Ayo Akinola

masster

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Kristian Jack just said on the radio in Van that Ayo's agent contacted Canadian soccer and told them he's willing to play for Canada if called up

That would be cool.  He looked good in the tourney and still has a lot of development time.  I would be strongly in favour of bringing him in for a look during upcoming (🤞) windows.  

A lot of context missing.  In the clip, KJ says that his agent had reached out to the CSA at the start of the year to say he'd be available for the U23 team for Olympic Qualifying.  The CSA noted his availability but he still wasn't picked.  

The relevant part starts at 7:45 of the clip.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

A lot of context missing.  In the clip, KJ says that his agent had reached out to the CSA at the start of the year to say he'd be available for the U23 team for Olympic Qualifying.  The CSA noted his availability but he still wasn't picked.  

That's true and then he said Greg Barhalter was watching him closely at MLS is Back. I think if the offer still stands CSA has to pick him for Olympic Qualifying now

Edited by SpursFlu

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That's true and then he said Greg Barhalter was watching him closely at MLS is Back. I think if the offer still stands CSA has to pick him for Olympic Qualifying now

I say call him for WCQ. There’s a few guys that we should look to cap tie, I mean integrate into the squad at the expense of some other guys. Example - I don’t want to see Millar in the squad. A guy like him needs to figure out his club situation. Wootherspoon is another guy.

We need to be more ruthless in the increasing our player pool.

I'm all for Ayo getting a senior call up. He's undoubtedly a very talented striker, and I honestly think someone like him and Jonathan David could work very well in a 2 striker formation, they are both very different types of forwards and could complement each other quite nicely. Regardless of whether he is called up for Olympic or WCQ, either would cap him to Canada regardless since I believe he would have to file his one time switch would he not?

17 hours ago, Shway said:

I say call him for WCQ. There’s a few guys that we should look to cap tie, I mean integrate into the squad at the expense of some other guys. Example - I don’t want to see Millar in the squad. A guy like him needs to figure out his club situation. Wootherspoon is another guy.

I'm a big fan of Millar, but I agree, if he is not getting playing time then he does not have the merit for a call up, specially if a guy like Ayo is getting playing time and is serious about representing Canada if given the opportunity.

Edited by LeoH037

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

That’s kind of crazy to hear. I don’t think he’s ready for the national team but certainly for Olympic Qualifying. And the fact that it would cap tie him to us is a huge benefit on top of it. Hopefully we reconsider and Ayo still wants to play for Canada.

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

100% agree. Get him in some WCQ games asap before the USMNT can. We need to have some other options anyways in case the European-based players aren't released to play. Right now is not like we are well stocked with NA-based strikers. Who knows when Cavallini will play again and Akindele is the only other guy that plays on a regular basis. He should be priority over guys like Ricketts, Bair and AJH.

34 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I'm all for Ayo getting a senior call up. He's undoubtedly a very talented striker, and I honestly think someone like him and Jonathan David could work very well in a 2 striker formation, they are both very different types of forwards and could complement each other quite nicely. Regardless of whether he is called up for Olympic or WCQ, either would cap him to Canada regardless since I believe he would have to file his one time switch would he not?

I agree. As I think David would be best playing in a free roam position behind a 9 vs him being the  9. From what I’ve seen, JD doesn’t do well with his back to the goal/hold up play especially against strong big defenders (USA) - where we’ve seen Ayo show that he’s a strong stocky boy. 

I think cap-ties needs to happen with whatever comes first. Which is WCQ - waiting for March gives the USA a greater opportunity to trick him into their system. And they’ll have the opportunity to do so with the friendlies they schedule.

Edited by Shway

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. As I think David would be best playing in a free roam position behind a 9 vs him being the  9. From what I’ve seen, JD doesn’t do well with his back to the goal/hold up play especially against strong big defenders (USA) - where we’ve seen Ayo show that he’s a strong stocky boy. 

I think cap-ties needs to happen with whatever comes first. Which is WCQ - waiting for March gives the USA a greater opportunity to trick him into their system. And they’ll have the opportunity to do so with the friendlies they schedule.

You mean the 40+ games he has already played in the red white and blue isnt enough??  I think he knows all about the american system, its us who need to trick him into our colors.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You mean the 40+ games he has already played in the red white and blue isnt enough??  I think he knows all about the american system, its us who need to trick him into our colors.  

What I ultimately mean is that he has a greater chance at an international career with Canada than the USA. By tricked is, he’ll end up like Alex Bunburys son with just a few watershed caps when he could’ve had a substantial career with Canada.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I have memories of David holding up the ball for us like a real veteran that game.

Maybe you mean that he's not going to physically dominate centre backs with his back to goal, like a Lukaku or an Altidore (or possibly an Ayo in this case). I would agree with that. David is not that kind of player.

To say he doesn't do well is a little harsh though. I am personally amazed by how well he draws fouls by getting himself between the ball and the man. We then win a free kick further up the field. It is a different kind of hold up play, and it is very effective.

Edited by Obinna

Also....I really want to watch them all go into meltdown when he chooses Canada. 

There are few pleasures in this world sweeter than American soccer fan tears.

I am loving how David is stealing the spotlight from Weah right now. Now that David is getting his shine, they are trying to make it seem like this is good for Weah, suggesting they can form some kind of dynamic duo hahaha...really makes me laugh. I think they are a little insecure about our come up!

