Ayo Akinola

masster

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

He was poor imo. A few really bad touches and just looked slow and non-threatening in general

He made Altidores performances this season look immense. 

He did have a couple of nice touches but generally the movement wasnt there and his all round play was laboured. Almost scared to get involved. It was like Theo Bair got into his head and body. 

• 3 weeks later...

This stunned me, I did not think he would come into a camp in these conditions, not as a member of the main squad. Just to train. But with clear options to be included in case of injury, positional necessity. 

It is extremely rare for a player to "play the field" as some are saying. It is virtually unheard of. You are with one programme, then you go to another if you believe in it and can. But not both, which in any case would put huge pressure on his club commitments. 

https://www.collingwoodtoday.ca/amp/national-sports/as-promised-canada-coach-john-herdman-calls-in-reinforcements-for-florida-camp-3827061?__twitter_impression=true

Canada Soccer does not plan to use Akinola and Singh, who have previously represented the U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago, respectively.

doesn’t look like Akinola has filed his one time switch yet.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This stunned me, I did not think he would come into a camp in these conditions, not as a member of the main squad. Just to train. But with clear options to be included in case of injury, positional necessity. 

It is extremely rare for a player to "play the field" as some are saying. It is virtually unheard of. You are with one programme, then you go to another if you believe in it and can. But not both, which in any case would put huge pressure on his club commitments. 

Efrain Alvarez, Tesho Akindele  to name a few players in our region.

You're right it's not normal to be split in decisions, I'm sure there's others....

I don’t think it’s that surprising. He wanted a chance to try out our program in January and missed out.. now he’s back. It seems to me he’s far out of the US picture and is still hoping to impress enough to be back.

Its hardly a case of “choosing” when only one nation truly wants you at this point. 

Btw he’s looked awful this season. I don’t think he would be in a Canada team even if he wanted to be. Akindele is even ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He'll wait if we don't get to the Octagon. Would he commit to us if we're eliminated from WCQ? Not convinced of that...

You're likely right there, I got a bit ahead of myself! Although his options are certainly better long term with Canada. Toye might even be ahead of him on this seasons form.

I think I saw we can change the squad for the Haiti game if we get to the Oct. playins. Think it would have been hard to justify his inclusion in this full squad, even with Cavs having a bit of a poor season.

From his perspective of choosing it does make sense to wait if he is unsure. He might just be waiting to get through this camp, experience the set up and vision so he can make a balanced decision. Something he might have already done had he been fit in January. All a bit weird but guess it is what it is.

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think it’s that surprising. He wanted a chance to try out our program in January and missed out.. now he’s back. It seems to me he’s far out of the US picture and is still hoping to impress enough to be back.

Its hardly a case of “choosing” when only one nation truly wants you at this point. 

Btw he’s looked awful this season. I don’t think he would be in a Canada team even if he wanted to be. Akindele is even ahead of him.

Every time I look at the posts of those I block I'm reminded why: he played and scored for the US in the break before Xmas. Inform yourself. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Every time I look at the posts of those I block I'm reminded why: he played and scored for the US in the break before Xmas. Inform yourself. 

I'm well aware. What is your point? Him playing in a non-FIFA window means the US wants him?

There have been some changes since then.

Listening to the Best Soccer Show, the hosts were talking about the striker pool for the US and when Akinola came up they were pretty much resigned to losing him to Canada.

They also talked about how when Berhalter talks about the pool he doesn't really bring up Akinola anymore. Seems Dike and Siebatchu have overtaken him in their lists. Another name they've mentioned that is emerging is San Jose's Cade Cowell.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With the way Akinola is looking these days maybe he can be the next Ali Gerba 😉 

Put some respect on Ali lol, he got heavy looking beyond 30....when he was 20 he was fit. 

It’s crazy how guys don’t take care of their bodies/master their craft considering the example of how one of the all time greats has taken care of his. 

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Why does it look like he has a belly!!...really concerning, considering his history with injuries.

Glad to see him in Canada red though.

I think it is a lot more muscle too. Either way fat or muscle could be an issue for injuries. He should look to Altidore for a good example.