Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Did he? 

My gut feeling says it’s a similar situation to Mitrovic where he was getting closer to Canada, England probably saw the stuff with his Instagram follows, told him he’s getting a call up to U20, if he tries a stunt like this again, they’re shutting the door to him forever 

I saw it a different way, as per my post before that.   The abuse would have come from us, recently. Edit - after the call to be clear.

But again total speculation and not the worst thing that could have happened.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

The coveting of dual nationals that don't want to play for Canada just never stops, does it? 

Most of our core committed to this country without any fanfare. David, Larin, Atiba, Buchanan, Kaye, Borjan, Osorio, Miller, Johnston, Adekugbe, etc. They just put on the jersey without question and got us to a World Cup. I'll rate them over guys like Mitrovic or Jebbison any day.

Corbeanu is my guy.

Was a guy that got no attention from Canada soccer, but when it did he switched right away!

I’ve said it before, he’s one that I’m very excited about. 

A lot of these guys are more Canadian than the country they represent it’s two thirds just optics. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I saw it a different way, as per my post before that.   The abuse would have come from us, recently. Edit - after the call to be clear.

But again total speculation and not the worst thing that could have happened.  

Yeah, any abuse would've come from our fans, I don't think England's care about him that much yet, he's to them what some random CPL U20 player would be for us who's a dual national with like, Sudan or Martinique or something.

That said, the England team got announced at like 5AM ET this morning, and he's already locked up IG a few hours later, so unless he got absolutely flamed the second it was announced, which I hope is not the case, I think that he was probably told to keep a better eye on his social medias. I don't know if players at his level receive media training, but I don't think it's the first thought for a 19 year old championship player to think that international team fans are going to be scouring his instagram follows or likes for clues as to his intentions. That's certainly one of the first things they tell players in the NA big 4 leagues who just get drafted, you have to treat your social medias like you're an international celebrity, because people will cling on to every little hint that you may drop.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, any abuse would've come from our fans, I don't think England's care about him that much yet, he's to them what some random CPL U20 player would be for us who's a dual national with like, Sudan or Martinique or something.

That said, the England team got announced at like 5AM ET this morning, and he's already locked up IG a few hours later, so unless he got absolutely flamed the second it was announced, which I hope is not the case, I think that he was probably told to keep a better eye on his social medias. I don't know if players at his level receive media training, but I don't think it's the first thought for a 19 year old championship player to think that international team fans are going to be scouring his instagram follows or likes for clues as to his intentions. That's certainly one of the first things they tell players in the NA big 4 leagues who just get drafted, you have to treat your social medias like you're an international celebrity, because people will cling on to every little hint that you may drop.

Certainly possible, hence my "and/or"

Kids (and non-kids many years after the fact) have got in trouble up and down the English pyramid for stuff on their socials, so it should be in people's minds. And he, specifically, did get a bit of football fame, scoring  in the Premier League, remember.  

But who knows, other than I probably should not speculate. 

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are journalists aware that the head of our entire programme is John Herdman and if he is not insisting, youth camps are not happening?

Are fans also aware of this. 

I love how he gets inordinate credit for the NT successes but is required to respond to nothing and is left off the hook for areas he is failing at.

Nick Bontis said during that fiasco of a Panama presser that if he didn't take a huge chunk of the WC bonus money there was no way the CSA could maintain its programs.

Now if Bontis wasn't bullshitting that means the CSA is financially strapped. So tell me again how Herdman's insistence can make youth camps happen with a financially strapped CSA..

That coupled with Bontis admitting that he sent Herdman out with hat in hand begging for money just before the last WC qualifying window tells me that Herdman can threaten his immediate resignation if youth camps don't happen and Bontis will open the door for him and tell him goodbye in three languages. (Greek, French and English).

