit from the payday and I think he could take his game up a level which would benefit us. I fear he will become complacent at Red Star especially now they are out of the Champions League. 

16 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I know Borjan is proud to be at Red Star (he is their Captain etc etc) but I wish he would take his game to a bigger/better league for his final few years. He'd be great in Serie A or similar. He'd benefit from the payday and I think he could take his game up a level which would benefit us. I fear he will become complacent at Red Star especially now they are out of the Champions League. 

I was hoping Arsenal would look for a goalie like him as their backup. He's definitely better than the keeper they ended up choosing and would have cost them a similar amount 

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

Europa League still provides good competition, should they qualify. I don't think he'd get to rest on his laurels for that competition.

Domestically may be another story, although they will want to take the Serbian Cup back from Partizan Belgrade. Whether that is enough to keep Borjan on his toes is a matter of opinion.

The only person who truly knows whether Borjan is getting complacent is Borjan.

What I don't want for him is to go to a bigger club and ride the bench. He's already spent a significant part of his career as a back up. Don't forget that while he was finding his feet in European competition with Ludogorets, he was second-fiddle for the league games. He didn't actually play a ton of football. Go look at his career stats and you'll see he still hasn't reached 300 games yet. For that reason alone I would like to see him remain at Red Star where he can continue to play week-in and week-out. 

Edit: He is now at 308 club games, but my point stands. That is not a lot of games for a 32 year old keeper of his quality.

Edited by Obinna