Ayo Akinola

masster

29 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Positive news that he has solid ties with Davies and other CNMT players.  
if only we had a Pozuelo to feed our #9 that kind of service.  
How does everyone rate David as a playmaker?

Let's try not to pigeon hole David into something he is not. He's good as a second striker/wide forward. I don't think he'll ever have the qualities to be a playmaker

24 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Depends whether he is thinking short or long term. Short term, the USA is the better option, marginally at best. Long-term we are the better option. 5-10 years and we are going to blow their program out of the water and he should know this and get on board. 

Not until Canada develops 3-4 CBs that can actually defend.

13 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Not until Canada develops 3-4 CBs that can actually defend.

That can be easily achieved in the aforementioned time and yes, currently that is the main sticking point for us where the States are at a clear advantage. The away match against them during the Nation's League group stage showed ample evidence where they literally scored on every chance they got and believe me, any team with remotely functional CBs would have snuffed all four of those chances out. 

Edited by Macksam

If I am Akinola I am just going to focus on Toronto FC and play for the USA youth teams while I am eligible.

Unless he has a strong conviction to play for Canada, I expect him to do just that. Sit back and wait, no rush.

It will be really interesting to see what happens now. Will the USA call him in for World Cup Qualifying? They call young players all the time. They tend to have big roster numbers for their camps. The USA called Tesho for a camp and didn't put pressure on him to play. 

On the broadcast they were talking about Altidore taking him under his wing. Saying how Jozy was like a big brother to him. That's another thing for us to consider. 

For the USA he is up against his big bro Altidore, Sargent and Zardes. There are a few lesser options too. 

For Canada he is up against Cavallini and Larin, maybe David depending on the day. We also have some lesser options but they are uncapped.

This is "flip a coin" territory for me, but I give slight odds to the USA because he is already part of their program. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

What's the point of Herdman being there? He wouldn't be allowed to meaningfully interact with players, one would assume, and the view from behind the goal is much worse than TV. Not to mention how ethically problematic it would be, restricted travel or not, for the CSA to ask its employee to fly into the COVID epicenter for a few weeks.

Excellent point, and i'd also rather we save money for games and real scouting.

i guess is you have grown up with that kind of mindset, living one place and repping another, maybe you are more likely to turn your back on the program that has been backing you your whole  carer.  But if his mentor is the top US striker, his coach is a former USDA scout and he has answered every call for the US.....why on gods green earth would he switch?? Because Herdman went to watch him? If fucking Herdman doesnt know all about a 20 year old potential dual that has played under his nose in Toronto for YEARS then the whole Canadian program is fucked.  We could have called him instead of Bair, Shafflebourg, Brym or Nelsen last few camps if he was interested, just based on his cameo with TFC, but I dont think he was.    

If we cap him and swoop him away from the americans, thats cool.  But seriously...has he shown any inclination that warrants all the excitement?  For me he is in the super long shot category like the kid from Holland/Turkey.  

We still have to consider Naija...the Super Eagles could decide to cap him🇳🇬 because even though he is American and Canadian, he is also Nigerian too. Nigeria at this point are one of the strongest teams in Africa and if they decide to throw their name into the race to cap him, then Nigeria could have an edge over the USA and Canada in this regard. Nigeria have more world class players and also they are a perennial World Cup nation especially in CAF. I mean especially if his family is Nigerian and his parents/grandparents come from there, he would have strong ties to Naija as well.

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

On 12/28/2019 at 2:24 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just a reminder that he wasn't called to the US U23 squad for 3 camps in a row by Jason Kreis.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:43 PM, Bison44 said:

Having watched alot of Akinola I think he would be lucky to have a carer where he won MLS rookie of the year or bagged 5-10 goals a year in MLS like Bunbury or Tesho.  That still only puts him on the sidelines of our team the way things are going.    

Well, he's reached the 5 goals for 2020. In 2 games 😂

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

We still have to consider Naija...the Super Eagles could decide to cap him🇳🇬 because even though he is American and Canadian he is also Nigerian too. Nigeria at this point are one of the strongest teams in Africa and if they decide to throw their name into the race to cap him, then Nigeria could have an edge over the USA and Canada in this regard. I mean especially if his family is Nigerian and his parents/grandparents come from there, he would have strong ties to Naija as well.