The other one I enjoy seeing from time to time is Chris Richards at Bayern. Look look, we have a Bayern player too! No.... you don't...you have a Bayern 2 player! Stop playing make believe....

For a while now I have been of the opinion that Larin should leave Besiktas, but do you know what? F that. I want to see him stick around and score 10 or more goals, with none assisted by Tyler Boyd lol.

And of course, I want to see Ayo for Canada!

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also....I really want to watch them all go into meltdown when he chooses Canada. 

I am loving how David is stealing the spotlight from Weah right now. Now that David is getting his shine, they are trying to make it seem like this is good for Weah, suggesting they can form some kind of dynamic duo hahaha...really makes me laugh. I think they are a little insecure about our come up!

The other one I enjoy seeing from time to time is Chris Richards at Bayern. Look look, we have a Bayern player too! No.... you don't...you have a Bayern 2 player! Stop playing make believe....

For a while now I have been of the opinion that Larin should leave Besiktas, but do you know what? F that. I want to see him stick around and score 10 or more goals, with none assisted by Tyler Boyd lol.

This makes my head ache. When Chris Richards got a late season sub appearance at Bayern, Americans didn't say anything like that. The attitude was congratulations, but we've seen this before, and you are probably moving on. Subsequently, we've heard some rumblings that he actually is prized there. But the attitude is still we'll see. 

Contrast that to the Liam Millar Liverpool fantasies on this board. 

6 hours ago, One American said:

This makes my head ache. When Chris Richards got a late season sub appearance at Bayern, Americans didn't say anything like that. The attitude was congratulations, but we've seen this before, and you are probably moving on. Subsequently, we've heard some rumblings that he actually is prized there. But the attitude is still we'll see. 

I agree with the first part of your post but Millar fantasies? I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he'll be breaking into Liverpool.

9 hours ago, One American said:

Yeah, I was exaggerating on the Richards bit. Nobody is comparing him to Davies or anything, but there are some (arguably a minority) who are (in my opinion) way too optimistic when it comes to Richards and his Bayern chances. 

I am not sure that alone rubs me the wrong way. I mean, we do get too excited around here with Millar and Liverpool. It is a fair comparison for sure. Both have roughly the same chances of breaking into the first team (near 0).

I think the difference is that news of Richards and news of Davies do not deserve the same space, but they often do get the same space in reports. With all due respect to Richards, what he is doing is nothing compared to what Davies is doing. So mention of them in the same breath is what I take issue with, I guess.

At the same time, I get it. Americans are not going to pretend Richards does not exist just because Davies is doing incredible things.

Somehow though it is still annoying. It would be equivalent to Pulisic moving to Liverpool and seeing media reports about the two North Americans at Liverpool. Sure it would be factually accurate, but a little cringe as well, would you not agree?

Edited by Obinna

10 hours ago, One American said:

Are you serious?  Do we need to go back and write out a list of all the Americans who got late season subs, or appearances in meaningless summer friendlies played in the U.S., that had American fans basically penciling those guys in for 10 years of glory on the international stage?!?

Edit: Not to mention the numerous MLS players who we are told are being “hotly pursued” by European giants every transfer window!  Erik Palmer Brown supposedly to Milan comes to mind back in the day, along with Kellyn Acosta, and Cannon to name just a couple ....

Edited by Addona

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have memories of David holding up the ball for us like a real veteran that game.

Maybe you mean that he's not going to physically dominate centre backs with his back to goal, like a Lukaku or an Altidore (or possibly an Ayo in this case). I would agree with that. David is not that kind of player.

To say he doesn't do well is a little harsh though. I am personally amazed by how well he draws fouls by getting himself between the ball and the man. We then win a free kick further up the field. It is a different kind of hold up play, and it is very effective.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh....but not  a lot. By hold up, I mean being a target man. (Definitely wasn't referring to  Lukaku and Altidore - those guys are rare beasts). He was dangerous against the USA in Toronto playing on the last man, running through the channels off the break. But holding up the ball with defenders on his back was rare, he would check in like a false 9 would. Cavallini the Tank struggled holding up the ball against the US (away)

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree with the first part of your post but Millar fantasies? I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he'll be breaking into Liverpool.

I did say the comparison with Richards was fair, since both are equally unlikely to break into their respective clubs. 

However, I will say that Millar is arguably further along than Richards right now:

- Millar has played first team football in the SPL (for 1.5 seasons).

- Richards has only played for the reserves in the German 3rd tier. 

Furthermore, the center back position at Bayern is arguably easier to break into than the forward line at Liverpool, so there is that.  

Both players are rumored to go on loan with some good clubs. Will be interesting to see who gets the better loan and who makes the most of their loan. Will be an indicator on how they stack up against each other.

Edited by Obinna

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Lille just broke their transfer fee for David, who happens to be the same age as Weah, yet has already proven himself in an European League (best player on a good Gent team) and Europa League. Also, by the sounds of it, David will be the focal point on which Lille will be built around.. damn right he is stealing and running away with the spotlight haha. Its amazing really, 2 years ago David was still playing amateur soccer in Ottawa, and Weah was with PSG's academy (even had a few apps with the senior team), yet in that time David has seemingly made the better career decisions and its night and day where the the two of them are now.