Ayo Akinola

masster

4 minutes ago, red card said:

He scored a nice goal last year but didn't do much after that. They brought in Mullins and played hm ahead of him. Maybe he has improved since then but sample size is too small to say for now. 2 goals were also just tap ins. 

He's already done more in 2 games this year than all his apps last year, and it's not just the goals, his movement is better, his link up play is better, he is making better runs and using his body better, he's clearly been progressing quite well. He keeps this up and he won't be in MLS for long. We can't write him off, he's a young dynamic strong striker.

Edited by LeoH037

Lol at those making a big deal of the guy scoring in a tournament where most teams are carrying rust.

Let him do it in a regular season AND repeat...than we'll talk

1 minute ago, LeoH037 said:

He's 20, and I see him being better than Larin and Cavallini in his prime. The kid has tools they don't. He's in the same age cohort as Davies and David as well, so him and David could lead the Canadian attack for the duration of their respective careers. Herdman needs to get him onboard.

He hasn't proved nothing yet, those you mentioned put up great performances in Belgium and Mexico...big difference

3 minutes ago, red card said:

He scored a nice goal last year but didn't do much after that. They brought in Mullins and played hm ahead of him. Maybe he has improved since then but sample size is too small to say for now. 2 goals were also just tap ins. 

Goals a goal

These are ones Ricketts didn’t always finish

This performance is a lot more impressive than his last, but I'm taking everything in this tournament with a huge grain of salt. Lots of frankly perplexing performances from many teams and players.

And lest we forget, he thinks he's American. Done and dusted unless he has a change of heart, not much anyone can do about that.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Lol at those making a big deal of the guy scoring in a tournament where most teams are carrying rust.

Let him do it in a regular season AND repeat...than we'll talk

He hasn't proved nothing yet, those you mentioned put up great performances in Belgium and Mexico...big difference

Last I checked EVERYONE is carrying rust, he's had as much time off as anyone. If anything, the fact he seems to be more match fit than others speaks volume about his professionalism. That's a virtue not a negative. Take off the red maple leaf glasses. If he ends up choosing the USA, then so be it, it's not like we don't know how to deal with heart break already. If he chooses Canada, then we have another potentially good striker for the next 10-15 years.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

This performance is a lot more impressive than his last, but I'm taking everything in this tournament with a huge grain of salt. Lots of frankly perplexing performances from many teams and players.

And lest we forget, he thinks he's American. Done and dusted unless he has a change of heart, not much anyone can do about that.

Ballou felt he was Ivorian... he probably still feels that way (and anyone that has written off Ballou is a fool, guy just turned 21), which is completely okay, but it doesn't change the fact he's still Canadian.

Def should be considered given his age, potential, connection to country, playing for the country's biggest club & in these 2 games is showing great goal scoring ability! (nvm the couple of misses in the D.C. United game)!!!!.... Is gonna be interesting to follow him throughout the course of this tourney + season to see if he keeps up with this consistency!!!... I'm sure Herdman is looking!!!

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Last I checked EVERYONE is carrying rust, he's had as much time off as anyone. If anything, the fact he seems to be more match fit than others speaks volume about his professionalism. That's a virtue not a negative. Take off the red maple leaf glasses. If he ends up choosing the USA, then so be it, it's not like we don't know how to deal with heart break already. If he chooses Canada, then we have another potentially good striker for the next 10-15 years.

You'll excuse me to not get excited too soon.  If he can repeat and do it again during a regular season than I can be excited.

I'll be watching until then and if he choose us, good. You never have too much depth

Edited by Ansem

The appropriate reaction to performances in this tournament, especially from unproven players, is how one would react to a preseason exhibition tournament. The preparation, intensity, and quality of play are similar. I think most of us, if Akinola or another Canadian striker, or one some might wish were Canadian, had 4 goals in 2 preseason games, would say "there's one to keep an eye on". That's me with Akinola and any other Canadian youngster that may have an eye-catching few weeks in Orlando.

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You'll excuse me to not get excited too soon.  If he can repeat and do it again during an regular season than I can be excited.

I'll be watching until then and if he choose use, good. You never have too much depth

if Akinola lives up to his potential, he is giving Cavallini and Larin some stern competition in the next 2-3 years. He is also younger and falls in well with the current young generation of CMNT player. He fits into the program well. Get Davies on the phone to recruit him if necessary, and Osorio to whisper sweet things into his ear daily. Hell, even get his younger brother, who was born in Canada and considers himself Canadian, to talk him into it too.

Yeah, I am not pissing myself with joy or anything, but this is a kid we should try to get into the program.  Like others, I won’t be surprised or outraged if he doesn’t choose us, but we should absolutely be trying to get him on board.  We are no where near the point where we can dismiss quality depth players - especially young ones.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I am not pissing myself with joy or anything, but this is a kid we should try to get into the program.  Like others, I won’t be surprised or outraged if he doesn’t choose us, but we should absolutely be trying to get him on board.  We are no where near the point where we can dismiss quality depth players - especially young ones.

People are saying this as though no efforts have already been made. I very much doubt that is the case.

18 minutes ago, Corazon said:

In case anyone is wondering - In the 2019 MLS season:

Tesho had 10 goals

Osorio had 5 goals

No other Canadian in MLS had more than 4 goals all season. 

Ayo has 4 goals in 2 games so far this season.  I'm not sure why people still wouldn't even consider him at this point.

Too bad he plays for the USA.  Before anyone whines, please,  I beg anyone to find me some quote where he ever says he wants to play for us.  

And dont compare him to Tabla, who may have thought himself Ivorian, but he played for CDN youth teams.  This isnt getting ur heart broke, this is more like a crush on a girl in high school who doesnt even know u exist.  

I have to take my point back that he would be very far down the depth chart.   He really wouldn’t be that far down.  At the age of 20 if he can perform like this then he is probably our 3rd best striker at this point.

He legitimately could have the same or ceiling or even potentially higher than Larin and Cavalini (Theres always risks projecting 20 year olds on their primes).

Scoring potential is the hardest skill to find in football.

For those reasons he should be very close to the top of the list of players we should be reaching out too.

I’ve said all along people were underrating Akinola for our program. He’s a talented kid and can easily be Larin or Larin + quality.

he was a consistent and key contributor to an U20 program far superior than ours. 

there is no reason we should be discarding this guy as not good enough or not committed enough at this stage 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I’ve said all along people were underrating Akinola for our program. He’s a talented kid and can easily be Larin or Larin + quality.

he was a consistent and key contributor to an U20 program far superior than ours. 

there is no reason we should be discarding this guy as not good enough or not committed enough at this stage 

I can think of one reason to suggest he may not be committed enough at this stage.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

In case anyone is wondering - In the 2019 MLS season:

Tesho had 10 goals

Osorio had 5 goals

No other Canadian in MLS had more than 4 goals all season. 

Ayo has 4 goals in 2 games so far this season.  I'm not sure why people still wouldn't even consider him at this point.

Let me edit that.

In all of last season the only Canadian who had more than 5 goals was Tesho.  Akinola sitting at 5 in 2 games played this year.

USMNT twitter blowing up for a cal lup already.

Edited by Corazon