As a Nigerian-Canadian, I have a 66.6% chance of a favorable outcome here 😏

Super Eagles capped Bright Dike, so can't say there's no chance of a switch to 9ja

Edited by Obinna

Just a quick look at their recent squds, and Nigeria have some strong, young attackers (Chukwueze, Osimhen, Kelechi). Really don't think Akinola should be cracking the squad past those guys, but he has played out wide for the USA and Nigeria do seem fine with capping anyone.

I still think he almost certainly stays with the US. He has been a part of their system for so long now, and the States will also cap a lot of guys. There are quite a few meh players out there with one or two caps for the US.

7 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

the Super Eagles could decide to cap him🇳🇬 because even though he is American and Canadian, he is also Nigerian too.

Thank you for your detailed and insightful analysis of Nigeria's squad depth in the "Forward/Striker" position and why this is a reasonable and probable possibility at this time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_football_team

I look forward to your essay on Josh Maja vs Ayo Akinola.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thank you for your detailed and insightful analysis of Nigeria's squad depth in the "Forward/Striker" position and why this is a reasonable and probable possibility at this time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_football_team

Nigeria have depth, certainly much better depth than USA or even Canada. Their attack is more dynamic. Like I said their attack is not only more world class but look at the talent he would be surrounded with if he were to choose Nigeria and they cap him. Plus their manager is way better than Berhalter or even Herdman for that matter.

Plus you put Ayo on a Naija side that already has attack depth...even more dangerous

As a fellow African...I surely do not want him going to USA but if it comes down to Canada and Nigeria, then I am obviously going Nigeria.

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The one player you randomly pick hails from Lewisham, which is where I have family. Weird.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Nigeria have depth, certainly much better depth than USA or even Canada. Their attack is more dynamic. Like I said their attack is not only more world class but look at the talent he would be surrounded with if he were to choose Nigeria and they cap him. Plus their manager is way better than Berhalter or even Herdman for that matter.

Plus you put Ayo on a Naija side that already has attack depth...even more dangerous

As a fellow African...I surely do not want him going to USA but if it comes down to Canada and Nigeria, then I am obviously going Nigeria.

As a fellow Nigerian...if it comes down to Canada and Nigeria, then I am obviously choosing Canada. 

Canada first and foremost baby. Born here, raised here and played soccer in this system. 

Glad to see how much of a Canada fan you are though ;)

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yea and this kind of sh!t is why people get frustrated with you brother. If you're not all for Canada, then why are you here? 
I'm of Jamaican-Guyanese decent....and I never wanted Hoilett to choose Jamaica over Canada. That is such a bullsh!t statement which questions your allegiance. 

I was against the crowd who was against you...but for this, you've been officially ignored.

Edited by Shway

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I think you missed my point. Let me rephrase; why would Nigeria rush to cap him?

Even a dynamic Nigerian striker, who has played more games in MLS like Orji Okwonkwo hasn't been called up beyond the U23 team:

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2019/10/31/orji-okwonkwo-called-nigeria-u23-national-team-0

Who would you cut from this Nigeria squad for Ayo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_football_team

Give me a player name. The point is they have too much depth. I doubt they are looking at him.

13 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just phrased this poorly and are talking about a USA vs Nigeria possibility (where Canada was somehow no longer an alternative).

As someone who also has a Haitian passport, I never wanted Jonathan David to play for Haiti over Canada.

30 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well, he's reached the 5 goals for 2020. In 2 games 😂

4 games for the team though, remember Ayo couldnt make the field in the first 2 games before the reset.  Remember Vanney went with Mullins in the first 2 games of the year when Altidore was healthy and starting.  He has taken his chance and ran with it big time, kudos to him.   But he's lucky that Vanney ever gave him the chance, if Mullins has scored a tap in from a Poz set up pre covid, Vanney would have had Ayo glued to the bench for another season.    This is what drives me crazy about Vanney, his first instinct was to play mullins, but now he looks like a genius who "plays his kids" etc.