Ayo Akinola

masster

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

That can be easily achieved in the aforementioned time and yes, currently that is the main sticking point for us where the States are at a clear advantage. The away match against them during the Nation's League group stage showed ample evidence where they literally scored on every chance they got and believe me, any team with remotely functional CBs would have snuffed all four of those chances out. 

Considering Canada's bad track record of getting decent CBs last 10 yrs or so, I'm not hopeful, based upon the current crop of CBs and potential prospects. After Kevin McKenna, who's been our best CB? James and Henry? (Yikes)

I want to see stud Canadian CBs as much as the next guy, but the track record says don't hold our breath. (But I want to be surprised)

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Considering Canada's bad track record of getting decent CBs last 10 yrs or so, I'm not hopeful, based upon the current crop of CBs and potential prospects. After Kevin McKenna, who's been our best CB? James and Henry? (Yikes)

I want to see stud Canadian CBs as much as the next guy, but the track record says don't hold our breath. (But I want to be surprised)

I know he didn’t play at a super high level, but in the red and white DeVos always seemed to be our best defender.   Maybe I wasn’t viewing it with a critical eye but I loved the way he played.  

As for the future, I don’t think the past can be a reliable guide.  We didn’t just claim Davies - we produced him.  Same with David.  These are products of Canadian development.  And we have not really produced that calibre of player in the past. With the huge numbers of kids playing soccer, the many opportunities for constant training for elite-streamed athletes, and a domestic league, I think we will see much more domestic production if quality players in all positions.  

9 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Akinola will play a few games with the USMNT and then be "Bunburied".

This.

Its a harsh reality, strong possibility.Tesho made the wisest decision.

The US, currently has Altidore, Zardes, Sargeant, and Weah, then there’s MLS guys like Mason Toye, and Eboboise who are all number 9s - and are currently better than him.

My personal view is if I grew up and lived in Canada my whole life I would not have to CHOOSE which country to represent . I am not a fan of having to CONVINCE people to wear the Maple Leaf, you are either Canadian or not ( you can't be a little pregnant). If he doesn't CHOOSE us then I hope he doesn't stay in Concacaf and CHOOSES Nigeria. Thank u thank u very much.

13 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Let's be clear. Vanney did not complain that the CSA wasn't contacting Ayo. He was ******** about Ayo not being deemed a Canadian for the Voyageurs Cup, because that hurt Vanneys intended lineup. He said that the CSA was not doing themselves any favours in convincing Ayo to switch by not deeming Ayo a Canadian for the tournament. That's it. It was just a self serving comment in relation to that specific tournament and nothing more. 

Spot on BrennanFan.  That is definitely the way I remember it.

10 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

He probably also get nailed to the bench once Altidore returns too.

I can't wait until TFC loses its American influence. I've had season tickets since season 1 and I'm tired of being Team America.

This is bs to have the coach of one of our main club teams push players toward our rival.

13 hours ago, Yohan said:

Having the CPL now is the biggest difference from the last ten years ago.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

He probably also get nailed to the bench once Altidore returns too.

I can't wait until TFC loses its American influence. I've had season tickets since season 1 and I'm tired of being Team America.

This is bs to have the coach of one of our main club teams push players toward our rival.

Thanks, You echo My stance 100% , LMFAO!!!... Certainly condone this USMNT aspect like a pro Canada supporter!

13 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

It’s a different situation.  His agent is Axia sports management.  He has the same agent as David, Larin, Cornelius, Borges, Laryea, Shome, Bekker and more.

He seems pretty connected to Davies too.

There agency is a pretty big Pro Canada group.  I suspect he can be recruited to play for Canada.

48 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s a different situation.  His agent is Axia sports management.  He has the same agent as David, Larin, Cornelius, Borges, Laryea, Shome, Bekker and more.

He seems pretty connected to Davies too.

There agency is a pretty big Pro Canada group.  I suspect he can be recruited to play for Canada.

