WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Even ignoring the fact that we're short on depth due to injuries, you cant "go for it" three matches in a row. Look at the last window - by matchday 3 we were down Larin, Kennedy, and Phonzie due to knocks.  You don't think that can happen again?

And we need to win that Panama game. Can't give any more points at home. 

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

We may match up better against Mexico then Jamaica honestly. With Jamaica's directness and speed it can be a big problem for us in the back. 

Jamaica has little experience playing together and doesn’t have much of a home field advantage (not even sure if they will have any fans in attendance). If I’m targeting an away match for points it’s that one over Azteca by far

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Jamaica has little experience playing together and doesn’t have much of a home field advantage (not even sure if they will have any fans in attendance). If I’m targeting an away match for points it’s that one over Azteca by far

I doubt they will be as poor as last window. Maybe a rotated lineup for us could be enough to draw in Jamaica though. It is a tough decision for Herdman.

We also might have to live with the fact that Davies is only good for two starts. I believe the media said he came into the Canada camp last window with a slight injury so maybe he is good for all three games this time barring something else developing. 

Two starts would keep Bayern happy. We didn't need him against ES last window.... I think he will be needed against Panama for that final game though. 

There’s a lot of good debate on the approach to the Mexico game.  I think coining the term “go for it” is the wrong way to look at it.  Let’s give this squad a little more credit.  I said earlier in this thread that we can hang with this team and the gap has closed the last 2-3 years considerably.  I like a balanced approach to this window.  Start your good players and asses each game as it plays out.  We have 5 subs to make quick changes.  Hopefully the injuries aren’t as big a factor going into next week 

Squad has been released: 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers-squad-for-october-matches/

Borjan, Larin and Atiba are all there despite injury/Covid concerns. Brault-Guillard recalled. Millar, Shaffelburg, Brym and Cornelius get their first WCQ call-ups.

Edited by Jith12

CANADA
GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- James Pantemis | CAN / CF Montréal
CB- Derek Cornelius | GRE / Panetolikos FC
CB- Doneil Henry | KOR / Suwon Samsung Bluewings
CB- Kamal Miller | CAN / CF Montréal
CB- Steven Vitória | POR / Moreirense FC
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | TUR / Hatayspor FC
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / CF Montréal
FB- Alistair Johnston | USA / Nashville SC
FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Stephen Eustáquio | POR / FC Paços de Ferreira
M- Liam Fraser | USA / Columbus Crew SC