Milan Borjan

Vince193

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I prefer to put my humanity above any sporting rivalry. 

And I know that you're not a stupid man, but suggesting that Milan might be struggling with his son's paternity because you don't like the pictures he shares on Twitter is pretty asinine.

You are probably right, I just think that anything that happens in the midst of a bitter football rivalry is just that. I mean, look at the 21st century in Serbia, Partizan actually has more league trophies, they are a real rival. And that is 90% of the story.

And then, did you read Borjan's text? He cited the UN charter of rights for children or something ridiculous, and suggested Serbia would not get into the EU if people behaved like this other guy.  He is totally deluded and embarrassingly big on himself--yes Borjan, Canada fans have your back, we too think someone photoshopping your son's head is up there with forcing children into hard labour at age six, separating them from their parents at a border control or selling them into sexual slavery, your kid is the very person the UN was thinking about.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are probably right, I just think that anything that happens in the midst of a bitter football rivalry is just that. 

I mean, did you read Borjan's text? He cited the UN charter of rights for children or something ridiculous, and suggested Serbia would not get into the EU if people behaved like this other guy.  He is totally deluded and embarrassingly big on himself--yes Borjan, Canada fans have your back, we too think someone photoshopping your son's head is up there with forcing children into hard labour at age six, separating them from their parents at a border control or selling them into sexual slavery, your kid is the very person the UN was thinking about.

I haven't read much of the various back and forths, since I don't understand Serbo-Croat, and can't be bothered copying into Google translate. It may well be that Borjan has gone over the top in his response to a crass taunt from some Partizan dickhead. He wouldn't be the first parent to lose their shit, and sense of perspective, over a feeling that their child has been attacked. None of that changes the fact that publically challenging the son's paternity, without basis, because you don't like the football club for which the father plays is at best an idiotic thing to do, and at worst, a mild case of child abuse.

Let’s hope one of our young keepers in MLS or Italy makes great strides in this coming year.  Borjan is trending down.  The reaction to the Godinho mishap vs. Haiti put me on alert.  Since then he’s had some real bad performances in European competition (Red Star was -17 in the CL group stage last year, lost to a Cypriot team in qualifying this year) and now this circus story.

As long as he keeps starting for Red Star he'll likely be Canada's #1... besides Keepers can maintain a high level until well into their late 30's since its a less physically taxing position to play, so he'll still be the main keeper for the 2022 cycle (unless we see any of the #2 choices now drastically improve in quality in a short time)

Edited by LeoH037

Borjan is a big figure with his club and his wife has crossed the Eternal Derby divide (she worked for Partizan as a marketing director).  They are also very active on social media.  Their responses have been over the top and they generally share more than I ever would.

All that said, even in the darkest ICF days of the 70s and 80s with my club, they did not go after people's kids even in songs and chants (which I would say is the period equivalent).  

As much as we want to big up sport rivalries, there are lines you don't cross.  (Increasing so, with things like racism and homophobia etc.)

One was crossed here.  Probably worth remembering before we talk about his role. 

(What would be really nice? Talking about Borjan's performances in recent Canada games.  But we are left with this.)

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I haven't read much of the various back and forths, since I don't understand Serbo-Croat, and can't be bothered copying into Google translate. It may well be that Borjan has gone over the top in his response to a crass taunt from some Partizan dickhead. He wouldn't be the first parent to lose their ****, and sense of perspective, over a feeling that their child has been attacked. None of that changes the fact that publically challenging the son's paternity, without basis, because you don't like the football club for which the father plays is at best an idiotic thing to do, and at worst, a mild case of child abuse.

True, it is trash. The club is called Partizan, so what else what might we expect of them? 

Warming up for the Clásico in 2 hours time, although of course the best argument in any derby is win win win.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In this case I wouldn't have to walk up to anyone. That other one is putting his three year old all over social media, dressed alike, same dumb pose, right there in my face. Do that to me, and you risk me wondering if you are overcompensating for some reason. In fact, any dunce sticking a toddler on social media deserves just that, to have that child's head replaced by a full grown man's to the shame of us all. 

It's a sporting rivalry, you win the woke contest. And you are not even blushing!

Holy shit what a take

14 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

(Red Star was -17 in the CL group stage last year, 

To be fair, the team in front of him was not very strong. 

He also led the CL group stage with saves and stone cold robbed Sadio Mane on a PK. 

Life has been a bit of a blur the last 18 months so I do apologize is that was 2018 not 2019.

In my eyes, he's still #1 , but healthy competition is never a bad thing. 

Edited by apbsmith

Won 5-1 tonight in the Europa League.  Could have been more. A game they probably had to win if they are serious about advancing, even this earlier.  

Sitting 2nd in the group on goal difference.  First of 2 games with Gent who sit bottom,  next week. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Won 5-1 tonight in the Europa League.  Could have been more. A game they probably had to win if they are serious about advancing, even this earlier.  

Sitting 2nd in the group on goal difference.  First of 2 games with Gent who sit bottom,  next week. 

Liberec has played 2 matches in the last 3 weeks. The league has been suspended since Oct 9 because of the Covid situation in the Czech Republic.  Yes, they beat Gent last week but the lack of matches really showed last night.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, Markoaleks said:

Zvezda continue the good Europa League form- 3 W and 1 Draw in 4 games

today with a 2-0 win in Belgium vs Gent

Borjan with another clean sheet- 

They will be hard pressed not to qualify at this point. Have games against Hoffenheim and Liberec but have a six point lead and a 5-1 win against Liberec. The first tie-break is head-to-head points and the second is head-to-head goal difference. So 2 losses and in the Liberec game, they would need to lose by at least 4 points (with more goals conceded). 

8 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Had a good game today against Hoffenheim. Whoscored gave him a rating of 7.9 and he made some good saves in the half I watched. 

Just scrolled through all the shots on him.  Added 2/3 more in whatever half you didn't see. 

By my reckoning, they qualify in 2nd.  Best case scenario they still lose the tie break with Hoffenheim for first and cannot be caught. 

Playing in the new year. 

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

He's a victim of his own success? 

That is a huge part of it, I think.  David did not hit the ground running this season and people want to see that change.  Borjan has, admittedly, an easier row to hoe in his league but just keeps doing a good job there and in Europe.  

From the bits I have seen this year, the team ahead of him looks a little better or at least more ready for Europe.  

Unseeded in the round of 32 but there, nonetheless.