Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Exactly. I'm sure Herdman told Jebbo to continue to play for England's youth teams as it was  best for his development given he would not be a starter or get significant mins for Canada. If that has changed now and JH is willing to give him mins with Canada then I'm sure he will committ.

This is where Ugbo's struggles, Larin's struggles, and Cavallini's club situation could be a blessing in disguise. 

Any further scoring for Sheffield and he's arguably going to be needed come March. I know Larin always delivers for Canada, but Ugbo hasn't, Brym hasn't, and Cavallini is clubless. There's a clear path for Jebbison at the moment to be 3rd in the depth chart, which means he could realistically help us - not just make up the numbers. 

The chance to play in a World Cup right here in Canada and maybe make history by maybe doing better than the previous two Canadian men’s World Cup teams have done , I think is a good selling point . The fact that he spent a good portion of his youth soccer days growing up in Canada and was born in Canada, moreover , like someone mentioned earlier his dad played for Canada’s mens national basketball team, these are things that have me believing he picks Canada and sooner than later. 

Edited by SoccMan

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is where Ugbo's struggles, Larin's struggles, and Cavallini's club situation could be a blessing in disguise. 

Any further scoring for Sheffield and he's arguably going to be needed come March. I know Larin always delivers for Canada, but Ugbo hasn't, Brym hasn't, and Cavallini is clubless. There's a clear path for Jebbison at the moment to be 3rd in the depth chart, which means he could realistically help us - not just make up the numbers. 

in all fairness Ugbo hasn't been given much opportunity with Canada.  I'm not saying he's earned it, but based on the limited minutes he's had with Canada you can't really expect much.

1 hour ago, sose said:

in all fairness Ugbo hasn't been given much opportunity with Canada.  I'm not saying he's earned it, but based on the limited minutes he's had with Canada you can't really expect much.

In very limited minutes, I can think of two big moments:

- the chance against Costa Rica. I’m inclined to give him a pass because he’d only been on the field a few moments and it was his debut.

- Getting stuck in on Chris Richards, and knocking him out of the game with no more subs. A few minutes later Adekugbe goes up the field and makes it 2-0. Never like to see someone injured, but it was a good, clean tackle.

12 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Anyone else think that this recent good run of form slows down his path to switch to Canada?  In his and his team’s eyes I’m sure it slightly brightens a dimming light bulb of hope that England senior team is a possibility.

Unless, you know, he wants to play for Canada.

Dare to dream I guess...

On 1/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, sose said:

This excuse is running out for me.  He's got to start converting when he gets chances.  The straw that broke the camel's back for me was pre-WC friendly against Qatar.  He came on for 30 minutes and missed a sitter.  It doesn't matter the opponent or the score or the importance of the game, when a striker is presented with opportunities like that, he's got to finish.

36 minutes ago, VinceA said:

At this rate I'd rather see Osaze De Rosario over Ugbo. And I'm aware of the league gap I don't care I'm just massively biased as a DeRo stan LMAO

How about a fringe MLS guy..maybe a bit further along than young DeRo?  JRR, scoring for fun in nextpro and a cup of coffee in MLS...

On 1/20/2023 at 5:02 PM, Obinna said:

This made me feel better, until I looked up some info on Toney:

• Was playing League One at Jebbison's age
  • Jebbison had more EPL games under his belt than Toney at 19 years old
  • Jebbison had more Championship goals under his belt than Toney at 19 years old
  • Jebbison had a better strike rate in League One as an 18 year old than Toney
  • Jebbison has English Youth team caps, Toney doesn't have any
  • Toney earned his first call up to England at the age of 26 (in his prime)
  • Toney is eligible for Jamaica and was targeted by the JFF one year prior to the England call up

None of this makes me feel great. Jebbison is already in the England system and is already further along than Toney was at his age, yet Toney only had to wait until the age of 26 to earn an England call. Why wouldn't Jebbison think he could do the same?

Not saying he will, but if he thinks he can and wants to, it will suck for us.  

Our saving grace may be that Jebbison was actually born in Canada, raised in Canada, and has been chased by Canada for at least 2 years. All of that gives me confidence he will be ours, but I am anxious to get it done quickly before his development explodes upward. 

Since we are looking at stats, here are a few for Toney :)

2019/20 League 1: 32 games  24 goals

2020/21 Champ :   48 games 33 goals

2021/22 EPL :         33 games 12 goals

2022/23:                 17 games 13 goals, currently 3rd in EPL behind only Haaland and Kane. Now add Eddie Nketiah and Rashford with Arsenal and MU who are red hot. Rashford is playing wide but he has also played as a striker.  There are too many players ahead of Jebbo at this point for an England senior call up. Having said that John needs to bring Jebbo into the squad in March if he continues to get mins with Sheffield.

17 hours ago, Kadenge said:

2022/23:                 17 games 13 goals, currently 3rd in EPL behind only Haaland and Kane. Now add Eddie Nketiah and Rashford with Arsenal and MU who are red hot. Rashford is playing wide but he has also played as a striker.  There are too many players ahead of Jebbo at this point for an England senior call up. Having said that John needs to bring Jebbo into the squad in March if he continues to get mins with Sheffield.

Yes - but what about Jebbison vs Toney's betting average?  My money is on Toney.

17 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Clearly Jebbo is not getting an England call any time soon. For me it's about him being convinced he has no England future. Hopefully for our sake he already sees that and comes into camp in March. Hopefully he doesn't look at Toney and say hmmm maybe that can be me in another 4 or 5 years. 