He's not with Axia he's with ATG who also represent Davies and Marcus Velado-Tsegaye.

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

My personal view is if I grew up and lived in Canada my whole life I would not have to CHOOSE which country to represent . I am not a fan of having to CONVINCE people to wear the Maple Leaf, you are either Canadian or not ( you can't be a little pregnant). If he doesn't CHOOSE us then I hope he doesn't stay in Concacaf and CHOOSES Nigeria. Thank u thank u very much.

The “you are either Canadian or not” line of thinking isn’t very convincing. You can be Canadian and have another nationality. People often liken the international representation decision to monogamous romantic relationships. But maybe love for a country is more like love for your children. People wouldn’t say “which one of your kids do you love? There can only be one!”

I am hoping he eventually chooses Canada, but I am assuming the chances are small at this point.

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

The “you are either Canadian or not” line of thinking isn’t very convincing. You can be Canadian and have another nationality. People often liken the international representation decision to monogamous romantic relationships. But maybe love for a country is more like love for your children. People wouldn’t say “which one of your kids do you love? There can only be one!”

I am hoping he eventually chooses Canada, but I am assuming the chances are small at this point.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. That's exactly my point. If I have to convince you I don't want you. That's all. This reminds me of when the World Cup comes around every 4 years all these Italian/Greek/Honduran etc. Canadians (who only watch soccer then ) cheer for the countries of their parents or grandparents place of birth even if they would be playing vs Canada.My parents came from Italy and if Canada is playing Italy I know who I'm cheering for (I don't have to choose which kid I love the most). Who do you choose if Canada is playing your parents/grandparents/great grandparents/great great grandparents country place of birth?

Edited by MtlMario

10 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm not trying to convince anyone. That's exactly my point. If I have to convince you I don't want you. That's all. This reminds me of when the World Cup comes around every 4 years all these Italian/Greek/Honduran etc. Canadians (who only watch soccer then ) cheer for the countries of their parents or grandparents place of birth even if they would be playing vs Canada.My parents came from Italy and if Canada is playing Italy I know who I'm cheering for (I don't have to choose which kid I love the most). Who do you choose if Canada is playing your parents/grandparents/great grandparents/great great grandparents country place of birth?

Both my parents are first generation Canadians, from England and the Netherlands respectively. Growing up both of these cultures were huge parts of my life, but never a doubt in my mind if I had the chance to represent any of those countries on the big stage, it would be Canada.

44 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

If Canada was in a the World Cup, they would all be massive fans of Canada too, don’t kid yourselves.   

People try to find another country to cheer for because Canada isn’t there.

18 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If Canada was in a the World Cup, they would all be massive fans of Canada too, don’t kid yourselves.   

People try to find another country to cheer for because Canada isn’t there.

My choice was easy in 86, hopefully Canada is able to qualify for more World Cups in the future, I think we will be surprised at how many people with ties to other countries get on board!

2 hours ago, Kent said:

as a professional in a career that doesn't last very long, one also needs to be smart about the choices they make. I want him to chose Canada too, however I understand theres a lot of weight going into a decision, and it will affect said player's personal life.

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

It's nothing but ludicrous to compare the choice of having to merely support a team during a 90 minute game with that of being an actual player and having to make a life and career impacting decision as your career as a pro is just starting. In the end it THEIR life, not yours, and THEY will have to live with whatever repercussions that come with the decision they make. If he decides to represent the USA (his reasons being his own), it doesn't stop making him any less Canadian. That's not YOUR or anyone else's call to make.

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

If that last question was for me, I choose Canada, but my family has been here a very long time.

I just recognize that the decision can be a tough one for players. I personally don’t spend much time thinking of uncommitted dual nationals anymore. If there is someone at a very high level that has close ties to Canada and would unquestionably be an upgrade (like when Junior was undecided) then I think about it more. I don’t spend time thinking about most though, but I do hope and expect that the people whose job it is to put a team together explore those options.