Ayo Akinola

masster

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think it is a lot more muscle too. Either way fat or muscle could be an issue for injuries. He should look to Altidore for a good example.

Possibly. Typically persistent injury problems are lot more complicated.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With the way Akinola is looking these days maybe he can be the next Ali Gerba 😉 

Being sidelined for a few months will do that to lots of athletes.  They're used to burning lots of calories daily, between training, practice and matches.  The body doesn't usually adapt to a full stop that quickly.  If they're not burning it off it will add up quickly.  Burning it off once there will also take some time.

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Haha I literally don’t have a good answer....maybe that he is taking the whole potential switch as a joke and not something serious?  Honestly I’m not going to bat for my opinion on this one.

Hahaha I feel you, for me the post made me optimistic. The fact that he posted himself in a Canada jersey at all is a positive, a little bit of me thought he was going to hide it completely which would’ve ticked a point into the US column 

I say all the Vs head over to this post and show some Canadian love!!

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

17 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Of course I’m assuming, but for some reason I put this kind of post as a point in the US column.

I took it the opposite - he is just acknowledging the controversy of pulling on the maple leaf after repping the Stars and Stripes.  On the plus side, all of the comments are pro-Canada, including a couple from JMR and Corbeanu.  I assume he would also notice the complete lack of US fans commenting.  It’s almost as if we care a lot more about where he plays.   

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Akinola is being a bit delusional. The truth is the US doesn’t really care about him and if he declares for the US tomorrow he still wouldn’t be called into a camp any time soon. 

He should have a conversation with Teal Bunbury and ask him how is the US national team working out since he decided to play for them.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The US has basically resigned themselves to him joining Canada.  They’re also ok with that since they have lots of great depth.

For Canada he’s still a real prospect.  He may not be out best prospect but he could get called up and produce for us.

After watching them start Sargent a few days back, I am not so sure.

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The US has basically resigned themselves to him joining Canada.  They’re also ok with that since they have lots of great depth.

For Canada he’s still a real prospect.  He may not be out best prospect but he could get called up and produce for us.

Yeah he still is a great prospect for us because like you all said he just adds to Canada's depth and honestly we need all the depth we can get right now especially when it comes to not only trying to qualify for Qatar but ultimately down the road for 2026 especially since we are co hosting with Mexico and USA.

18 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Of course I’m assuming, but for some reason I put this kind of post as a point in the US column.

I took it the same way as you did.

My gut reaction was that he was fishing for attention from the Americans. Why else would you post that?

Hopefully others are right and the attention-seeking is more about rubbing it in that he's with us now, and less about trying to remind the Americans he exists, or something.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I took it the same way as you did.

My gut reaction was that he was fishing for attention from the Americans. Why else would you post that?

Hopefully others are right and the attention-seeking is more about rubbing it in that he's with us now, and less about trying to remind the Americans he exists, or something.

Gonna join Canada guys... in 3... 2... I'll do it unless anyone objects... 1.... last chance..... 0..... just checking there is no going back guys?... I'll do it... I'm serious... anyone? 

*Delete instagram posts*

Let's never talk of this again.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Expect him to get called up to the Gold Cup, specially with Larin/David unlikely to be there. Now's the time, we can offer him what the USA can for the next qualifying cycle, and actually give him playing time, so if he doesn't hop on now then let that ship sail.

Just about to say Ayo will most likely get called up to our Gold Cup squad because we are going to need depth as far as goal/attacking threats since Davies, Larin and David probably won't be there

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The USA will also be sending a B team to the gold cup. Would assume Theo Euro strikers wouldn’t get called so that would like Dike as the probable #1 , but with room to call Akinola if they want to cap tie him.

So the moment of truth is coming quickly.  I suppose he could decline both, but at some point he will just need to make a choice.  Snubbing both GC callups could even make the decision for him - I could see the US moving on if he opts out after training with us recently.  The flip side is that the paperwork for the one time switch would take a little while so he would need to take steps in advance of the GC if he were choosing us.  Anyone have any idea about the lead time for that process?

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The flip side is that the paperwork for the one time switch would take a little while so he would need to take steps in advance of the GC if he were choosing us.  Anyone have any idea about the lead time for that process?

Not sure exactly, but I would guess it's measured in weeks and not days. I have this gut feeling the paperwork is already in motion, probably from the moment we advanced to the Ocho, if not sooner. Remember his cryptic post on social media from a week ago in a Canada top? It would not surprise me if that's when the process started.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

The USA will also be sending a B team to the gold cup. Would assume Theo Euro strikers wouldn’t get called so that would like Dike as the probable #1 , but with room to call Akinola if they want to cap tie him.

There is still Jesus Ferreira from FC Dallas and Gysai Zardes is not going anywhere. They may bring in a player like Matthew Hoppe as well, even though he's in Europe. He was part of the Switzerland camp but didn't play in Nations League and remains uncapped. They might view this as the time to get him involved.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

There is still Jesus Ferreira from FC Dallas and Gysai Zardes is not going anywhere. They may bring in a player like Matthew Hoppe as well, even though he's in Europe. He was part of the Switzerland camp but didn't play in Nations League and remains uncapped. They might view this as the time to get him involved.

Add Mueller, Soto, and Gioachinni ...hey don’t be surprised if you see Jozy listed as well. 

But I agree, at this point I’ll be surprised if he commits to the USA. As he’s a Torontonian/Canadian at heart.