WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

2 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

@Sal333, @Kent, @Approve My Account Pls

the reason why im complaining is b/c i dont want those fairweather fans sitting beside me.  i hate those types of ppl.  u know the ones, those who follow not b/c they like something, but to stay relevant and cool.  to me, that is definitely not the way to grow the game.  u guys cited the leaves fans and how insane it was they had to have raptor tickets to buy leaves seasons.  THATs the kind of passion im looking for which is why i respect their football culture and not ours.

just to illustrate my point more, cactus club had the nets vs warriors game on right now instead of the pregame.  the place where im at is playing oldies music with volume muted.  the news radio called this qualification for the world cup of soccer.  guys...  please dont defend this as anything other than apathy.  everybody loves a winner and thats definitely why im backing the boys, but the typical fans (outside of this forum) think davies and david are the same person being mistakenly talked about.  if they know the difference, do u think they can identify (by photo): alphonso-teshon-johnathan-cyle.  show them photos of austin, john, mitch, william and you would likely score 66% correct.

sorry guys, i just expect more of those who call themselves fans

Everyone has to become a fan for the first time at some point. Why worry about gate keeping? Is there some secret quality test to determine fan worthiness? Just accept there's a lot more fans and try to contribute to getting more. 

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Everyone has to become a fan for the first time at some point. Why worry about gate keeping? Is there some secret quality test to determine fan worthiness? Just accept there's a lot more fans and try to contribute to getting more. 

i just wished ppl were more honest about their passion.  no need to apoligise for this being your first match, but dont try to trick me into respecting you more with your google iq learnt 2 days ago

8 minutes ago, kungfucious said:

just to illustrate my point more, cactus club had the nets vs warriors game on right now instead of the pregame.  the place where im at is playing oldies music with SN volume muted.  the news radio called this qualification for the world cup of soccer.  guys...  please dont defend this as anything other than apathy.  everybody loves a winner and thats definitely why im backing the boys, but the typical fans (outside of this forum) think davies and david are the same person being mistakenly distinct.  if they know the difference, do u think they can identify (by photo): alphonso-teshon-johnathan-cyle?  show them photos of austin, john, mitch, william and they would likely score 66% correct.

Ask them to turn it up.  I was in a Boston Pizza one fall when a qualifying game was on, same time as world series.  I got them to turn it to sportsnet and I watched the game and got a couple of apathetic buddies to watch too.  Remember Kingfucious, everyone starts off not being a fan, give everyone a shot, you never know who will embrace it.    

guys, i really dont wanna keep this argument going any longer.  im complaining b/c i wish the randos i encounter had 1/5 the kind of knowledge & respect for the game as those here have.  

disclaimer: i live in a city full of phoneys so maybe my perspective is influenced.   actually, combined with my line of work, yes.  definitely my circle of influence is perverted

u guys can have the last word trying to change my mind.  ill be on the other page cheering

4 hours ago, kungfucious said:

the reason why im complaining is b/c i dont want those fairweather fans sitting beside me.  i hate those types of ppl.  u know the ones, those who follow not b/c they like something, but to stay relevant and cool.  to me, that is definitely not the way to grow the game.  u guys cited the leaves fans and how insane it was they had to have raptor tickets to buy leaves seasons.  THATs the kind of passion im looking for which is why i respect mexican football culture and not ours.

just to illustrate my point more, cactus club had the nets vs warriors game on right now instead of the pregame.  the place where im at is playing oldies music with SN volume muted.  the news radio called this qualification for the world cup of soccer.  guys...  please dont defend this as anything other than apathy.  everybody loves a winner and thats definitely why im backing the boys, but the typical fans (outside of this forum) think davies and david are the same person being mistakenly distinct.  if they know the difference, do u think they can identify (by photo): alphonso-teshon-johnathan-cyle?  show them photos of austin, john, mitch, william and they would likely score 66% correct.

Well, after tonight you're about to get a lot more of those fans you don't like

4 hours ago, kungfucious said:

guys, i really dont wanna keep this argument going any longer.  im complaining b/c i wish the randos i encounter had 1/5 the kind of knowledge & respect for the game as those here have.  

disclaimer: i live in a city full of phoneys so maybe my perspective is influenced.   actually, combined with my line of work, yes.  definitely my circle of influence is perverted

u guys can have the last word trying to change my mind.  ill be on the other page cheering

Fuck, dude. You're one weird cat. 🙄

5 hours ago, kungfucious said:

the reason why im complaining is b/c i dont want those fairweather fans sitting beside me.  i hate those types of ppl.  u know the ones, those who follow not b/c they like something, but to stay relevant and cool.  to me, that is definitely not the way to grow the game.  u guys cited the leaves fans and how insane it was they had to have raptor tickets to buy leaves seasons.  THATs the kind of passion im looking for which is why i respect mexican football culture and not ours.