Now that he is playing and scoring as others are not, there's a ligitimate reason beyond a cynical cap tie for Herdman to call him up. The ol' "play for England youth until you are good enough for Canada" should no longer apply, at least in my mind. If he keeps playing and scoring and the woes of Ugbo and Cavallini continue and he is absent in March, I am going to assume it's not because he's patiently waiting until he's ready for Canada. 

Let's see what happens though! I hope to see him! 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Clearly Jebbo is not getting an England call any time soon. For me it's about him being convinced he has no England future. Hopefully for our sake he already sees that and comes into camp in March. Hopefully he doesn't look at Toney and say hmmm maybe that can be me in another 4 or 5 years. 

Let's see what happens though! I hope to see him! 

I thought I read that the reason his camp say to hold off a Canada call up was not about waiting for England but more because it lets them negotiate contracts at higher rates given the "English player tax" as it was put. Seemed more realistic than him waiting for a call up to England squad. 

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Still think we will have to wait 2-3 more years for Jebbison to switch to Canada.

If he waits that long he might get squeezed out of 26 especially if he is playing in the championship.  

We are mostly producing attacking players. If David and Ugbo are doing well, and guys like Colyn and Krat pan out, plus the kids in Columbus break out like a Buchanan. Jebbo might be without a spot on the roster in 3 years. 

I get it, my theory might not come to fruition, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Plus, all this will he wont he from guys born here really pisses me off. 

10 hours ago, Vasi said:

If he waits that long he might get squeezed out of 26 especially if he is playing in the championship.  

We are mostly producing attacking players. If David and Ugbo are doing well, and guys like Colyn and Krat pan out, plus the kids in Columbus break out like a Buchanan. Jebbo might be without a spot on the roster in 3 years. 

I get it, my theory might not come to fruition, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Plus, all this will he wont he from guys born here really pisses me off. 

Also add in the fact that based on trends we always have a few out of the blue guys that come from college or somewhere else. So it's a good point to make. 

It's equally important that his decision should come sooner, and JH and his staff go overtime in getting him committed and less going on the fact that he "feels Canadian". 

10 hours ago, Vasi said:

I get your point and theres validity to that but alot would need to go wrong for jebbo and alot would need to go right for our other prospects. However, if we assume that happens, why would him committing now, prevent him from losing his spot in 2-3 years time. If Colyn and Kratt pan out and become better players than Jebbo, than hes 5-6 in the depth charts regardless of the fact that he committed 2-3 years ago. An earlier commitment to the program is not enough to keep his spot if much better players are available. 

11 hours ago, Vasi said:

For this to happen, Ugbo would have to have a remarkable mid-career leap and Colyn and Krat would have to show a form that they haven't shown to date. With the Columbus kids- I think Farsi is the same age as Ugbo and JRR looks awesome, but who knows what NextPro performance means? For Jebbison to not have a place on our roster, we need like 4-5 guys to take unexpected career leaps and for him to take an arguably more unexpected career tumble.

3 Championship goals sent Corbeanu to the National Team, and he would've been at the world cup if Blackpool didn't implode and he stopped playing. Kone is in the Championship, which has effectively locked in his starting role on the team. Junior Hoilett is one of our best players, and he's a Championship lifer. Different positions, sure, but I think Jebbison is good enough to play for us on merit now, and he's shown no indication of his form not being sustainable.

Everything is possible- perhaps Jebbo flames out and has a nice career in Turkey like a few other England youths, but I wouldn't bet on that.

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For this to happen, Ugbo would have to have a remarkable mid-career leap and Colyn and Krat would have to show a form that they haven't shown to date. With the Columbus kids- I think Farsi is the same age as Ugbo and JRR looks awesome, but who knows what NextPro performance means? For Jebbison to not have a place on our roster, we need like 4-5 guys to take unexpected career leaps and for him to take an arguably more unexpected career tumble.

3 Championship goals sent Corbeanu to the National Team, and he would've been at the world cup if Blackpool didn't implode and he stopped playing. Kone is in the Championship, which has effectively locked in his starting role on the team. Junior Hoilett is one of our best players, and he's a Championship lifer. Different positions, sure, but I think Jebbison is good enough to play for us on merit now, and he's shown no indication of his form not being sustainable.

Everything is possible- perhaps Jebbo flames out and has a nice career in Turkey like a few other England youths, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but we called Corbeanu up for the first World Cup window (v Bermuda and Cayman Islands) while he was still in the EPL reserve league). That being said a lot has changed in the almost 2 years now since that happened.

The reality is that having him commit now predominantly benefits is by tying him to the team.   He gets the benefit of senior-level international footy experience so it isn’t all one-way, but I think we would be the main beneficiary. If he is playing well and would warrant a spot, I doubt he gets overlooked in a few years just because he may have delayed his decision.    

I would love for him to commit now - in part because it means we are a clear priority and not a backup plan.  But I don’t think we can make a rational case that it is in his best interest even if he still has aspirations to play for England.  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but we called Corbeanu up for the first World Cup window (v Bermuda and Cayman Islands) while he was still in the EPL reserve league). That being said a lot has changed in the almost 2 years now since that happened.

Yes, that's correct.

His one Premier League appearance came after he had already scored for Canada in World Cup qualifying, although he was regularly on the bench for Wolves' first team while still playing for the U23s.