Milan Borjan

Vince193

The interest I recall a few years back was from Napoli. He would have been a back up.

Yes I would be in favour of a move to a better league/club, but only if the deal was for him to be the starter. I think we would all be in favour of that.

The problem with him going to Serie A (for example) is that such a deal would probably be with a weaker team and that would come with the risk of relegation. Such a move would be a gamble at his age. 

Edited by Obinna

There are teams in the Premier League where he could feasibly fight for the shirt. I'm not sure that he'd be signed as an undisputed #1, though. I'm sure that would be the case in Serie A or La Liga, as well, but I don't know as much about the teams in those leagues beyond the ones in European competition.

I feel like Borjan is in the right place at Red Star. They have some of the most intense supporters around, he plays against some of the best in the world in the Champions League and he is a starter. At his age he probably wont improve anymore. Like most of of you said any move to a bigger league would result in a poorer team or a backup role. I'd argue that his time at Red Star is much more valuable. The guy is on the big stage, we just arent really exposed to it very well. I think there is more pressure for him in Belgrade then anywhere else in the world he could be. Being a Red Star fan, with roots there, player of the year...its awesome. He can probably handle a hostile environment better then most of our players. I want him to retire on top there.

• 1 month later...

So Borjan's wife used to work for arch rivals Partisan. And in the past she's been linked with one of Partisan's former coaches (the current Serbia coach).

The president of Partisan Belgrade was taunting Borjan online. He took a photo that Borjan had previously posted with his kid and reposted it under his own account - but replacing the kid's head with a photo of the head of the "linked" former coach.

According to Borjan the Canadian embrassy has become involved.

Edited by The Real Marc

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

So Borjan's wife used to work for arch rivals Partisan. And in the past she's been linked with one of Partisan's former coaches (the current Serbia coach).

The president of Partisan Belgrade was taunting Borjan online. He took a photo that Borjan had previously posted with his kid and reposted it under his own account - but replacing the kid's head with a photo of the head of the "linked" former coach.

Wow

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

That's effed up even by Voyageurs standards.

5 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

The Partizan individual (vice-president) is a law professor as well.   

https://www.kurir.rs/sport/fudbal/3551893/milan-borjan-crvena-zvezda-vladimir-vuletic-partizan-fudbal

Includes Borjan's first (I believe) response on instagram. 

This all came after the latest Eternal Derby which occurred on Sunday.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

(I think I'm giving away my age a little bit here but)...I laughed when I read that.

What?  It's funny.  NOT the place of a club official to be doing, he's making his own trouble, but a little funny to those of us with a more juvenile sense of humour. 

I plugged Borjan's response into a translator. I think that he's overstating a bit, as if his son had been abused directly. The guy took his son's pic out of the original and stuck a head in there to goad a Red Star player, over a rumoured incident of wrong-doing.  It was fairly infantile, Borjan's response is very well written and even explained. But I don't think that Serbia is going to have a future entry into the EU blocked because of some dumbazz meme, or that it really warrants citing the UN convention on the rights of children. I think there are other kids out there who might really need that convention to be activated a bit more than Borjan's.

And then, he does not protect his kid's intimacy at 3 years old, spreads his face on social media, then complains when someone plays in very silly fashion with the subject matter.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I plugged Borjan's response into a translator. I think that he's overstating a bit, as if his son had been abused directly. The guy took his son's pic out of the original and stuck a head in there to goad a Red Star player, over a rumoured incident of wrong-doing.  It was fairly infantile, Borjan's response is very well written and even explained. But I don't think that Serbia is going to have a future entry into the EU blocked because of some dumbazz meme, or that it really warrants citing the UN convention on the rights of children. I think there are other kids out there who might really need that convention to be activated a bit more than Borjan's.

And then, he does not protect his kid's intimacy at 3 years old, spreads his face on social media, then complains when someone plays in very silly fashion with the subject matter.

It's not a player.  It's Borjan's wife.  The implication is that she is sleeping with the coach of the national team and getting favours etc. 

I will agree it seems a little intense a response (in translation) but it has apparently been a thing building for years. 

Edit:

It is confusing because they only use her first name - Snežana - in the summary at the end. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It's not a player.  It's Borjan's wife.  The implication is that she is sleeping with the coach of the national team and getting favours etc. 

I will agree it seems a little intense a response (in translation) but it has apparently been a thing building for years. 

Edit:

It is confusing because they only use her first name - Snežana - in the summary at the end. 

I read that it was not about sleeping with the person in question, it was a metaphor for them being in shady business dealings together. So "sleeping" in the same bed means that. But maybe I am wrong.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I read that it was not about sleeping with the person in question, it was a metaphor for them being in shady business dealings together. So "sleeping" in the same bed means that. But maybe I am wrong.

Maybe.  The implication of putting the coach's head on the kid seems fairly clear - who the father is.  But again that is through language and cultural barriers. 

Either way, way out of line for a law professor and club vice president.

Edit:

I saw this earlier and just found it again.  She - Snežana - also has a very intense response. 

https://www.alo.rs/sport/fudbal/posle-napada-na-njihovog-sina-najavljuje-zestoku-borbu-vuletic-je-zlo-izbaciti-ga-iz-fudbala/350382/vest

(You can tell from the comments on these stories that these papers tend to cater to one side or the Partizan/Red Star divide or the other.)

On 10/23/2020 at 3:49 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Would you walk up to a 3-year old and hint to the kid that their dad isn't really their father? No? Why do you think it's an appropriate thing to do online, then? 🙄

45 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Would you walk up to a 3-year old and hint to the kid that their dad isn't really their father? No? Why do you think it's an appropriate thing to do online, then? 🙄

In this case I wouldn't have to walk up to anyone. That other one is putting his three year old all over social media, dressed alike, same dumb pose, right there in my face. Do that to me, and you risk me wondering if you are overcompensating for some reason. In fact, any dunce sticking a toddler on social media deserves just that, to have that child's head replaced by a full grown man's to the shame of us all. 

It's a sporting rivalry, you win the woke contest. And you are not even blushing!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I feel for Borjan, that should never happen. 

At the same time, this is literally why I do not post pictures of my kids on the internet. 

I recall specifically signing documents not allowing my son to appear in any pictures produced by his elementary school for promotional purposes, or by visiting press (his school was one of the few that integrated hearing impaired kids so was in the news more than most). 

Kids are not trophies.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In this case I wouldn't have to walk up to anyone. That other one is putting his three year old all over social media, dressed alike, same dumb pose, right there in my face. Do that to me, and you risk me wondering if you are overcompensating for some reason. In fact, any dunce sticking a toddler on social media deserves just that, to have that child's head replaced by a full grown man's to the shame of us all. 

It's a sporting rivalry, you win the woke contest. And you are not even blushing!

I prefer to put my humanity above any sporting rivalry. 

And I know that you're not a stupid man, but suggesting that Milan might be struggling with his son's paternity because you don't like the pictures he shares on Twitter is pretty asinine.