We need those fans. We absolutely need those fans. If only the hardcore were allowed, we would have a couple thousand at the game tonight instead of 44 thousand. If you were only allowed to get excited about sports/teams that you were absolutely obsessed with none of us would be able to care one bit about the Olympics, or at best could care about 1/20th of the Olympics. Personally I like, to varying degrees, Soccer, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball, almost any Olympic sport. I can't obsess over all of them 365 days a year, that is reserved for soccer. But I still want to be allowed to be excited for the 100m final in the Olympics. Or if the Jays are doing well (Baseball is relatively far down my list) I want to be allowed to get excited for playoff games. I maybe meet your standard as a basketball fan, but I probably wouldn't have for the first 10 years of the Raptors, despite making an effort.

To touch on what @kacbrumentioned. You aren't born a fan of anything. That is learned/trained. If someone bought a ticket to the game, or someone is taking the time out of their day to watch the game on TV, embrace that, don't push it away. I think we all want more fans, so we can't complain when we get new ones.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

We need those fans. We absolutely need those fans. If only the hardcore were allowed, we would have a couple thousand at the game tonight instead of 44 thousand. If you were only allowed to get excited about sports/teams that you were absolutely obsessed with none of us would be able to care one bit about the Olympics, or at best could care about 1/20th of the Olympics. Personally I like, to varying degrees, Soccer, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball, almost any Olympic sport. I can't obsess over all of them 365 days a year, that is reserved for soccer. But I still want to be allowed to be excited for the 100m final in the Olympics. Or if the Jays are doing well (Baseball is relatively far down my list) I want to be allowed to get excited for playoff games. I maybe meet your standard as a basketball fan, but I probably wouldn't have for the first 10 years of the Raptors, despite making an effort.

To touch on what @kacbrumentioned. You aren't born a fan of anything. That is learned/trained. If someone bought a ticket to the game, or someone is taking the time out of their day to watch the game on TV, embrace that, don't push it away. I think we all want more fans, so we can't complain when we get new ones.

To add to this, there's a reason/a person/a memory that is why we are all "hardcore" fans. Davies Panama goal, last night, this run to 2022 will be those moments for a whole generation and will be the reason why the number of Voyageurs will continue to grow. And it's f-ing awesome to see

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

I can certainly appreciate how exhausting it is to have newfound "experts" preach about the Nats. I mean, a fellow Dad was giving me a lecture on how important it is for us to capture those dual Nats like Eustaquio. And I had to hold it in to not start asking him about Tony Menezes or our rejection at the hands of Kevin Sharpe. (In the spirit of douchebaggery, however, I couldn't help referencing Jono, of whom he was unaware.)  :P 

But, ultimately, the reason we've encouraged, proselytized, cajoled, bought tickets for friends, compelled coworkers to come is for days like last night. Maybe someday a crush of fairweather bare-chested beer-swilling homers will snap up all the seats and prevent me from buying tickets for me and my kid.

I'll be mad for an hour, and then glad that we've finally finally finally managed to gain some traction with the general sports-watching public. Which is all we've ever wanted for decades. And what we need to keep up our momentum.

And I'll still enjoy that game at home or at some Latin American bar on St. Clair West.

Edited by The Real Marc

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

To add to this, there's a reason/a person/a memory that is why we are all "hardcore" fans. Davies Panama goal, last night, this run to 2022 will be those moments for a whole generation and will be the reason why the number of Voyageurs will continue to grow. And it's f-ing awesome to see

The same way we remember Hastings golden goal in 2000.  

We absolutely need these new fans to start supporting us.  It's positive for our CMNT program in so many ways.  I get the frustration when sitting next to fans without a clue.  I've been listening to it for years at TFC games and these people screaming to shoot the ball after stepping over the halfway line.  There are always going to be those fans but they will continue to be educated more and more over time with more games and more interest they have in the sport. 

Right now, I don't think we would have an issue selling out a stadium anywhere we go across Canada and that to me is a beautiful thing.  After watching the games this week, whether live or on tv, hopefully, all those kids/people wearing Canada hockey jerseys in Edmonton will be buying Canada soccer gear or asking for Christmas.  That's what these games mean.  Same goes for Toronto when locals wear their red TFC jerseys at Canada games.

8 minutes ago, Corazon said:

We absolutely need these new fans to start supporting us.  It's positive for our CMNT program in so many ways.  I get the frustration when sitting next to fans without a clue.  I've been listening to it for years at TFC games and these people screaming to shoot the ball after stepping over the halfway line.  There are always going to be those fans but they will continue to be educated more and more over time with more games and more interest they have in the sport. 

Right now, I don't think we would have an issue selling out a stadium anywhere we go across Canada and that to me is a beautiful thing.  After watching the games this week, whether live or on tv, hopefully, all those kids/people wearing Canada hockey jerseys in Edmonton will be buying Canada soccer gear or asking for Christmas.  That's what these games mean.  Same goes for Toronto when locals wear their red TFC jerseys at Canada games.

Did they not see the SVP sale thread or something?