WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

20 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Better - they get Lozano and Jimenez back so their attack should improve

This seems to be a no win scenario.   Play some stars and put next games at risk or play a second string and sow doubt in our team.  I hate that this is the first game of the October round 

16 minutes ago, Ruud said:

This seems to be a no win scenario.   Play some stars and put next games at risk or play a second string and sow doubt in our team.  I hate that this is the first game of the October round 

I don’t actually see the risk that some are identifying.  If guys like Davies and David don’t play in Mexico, or play very little, they aren’t going to go into the next two games with a defeatist attitude because our journeymen got beat while playing away to the best team in the region.   They are all pros who can compartmentalize results and approach every next game as winnable.  A loss in Mexico isn’t going to shatter our campaign.  If it does, we are already screwed.  

Plus, everyone is ignoring the fact that if we play our strongest lineup, there is still a really good chance we will lose anyway.  This is Mexico, in Mexico.  It will be massively hard to get a result there.  So if we play our very best and still lose, what does that do to our psyche?   That seems far more damaging than losing with a B+ team.  And make no mistake - even with our best 11 we are still big underdogs at Azteca.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t actually see the risk that some are identifying.  If guys like Davies and David don’t play in Mexico, or play very little, they aren’t going to go into the next two games with a defeatist attitude because our journeymen got beat while playing away to the best team in the region.   They are all pros who can compartmentalize results and approach every next game as winnable.  A loss in Mexico isn’t going to shatter our campaign.  If it does, we are already screwed.  

Plus, everyone is ignoring the fact that if we play our strongest lineup, there is still a really good chance we will lose anyway.  This is Mexico, in Mexico.  It will be massively hard to get a result there.  So if we play our very best and still lose, what does that do to our psyche?   That seems far more damaging than losing with a B+ team.  And make no mistake - even with our best 11 we are still big underdogs at Azteca.  

the idea that losing in Mexico is going to ruin our collective spirit is ridiculous. I'm sure Herdman and the squad are confident but also have enough common sense to realize what they're up against. Mexico is 15W-1L-4D in their last 20 home hex matches. It would essentially take a miracle for us to win there an even getting a draw would be a huge challenge. Herdman absolutely has to know that and plan accordingly

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

the idea that losing in Mexico is going to ruin our collective spirit is ridiculous. I'm sure Herdman and the squad are confident but also have enough common sense to realize what they're up against. Mexico is 15W-1L-4D in their last 20 home hex matches. It would essentially take a miracle for us to win there an even getting a draw would be a huge challenge. Herdman absolutely has to know that and plan accordingly

Who beat them? Honduras?

20 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So with Cav and Larin both probably out (and Ayo still on long term injury leave), what are our options at striker for this window?  David is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, but after that we are definitely thin.  

Hoilett being played up top is an option - especially if Herdman chooses not to take a bigger squad this time.  Maybe others can be played out of position there as well - Buchanan, Millar (if he gets the call), etc.

It seems crazy to hand someone their first cap in a crucial WCQ game,  but Ennin is playing regularly in the Russian Premier League so has to at least be in contention for a call up.  Hard to argue against the idea that a guy playing at that level could probably do a decent job against Panama or Jamaica.

Tesho earned a GC call up and must be ahead of some of the other contenders in our 2nd tier.  As a big, strong and experienced veteran, he is a pretty safe option to have around.  

Then there is a guy like Jebbison   We still have no idea if he would even accept a call, but picking up the phone and inviting him might be an option.

I am sure I will miss some, but after that the pool gets pretty thin. I can’t see us going further down the depth chart to guys like Ongaro, Bair, or even Ricketts (he’s gotta done given his lack of playing time, right?).  

Schaffelburg has played some center forward. Not much but considering he is on a roll, he might be an option.

All this saving this guy for that game, and this game all makes sense in your head. You can only prepare for the game at hand which is Mexico. A guy can get injured in practice as what has happened before, so what happens if he sits out Mexico, and gets injured after and doesn’t play any?

I trust Herdmans mentality, where we play to win every game. If he does play a weakened lineup, then cool….if he does play a strong lineup, then cool let’s goo.

19 minutes ago, frmr said:

I agree we should field our best XI against Mexico, and I expect Herdman will do just that.

I just don't see the upside when calculating the risk.

We can't field our best 11 due to injuries, we have lots of them at the moment. If this was a friendly and we had our best 11 available, i'd be all in. However, I don't see or understand the point in risking the next two matches and valuable points for WC qualifying, just to make a point in one match.  This is a marathon, we need to measure and calculate the risks for every match and window.  Being cavalier isn't the right approach, we ain't Brazil.  Even if we do beat Mexico, aside from bragging rights, what do we actually win?

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

I just don't see the upside when calculating the risk.

We can't field our best 11 due to injuries, we have lots of them at the moment. If this was a friendly and we had our best 11 available, i'd be all in. However, I don't see or understand the point in risking the next two matches and valuable points for WC qualifying, just to make a point in one match.  This is a marathon, we need to measure and calculate the risks for every match and window.  Being cavalier isn't the right approach, we ain't Brazil.  Even if we do beat Mexico, aside from bragging rights, what do we actually win?

Agreed - much more important to go for the 3 points in Jamaica then kill ourselves for a chance at 1 point in Mexico. if we start our strongest line-up in Mexico there is no way for us to have the same 11 starting against Jamaica (barring some really early subs).

It seems like consensus on this board is moving away from that? Haha

Edited by trc2014

I’m starting to wonder if there is a negative to how well we played against a weaker Mexico side at the GC.  Assuming we are near the Mexico level and pushing for the win in game 1 of a 7 day 3 game cycle may be a big mistake.

Edited by trc2014

Back in the TFC golden days teams would start at BMO with a defensive lineup hoping to keep the score close for 65 mins. Then if they we're still in the game would sub in their best players and attack more.

Would like to see Canada do the same vs Mexico. Don't want Davies gassing in the 60th min vs Panama like he was vs USA. 

Panama is a must win game in this window. They will be tougher then ES I expect. We need our best team for that. 

I am less inclined to say "go for it" against Mexico because it seems we will already be depleted with injuries. So our depth will be tested in later games. 

Depending on what this roster release looks like I would expect Herdman to field a strong lineup vs Mexico and see how it goes. With the 5 subs available you can always take off key players early if it gets out of hand. 

Jamaica is on the road at USA for their first game. Will be interesting how they deal with rotation since the red listed status won't matter this window it appears. Jamaica has serious fire power and although disjoined last window, they have the attacking quality and speed to be a real hassle. 

Need to see the roster release to get a feel for how our depth will look.  

Just now, Floortom said:

Even ignoring the fact that we're short on depth due to injuries, you cant "go for it" three matches in a row. Look at the last window - by matchday 3 we were down Larin, Kennedy, and Phonzie due to knocks.  You don't think that can happen again?

There is also the yellow card suspension risk now too. Which basically points to the fact that it is absolutely necessary to call in 26+ players.