Your antipathy for Herdman (or is it anything British) is quite evident.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Someone made the metaphor in relation to Mitrovic that the CSA is like the guy in high school that overlooks the frumpy girl and is only interested when she turns into a super model.  Well, in the same vein, there are a lot of fans that are pining over super models when the love of their life is right in front of them.  And even then, equating some of these guys to super models is giving them too much credit.

What's funny is, we already have the supermodel. People just also want the girl who looked good at that one party too...

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Nick Bontis said during that fiasco of a Panama presser that if he didn't take a huge chunk of the WC bonus money there was no way the CSA could maintain its programs.

Now if Bontis wasn't bullshitting that means the CSA is financially strapped. So tell me again how Herdman's insistence can make youth camps happen with a financially strapped CSA..

That coupled with Bontis admitting that he sent Herdman out with hat in hand begging for money just before the last WC qualifying window tells me that Herdman can threaten his immediate resignation if youth camps don't happen and Bontis will open the door for him and tell him goodbye in three languages. (Greek, French and English).

Your antipathy for Herdman (or is it anything British) is quite evident.

That ridiculous comment at the end completely discredits your very poor job at calling rose-coloured glasses logic.

Herdman is fully in charge of the entire programme and is paid accordingly, to boot. That is is job description, that is what he was hired for. 

You are arguing that he is right to not do his job, which apart from constituting a fraud to the funding sources (which are still public or based on youth player fees) is a formula for irresponsibility in everything else. 

And has serious consequences for the development, capturing dual nationals, building a new generation, and so on.

Either he is or is not responsible for the youth programmes. Meaning if he has to go out looking for money, or get others to do it, he also has to do it for the entire youth programme. 

This is the guy who apparently supported the players asking for 80% of World Cup bonuses after taxes.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are arguing that he is right to not do his job, which apart from constituting a fraud to the funding sources (which are still public or based on youth player fees) is a formula for irresponsibility in everything else.

Either he is or is not responsible for the youth programmes. Meaning if he has to go out looking for money, or get others to do it, he also has to do it for the entire youth programme.

He is responsible for the youth programmes (from the technical side), but he's not in charge of the money — or lack thereof — to fund said programmes. It's not fraudulent of Herdman to not hold youth camps if the people holding the purse strings don't actually give him the money to do so.

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

What's funny is, we already have the supermodel. People just also want the girl who looked good at that one party too...

They call it a team sport for a reason. Davies is head and shoulders above any of these mere mortals we obsess over, but the more depth we have, the better. It's really that simple. 

In an ideal world, every eligible player would pull on the jersey without hesitation, but opportunism has become rampant in international soccer, and it's being bred by FIFA. We have Canadians playing for Serbia and England, and we have Scots and English playing for Canada. It's upside down at times, but it is what it is.

Patriotism is not at the core of these decisions, opportunity is.

As such, why be critical of the fans who accept that and focus on the players we failed to recruit? These fans simply want the best team possible under the current rules. It's not as if they made the rules, FIFA did.

Now if the point being made is that we should focus more on the players who are committed to us, just because they are our players, then I get it, and I agree. But if the point is that our committed players deserve our focus more because they are somehow more patriotic for choosing Canada, or something like that, I don't buy it.

I think opportunism is the biggest factor in the majority of cases, which is kind of lame.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't see it. Social media abuse isn't really a cultural MO for Canadians, mostly because we don't have a big celebrity culture here like England or the USA does. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Too many fans who have only been around for the last 3 years and have known nothing but success tearing out their hair and putting on sackcloth at the tiniest of setbacks.

Yup. When you've lost potentially program-defining players like Hargreaves, Begovic, De Guzman...you've developed both a heart of stone and some perspective on situations like this with players this young and potentially more marginal.

