WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

To address those saying altitude doesn’t give Mexico a major advantage at home:

1. As mentioned on this very page, many Liga MX clubs play at altitude. Even those that don’t are familiar with the demands of playing at Azteca and learn how to manage games better under those conditions.

2. Mexico is already typically the better side in any WCQ. Altitude widens the gap. They create an edge in possession, which puts more aerobic demands on the opposition than themselves. They hold possession early, work teams into oxygen deficits, and it becomes negative feedback loop from there - possession leads to tired opponents, leads to even more possession. You can’t really do what we did against USA (ceding 75+% possession) and expect to the same chance of success.

3. Mexico is deeper than just about any team in CONCACAF. They can afford to run their starters a little harder, knowing that their subs are probably better than your subs. Having 5 subs this cycle probably makes them even more willing to get into a track meet. 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Am I the only one not following along here?

So who is available to play when and where?

1st game for sure.. no Larin, Hutch, Hoilett, Cavallini or Wotherspoon?

Larin and Hutch not available for the 2nd game?

vs Mexico

No larin, hutch, Hoilett or Wotherspoon

Probably not Borjan or Cav but these arent confirmed

VS Jamaica 

No Larin or Hutch

VS Panama

No one is out for sure

It was mentioned in Millars thread that his teammate Arthur made the Brazil squad. Suprising that they would take someone playing in the Swiss league. But then I looked at their roster and realized David would be good enough to make their roster as a forward. 

So I spent some more time looking at rosters from all the top teams and decided that arguably Davies and David would make any roster for any team in the world! There is a couple teams, England, Italy, and Germany that it would be tight for David. But him being on any of those teams would not be shocking in any way.

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It was mentioned in Millars thread that his teammate Arthur made the Brazil squad. Suprising that they would take someone playing in the Swiss league. But then I looked at their roster and realized David would be good enough to make their roster as a forward. 

So I spent some more time looking at rosters from all the top teams and decided that arguably Davies and David would make any roster for any team in the world! There is a couple teams, England, Italy, and Germany that it would be tight for David. But him being on any of those teams would not be shocking in any way.

But are they good enough for Canada, is what I'd like to know!

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

This says that Larin and atiba have been ruled out of the first two matches but it hasnt been decided if they would be available for match against Panama yet.

Larin returned to training today

I highly doubt unless absolutely needed they travel for just one game, we shall see. By the way does anyone know where the CMNT is at this point,  them, have they started arriving in Mexico 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

I highly doubt unless absolutely needed they travel for just one game, we shall see. By the way does anyone know where the CMNT is at this point,  them, have they started arriving in Mexico 

Atiba came for one game in the Spring. Half of Jamaica’s squad last window came for one game. 

Id argue they're absolutely needed, especially Larin as the Panama home game is must win. 

Team started arriving last night. 

Edited by king1010

31 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Atiba came for one game in the Spring. Half of Jamaica’s squad last window came for one game. 

Id argue they're absolutely needed, especially Larin has the Panama home game is must win. 

Team started arriving last night. 

I'm sure Besiktas fans would celebrate Atibaba in a world cup just as much, if not more, than we do. Fly them out

I don’t even want to watch the Mexico game.  Holding them to a draw at the half and feeling slightly confident leading us to. keeping our players on longer than they should.  Then the crushing defeat as floodgates open and realizing that we are screwed against Jamaica. I can’t bear to watch this unfold 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Just to pull back from our game for a moment. The Honduras Costa Rica game on Thursday looms large. If a team loses thats going to really put them in a tough spot.

I think after this round of games you could already see this start to look like a 5 or 6 horse race

What are our hopes and preferences for this match?   I see Quioto is back training. 

20 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'm sure Besiktas fans would celebrate Atibaba in a world cup just as much, if not more, than we do. Fly them out

Based on the responses from Besiktas fans on recent Canada Soccer tweets, I think they are getting tired of us using up whatever gas he has left in the tank. They even are starting to get irritated at us taking Larin away too. Their fanbase turns on a dime it seems.

17 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Based on the responses from Besiktas fans on recent Canada Soccer tweets, I think they are getting tired of us using up whatever gas he has left in the tank. They even are starting to get irritated at us taking Larin away too. Their fanbase turns on a dime it seems.

Bunch of turkeys.  

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

We have Turkish fans? (And they are turning on us?)

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We have Turkish fans? (And they are turning on us?)

Besiktas fans flood most Canada Soccer tweets (about Larin/Hutch) with replies, likes, retweets. I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually more Besiktas fans interacting with those tweets than Canadian fans. In the summer time windows it was all glowing praise, but now it seems to be all anger that we are tiring them out. 

Ok got the crystal ball all fired up and boy even I was surprised. Here it is folks (if some of you are shocked remember I'm just the messenger.) 😁.                                                                                                                                                                    

Canada 3 Mexico 2 (a new scoring hero will emerge)

Canada 2 Jamaica 1

Canada 3 Panama 1

Enjoy. I'll be accepting tips at the end of this round.😁 Thank u thank u very much.

Edited by MtlMario