WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

3 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Why even risk Buchanan?

Buchanan will start. He will be our most rested player having 8 days between his previous club match and the Mexico game.

Herdman hinted in the OneSoccer interview a few weeks ago about managing the first match of the window better and having players that were better rested (fewer guys who had played on the Sunday prior).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Dissing. He’s played more than 5 professional games.

Maybe Ennin isn’t vaxxed which plays a role? Is the only thing I can think of because he’s playing in better leagues than Millar and Brym.

Sheit at this point, why not call in Theo Bair as well.

Yes, it's a better league than where Millar and especially Brym are playing, but my thought is that he just needs to see more. Herdman's worked with Byrm and Millar too, so he's familiar with them.

If Enin was at CSKA Moscow or Zenit and leading the team in goals and assists, he'd be in there in a heartbeat, but there isn't a great deal of separation so Herdman is going with familiarity (this time around). That's my read on it.

But yeah of course, Covid 19 vaccination status could play a role, you never know. 

The positive for Canada is in a pinch etc if some guys get banged up in Mexico there's a few guys in MLS that Herdman could still call in last minute etc.....get the guys from overseas in now and then you've got some "break glass in case of emergency" guys in the MLS that you can bring in on short notice

Edited by mrstepp817

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Watching the OGQ - Brym’s attitude on the pitch seemed quite poor.  Barely moving without the ball and a ton of sulking.  I honestly hoped that was the last we would see of him.

I noticed this too, but players mature overtime. We can't give up on him or hold it against him too much.

If it continues over time that's another thing, but the player is 23 years old, talented, with a ceiling that's beyond where he's currently playing.

Remember, this is a guy who was in the Lille system and had loans to the top flights of Portugal and Belgium. He never made an impact, unfortunately, but it goes to show where clubs think his ceiling is at.

I don't have a problem calling him and getting him more integrated, but like I said earlier it's still somewhat surprising to see his name listed.

I have been in the camp with those that said the omission of Arfield in the previous window was much ado about nothing.  And i havent changed my mind.   But, now that i see that we are including players like Brym and Shaffelburg,  the Arfield exclusion is now a heads scratcher and something i question.  

The three players i mentioned have different characteristics.  And its safe to say that at this stage, they are depth options.   But i saw nothing from Brym at the OQT and even thought that Ballou Tabla was better.   As for Shaffleburg (although i like Shaffleburgh), we already have plenty of quality and depth on the flanks.  But that extra box to box option in midfield that Arfield brings,  could be usefull in the event of card accumulation or injuries.  

In the last cycle, i was 100% with Herdman’s selections.  This time?  Hmmmm,  i dont know.  Maybe 90%

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

Herdman must like what he has seen from him. Maybe he is projecting him more for later windows but wants him integrated now. Would like to see Enin for the same reason though. 

I wonder if he’s trying to get a look at some of the fringe euro guys now in training, because they may be needed in Jan-March when the MLS guys are out of season. Most of the MLS guys got time during the Gold Cup, so the euros are the only real unknowns for Herdman.

Regarding Arfield: Not yet convinced he's done with us. He's had to miss a match or two for Rangers as of late, for unknown, much speculated, reasons, and perhaps there is a family health issue keeping him out of the mix for club and country.  Unless somebody has seen news to the contrary, we simply do not know what is going with Arfield.

15 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I wonder if he’s trying to get a look at some of the fringe euro guys now in training, because they may be needed in Jan-March when the MLS guys are out of season. Most of the MLS guys got time during the Gold Cup, so the euros are the only real unknowns for Herdman.

Yeah but who is that?? The euro based names added, Cornelius, Millar, they have both played a bunch and should be known quantities. The other new faces, Shaff, ZBG have been up before.  I know its not time to f$ck around, but if we were going to expand the roster by 4, and those guys prob wont play much, I would have liked to have seen someone like Waterman or Ennin in there.  As it seemed like striker and CB are looking a little thin and RB/Wingers position is not.  

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

So what are we thinking with Hutch, Larin, Borjan? They join in Jamaica or Toronto? 