9 minutes ago, jordan said:

Maybe he locked his Instagram account because he thought it was weird that there was article dissecting who he does and doesn’t follow

Yeah that was a bit weird from OneSoccer, I think as fanatics of Canada soccer it’s alright within respectful boundaries to sleuth information on players but posting an article and tweeting on a popular account about it rubs me the wrong way 

Kid needs to play right now, and right now it’s better for him to be an England youth, guys obviously he was close and he doesn’t want to close the door yet. Commercially and career wise the English flag will help him way more than ours. I think we all assume that our flag means more in soccer than it does, guys we didn’t even get New kits for the WC from our own sponsor…. You think that the euro snobbery is gone ? It’s not.

A lot of doom and gloom here because he picked the England U20. If he talked to Herdman and was told he wasn't going to Qatar, why bother filing the one time switch now. For maybe two short sub appearances in friendlies? Those matches are going to be about prepping for Qatar. He wouldn't play much. Or he could get regular minutes with the U20s, possibly get called up for the U21 Euros (a huge tournament) in June, then file the switch. If he's a year away from being an impact at senior international level, stay in youth with a country that actually offers youth football

7 hours ago, RS said:

He is responsible for the youth programmes (from the technical side), but he's not in charge of the money — or lack thereof — to fund said programmes. It's not fraudulent of Herdman to not hold youth camps if the people holding the purse strings don't actually give him the money to do so.

But he supported the 80% of World Cup bonuses after taxes for the players, let them strike for it, let them off from training even, and only talks about the brotherhood in that regard--meaning he is directly responsible for denying the program the resources you are saying he does not have to do his job.

That is the rhetorically entertaining argument.

The realistic one: in any case, there is no evidence there is no money for camps. There was money for a preview camp in January that got cancelled for Covid. It was not spent in the end, not the flights, not the hotels in Florida, nothing was spent. 

So the whole argument is spurious. You don't cancel your Xmas skiing holiday because you have a fever then say you don't have money to go skiiing at Xmas merely because you didn't go. The money is there still.

I make that comparison because we have underspent for camps because of Covid or cancelled them--the budget is there. The leadership to make them happen, and with them the youth program, does not seem to be. 

Who decides who the U-20 coach is going to be? There was money for that, for the prep weeks, for the tournament itself. So the whole argument is spurious. 

Herdman is in charge, he is therefore responsible. In the end not arguing this is treating him like a dupe or dunce or idiot. Let him be responsible for what his contract says he's responsible for.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But he supported the 80% of World Cup bonuses after taxes for the players, let them strike for it, let them off from training even, and only talks about the brotherhood in that regard--meaning he is directly responsible for denying the program the resources you are saying he does not have to do his job.

Brilliant idea. The head coach should’ve stood against the players in their labour actions against Canada Soccer. That would’ve ended well.

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

The coveting of dual nationals that don't want to play for Canada just never stops, does it? 

Most of our core committed to this country without any fanfare. David, Larin, Atiba, Buchanan, Kaye, Borjan, Osorio, Miller, Johnston, Adekugbe, etc. They just put on the jersey without question and got us to a World Cup. I'll rate them over guys like Mitrovic or Jebbison any day.

Hoping dual nationals choose Canada and/or following their careers really has nothing to do with the players that already play for us. Plus as a settler nation we have so many dual eligible players, it just makes good sense to follow them IMO.

Who wouldn't want good/promising players to play for Canada? Also you don't have to enter this thread if you don't want to.

PLUS, it can be pretty exciting on the occasions when dual nationals pick Canada. Or were you not stoked when guys like Eustáquio, Hoilett, Ugbo, Corbeanu, Arfield, Cavallini, Wotherspoon, Gutiérrez, etc. chose to represent Canada?

Edited by Bertuzzi44

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Kid needs to play right now, and right now it’s better for him to be an England youth, guys obviously he was close and he doesn’t want to close the door yet. Commercially and career wise the English flag will help him way more than ours. I think we all assume that our flag means more in soccer than it does, guys we didn’t even get New kits for the WC from our own sponsor…. You think that the euro snobbery is gone ? It’s not.

He should want to play for Canada, because he is Canadian. End of Story!