WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think it's safe to say one of Buchanan and/or Davies could play there. With our depth on the flanks I'd be comfortable with Adekgube coming in to start at LWB/LB.

I don't see us reaching down the depth chart for a CF.  

What?? youre talking about playing Tajon or Phonzie at striker?? why in gods name would you think thats a good idea

If I'm Herdman, I try and sell Jebbison on the fact he can literally walk into our starting XI in at least one and significant playing time in all three matches. It's at least worth the try, there's no better opportunity to come in, light it up, and become a lock to at least book your ticket to Qatar

If he says no he'd rather play U19s, well fck it, it was worth the try

10 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If I'm Herdman, I try and sell Jebbison on the fact he can literally walk into our starting XI in at least one and significant playing time in all three matches. It's at least worth the try, there's no better opportunity to come in, light it up, and become a lock to at least book your ticket to Qatar

If he says no he'd rather play U19s, well fck it, it was worth the try

If Jebbison comes to this camp it would be the most surprising roster release name I can ever remember.

29 minutes ago, Floortom said:

What?? youre talking about playing Tajon or Phonzie at striker?? why in gods name would you think thats a good idea

Gold Cup vs Mexico in 2nd half Tajon was up top in a 2. Worked quite well. Not sure over a full 90 it makes sense but torching tired legs on a counter definitely can. 

43 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So with Cav and Larin both probably out (and Ayo still on long term injury leave), what are our options at striker for this window?  David is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, but after that we are definitely thin.  

Hoilett being played up top is an option - especially if Herdman chooses not to take a bigger squad this time.  Maybe others can be played out of position there as well - Buchanan, Millar (if he gets the call), etc.

It seems crazy to hand someone their first cap in a crucial WCQ game,  but Ennin is playing regularly in the Russian Premier League so has to at least be in contention for a call up.  Hard to argue against the idea that a guy playing at that level could probably do a decent job against Panama or Jamaica.

Tesho earned a GC call up and must be ahead of some of the other contenders in our 2nd tier.  As a big, strong and experienced veteran, he is a pretty safe option to have around.  

Then there is a guy like Jebbison   We still have no idea if he would even accept a call, but picking up the phone and inviting him might be an option.

I am sure I will miss some, but after that the pool gets pretty thin. I can’t see us going further down the depth chart to guys like Ongaro, Bair, or even Ricketts (he’s gotta done given his lack of playing time, right?).  

I forget what our formation actually looks like, but if we want to pair David with someone else up front, Tajon is a great option.  He would definitely create some space for David and run at defences.  Other than him, I think Tesho would be serviceable.  He's better when he plays with someone rather than when he's all alone.  I'm not too keen on Ennin at this point.  Would much prefer Millar, especially if we're playing against a strong Mexican team and we just want to clear the ball upfield.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Panama  are calling 27 players

El Salvador are calling 27 players

The USA are calling 27 players

Jamaica are calling 23 players (for their first match only)

The extra 6000 in ticket sales from increased capacity means $300K in extra revenue @ $50 per ticket. That alone would more than cover the cost of hotel and flights for 4 more players....

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Gold Cup vs Mexico in 2nd half Tajon was up top in a 2. Worked quite well. Not sure over a full 90 it makes sense but torching tired legs on a counter definitely can. 

Sure ..as a late formation and tactical  change it can work. I certainly wouldn’t count on it and plan to move two of our best players out of their usual positions. 

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I forget what our formation actually looks like, but if we want to pair David with someone else up front, Tajon is a great option.  He would definitely create some space for David and run at defences.  Other than him, I think Tesho would be serviceable.  He's better when he plays with someone rather than when he's all alone.  I'm not too keen on Ennin at this point.  Would much prefer Millar, especially if we're playing against a strong Mexican team and we just want to clear the ball upfield.

Fair enough.  And with Herdman’s “sum of the parts” philosophy I suspect he will mostly go with known quantities.  I do wonder if we would see at least one addition to the squad from Tesho, Ennin (who I know nothing about other than what I read here), and Jebbison (who is a big unknown right now).   

I guess the other question is if Herdman plans to redeploy wingers as makeshift strikers, do we need to call in reinforcements for the wings (like Corbeanu)?

Tesho is probably the most logically answer. He has been with the team in the GC and always puts in a shift. Larger body paired with one of our smaller attackers. Think Liam MIllar also can be used as well in that role even though he mostly plays out wide and I am not sure of his hold up play... but is playing at a good level and is high on confidence at the moment. 

Someone like Theo Bair is more prototypical of what we need. He has started well, though the competition level is an issue. Can't have this conversation without Jebbison either though it seems he will stick to the youth England setup at the moment. 

Again I keep repeating myself but I think this is why a larger squad makes sense. Integrate more players into the team and get somewhat familiar with the setup during training. Then when players miss out do to injury or suspension you have some in the wings that are part of core of the team.

Id be surprised at the end of all the windows we wouldn't have called up at least 30 different names because of injury, yellows or even form. It is a long campaign. 

Eagerly awaiting tomorrows roster drop! 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair enough.  And with Herdman’s “sum of the parts” philosophy I suspect he will mostly go with known quantities.  I do wonder if we would see at least one addition to the squad from Tesho, Ennin (who I know nothing about other than what I read here), and Jebbison (who is a big unknown right now).   

I guess the other question is if Herdman plans to redeploy wingers as makeshift strikers, do we need to call in reinforcements for the wings (like Corbeanu)?

For sure.  I am really hoping to see Millar there.  Corbeanu I'm not as high on because he hasn't been playing.  Shaffleburg is in good form, maybe a Paton here or there.

2 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

List of players called up by Panama

Only 7 of the 27 selected players play in the local league. And although the rest do not play for big clubs, the team have integrated and cohesive well . It has a lot to do with Christiansen's work. Panama like Canada has a difficult schedule.

Surprising to see Fidel Escobar on the squad considering he’s injured. Could be wishful thinking on their part. Time will tell.

Just now, footballfreak said:

Surprising to see Fidel Escobar on the squad considering he’s injured. Could be wishful thinking on their part. Time will tell.

With him and Nicholson being called in for Jamaica, maybe all the other teams saw how successful Herdman was with calling in an injured Cavallini and are trying to emulate him.

With the number of injuries we’ve sustained in the buildup to this window, any notion of going for it in all three games should be all but put to rest. If Herdman doesn’t play the scrappers vs Mexico, A team @ Jamaica, and then A with some rotation v Panama, I will be very surprised and disappointed.

Something worth mentioning is that Honduras follows 1 matchday behind our schedule through most of qualifying - they play both Mexico and Jamaica right after we do. Despite their early stumbles, I still consider them the most likely team to challenge for 3rd. The more we take out of Mexico, the less they can put into the game against Honduras. We shouldn’t roll over, but running out the A team, blitzing down the wing with Phonzie for 90 mins, and still losing, would be doubly damaging to us in that it gives Honduras a much better chance at away points in Mexico City.

Edited by footballfreak