My guess is there's the hope in the next 2-3 days there's progress made with Hutch and Larin and maybe they can go to Jamaica ahead of training and be available off the bench possibly?? Borjan I would assume would depend on when he tested positive and how long before he's testing negative? I can't imagine they'd cross the Atlantic for just one game would they?? 

Just now, mrstepp817 said:

My guess is there's the hope in the next 2-3 days there's progress made with Hutch and Larin and maybe they can go to Jamaica ahead of training and be available off the bench possibly?? Borjan I would assume would depend on when he tested positive and how long before he's testing negative? I can't imagine they'd cross the Atlantic for just one game would they?? 

Atiba did just that in March

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I really hope we don't see too much rotation. This team feels thin beyond our starting 11. May even want to concede the Mexico game and play for 6 against Panama and Jamaica 

I would never concede anything , that is what depth is for, to let you keep people fresh. You do the Davies and David for the final 30 if needed but you go into it to win. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Depending how much training they expect to do in Mexico, I wouldn't even send a handful of guys to Mexico. Davies, Hoilett, Eustaquio, David... send them directly to Jamaica to lay in wait

59 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Guys - the only positive is the 5 subs at Azteca. But we need Eustaquio Davies and David saved for Jamaica and Panama.   If we assume Davies only plays two games why would we put him in the pitch at Azteca.  Why even risk Buchanan?  Better to throw on oso Kaye Wotherspoon cavellini and Richie for first 60 and rethink from there  

These don't make sense for a number of reasons:

1 - We're already potentially without Larin, Hutchinson, Hoillet and Cavallini for Mexico.  We don't want to hamstring ourselves more by sitting Eustaquio, Davies, David and Buchanan.

2 - Someone like David is used to playing every 3 or 4 days right now as it is and playing 80+ minutes each game.  He'll be fine for these games.  We know Eustaquio can go the distance.  He's actually already pretty well rested with his red card in the league cup.  Do they all play 90 against Mexico?  No.  But they can definitely contribute and play significant minutes in all games. 

3 - If the goal is to beat Panama, they're in the same position as we are.  They play El Salvador first and that's their best chance to get away points, so they probably won't take that lightly.  Then they play at home to the US and I doubt they would put out a weakened lineup at home.  They'll be as worn out as we are with this schedule.  And hopefully we'll have a rest Larin coming back for that final game in Toronto (if not before).

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I have been in the camp with those that said the omission of Arfield in the previous window was much ado about nothing.  And i havent changed my mind.   But, now that i see that we are including players like Brym and Shaffelburg,  the Arfield exclusion is now a heads scratcher and something i question.  

The three players i mentioned have different characteristics.  And its safe to say that at this stage, they are depth options.   But i saw nothing from Brym at the OQT and even thought that Ballou Tabla was better.   As for Shaffleburg (although i like Shaffleburgh), we already have plenty of quality and depth on the flanks.  But that extra box to box option in midfield that Arfield brings,  could be usefull in the event of card accumulation or injuries.  

In the last cycle, i was 100% with Herdman’s selections.  This time?  Hmmmm,  i dont know.  Maybe 90%

I thought the exact same thing when I saw Brym's name included.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

These don't make sense for a number of reasons:

1 - We're already potentially without Larin, Hutchinson, Hoillet and Cavallini for Mexico.  We don't want to hamstring ourselves more by sitting Eustaquio, Davies, David and Buchanan.

2 - Someone like David is used to playing every 3 or 4 days right now as it is and playing 80+ minutes each game.  He'll be fine for these games.  We know Eustaquio can go the distance.  He's actually already pretty well rested with his red card in the league cup.  Do they all play 90 against Mexico?  No.  But they can definitely contribute and play significant minutes in all games. 

3 - If the goal is to beat Panama, they're in the same position as we are.  They play El Salvador first and that's their best chance to get away points, so they probably won't take that lightly.  Then they play at home to the US and I doubt they would put out a weakened lineup at home.  They'll be as worn out as we are with this schedule.  And hopefully we'll have a rest Larin coming back for that final game in Toronto (if not before).

It is all hands on deck, no one is getting a few days in Jamaica while the teams has a huge game in Mexico. You can not underestimate how big even a single point out of Azteca would be for this team, it could be game changing, the difference in making it to Qatar or not. I would not be just one point for Canada but denying two for Mexico.