Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

1 minute ago, narduch said:

We are speculating.

Its possible Herdman has decided he hasn't done enough to earn a call.

It is getting a lot harder to make our team now.

It's not like we'll find out.  The press conference is a closed zoom call where media are handed the questions they are allowed to ask in advance of the interview and they are allowed to post clips of the responses on youtube and twitter in the aftermath...lol. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, this isn’t good. If you’re not willing to accept a call to your country before a World Cup and would rather play u20 for England you can’t be serious. It’s honestly pretty insulting. 

Putting the 6ix in his bio too. Like come on. You’re playing youth ball for another country get real.

To be fair, England has a chance to win the world cup (technically) and the Euros pretty much every single tournament. Getting a chance to play for such a strong team is an attraction we can't offer (yet). Not to mention, he doesn't have plans to stay at Sheffield forever, playing for England is a great way for him to raise his stock. I think it would be more insulting if we did this with a far lesser team, but I can at least understand the allure of keeping your England dreams alive.

2 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

It's not like we'll find out.  The press conference is a closed zoom call where media are handed the questions they are allowed to ask in advance of the interview and they are allowed to post clips of the responses on youtube and twitter in the aftermath...lol. 

Just like the Arfield situation basically.

The coveting of dual nationals that don't want to play for Canada just never stops, does it? 

Most of our core committed to this country without any fanfare. David, Larin, Atiba, Buchanan, Kaye, Borjan, Osorio, Miller, Johnston, Adekugbe, etc. They just put on the jersey without question and got us to a World Cup. I'll rate them over guys like Mitrovic or Jebbison any day.

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be fair, England has a chance to win the world cup (technically) and the Euros pretty much every single tournament. Getting a chance to play for such a strong team is an attraction we can't offer (yet). Not to mention, he doesn't have plans to stay at Sheffield forever, playing for England is a great way for him to raise his stock. I think it would be more insulting if we did this with a far lesser team, but I can at least understand the allure of keeping your England dreams alive.

I don't know, playing in a World Cup and having a great match, even minutes of a great match can do wonders for the career ....think Damien Duff in the 2002 World Cup or Memphis Depay in 2014. The latter was just a super sub and scored a couple times off the bench and next thing you know, he was linked to all the big clubs. Jebbison should take the opportunity and participate in this winter's World Cup if JH gives him the opportunity to do so. 

Also, our team isn't bad either, we got a dark horse vibe about us, I think we are going to surprise people on how we came out of nowhere, like the 1995 New Jersey Devils. 

Edited by Macksam

8 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I don't know, playing in a World Cup and having a great match, even minutes of a great match can do wonders for the career ....think Damien Duff in the 2002 World Cup or Memphis Depay in 2014. The latter was just a super sub and scored a couple times off the bench and next thing you know, he was linked to all the big clubs. Jebbison should take the opportunity and participate in this winter's World Cup if JH gives him the opportunity to do so. 

Also, our team isn't bad either, we got a dark horse vibe about us, I think we are going to surprise people on how we came out of nowhere, like the 1995 New Jersey Devils. 

Absolutely, but realistically, what are the chances Jebbison plays as much as either of those guys, considering even guys like Ike Ugbo can't get on the pitch for Canada? Not to mention, Jebbison is going to be 22-23 at the 2026 world cup, around the age that guys make their big move up a level, so even if he debuts for us then, clubs will really be keeping an eye on him. At the England U20s, it could be as easy as the scouts from one of his teammates' teams seeing him play, and recommending him to their club or something.

I know it's not the same, but it's like if you were a hockey player born in England, eligible for Canada, Canada offers you a spot on their juniors, and England offers you a national team call up- England is on the cusp of the top div in international hockey, Canada is a behemoth, yeah you can have some magical moments for smaller international teams, but if you somehow show out for Canada, that's what gets you onto TSN, and that's what gets you expedited through juniors/AHL and onto an NHL roster. I know eligibility requirements in IIHF are different so it's not apples to apples.

25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

The coveting of dual nationals that don't want to play for Canada just never stops, does it? 

Most of our core committed to this country without any fanfare. David, Larin, Atiba, Buchanan, Kaye, Borjan, Osorio, Miller, Johnston, Adekugbe, etc. They just put on the jersey without question and got us to a World Cup. I'll rate them over guys like Mitrovic or Jebbison any day.

It is mind-boggling.  I don't understand this self-flagellation.

We have a kid like Luca Koleosho coming to camp.  This should be front page news.  But instead we're focusing on the ones that want to focus elsewhere and claiming that this roster drop will just be same-old, same-old.

Someone made the metaphor in relation to Mitrovic that the CSA is like the guy in high school that overlooks the frumpy girl and is only interested when she turns into a super model.  Well, in the same vein, there are a lot of fans that are pining over super models when the love of their life is right in front of them.  And even then, equating some of these guys to super models is giving them too much credit.

Total speculation aIert:

I find it entirely reasonable that they told him that he was done with u-19s (he is too old for the next tournament that they are mostly built around) but we will give you a place in the u-20s.  The U-20s (not the u-20 World Cup teams) are not a premier place to be, if you are really good, you go from u-19 to u-21s.

He or his agent tried to turn that into a senior Canada call up and maybe a guarenteed World Cup place.  Herdman, going from the same sentiments in his interview or maybe the interview was based on it, said essentially we are too good just to call up anyone or guarentee anything.

Not the worst outcome for me, just means we kick the can down the road a few years. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

How is it higher than ever?  Following and unfollowing things on Instagram? Haha

Probably because he was lined up to accept a call, but something changed last minute. I think at this point, it's all but inevitable that he joins Canada. Just a matter of when he can see playing time. No point giving up England youth minutes just to ride the bench with Canada. Considering he isn't playing much with his club currently, he needs all the minutes he can get.

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

How is it higher than ever?  Following and unfollowing things on Instagram? Haha

Are journalists aware that the head of our entire programme is John Herdman and if he is not insisting, youth camps are not happening?

Are fans also aware of this. 

I love how he gets inordinate credit for the NT successes but is required to respond to nothing and is left off the hook for areas he is failing at.

9 minutes ago, frmr said:

Probably because he was lined up to accept a call, but something changed last minute. I think at this point, it's all but inevitable that he joins Canada. Just a matter of when he can see playing time. No point giving up England youth minutes just to ride the bench with Canada. Considering he isn't playing much with his club currently, he needs all the minutes he can get.

I think you are giving too much credit that OneSoccer has any kind of inside source.  The events of the past two days are making it appear this is not the case.

19 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

It is mind-boggling.  I don't understand this self-flagellation.

We have a kid like Luca Koleosho coming to camp.  This should be front page news.  But instead we're focusing on the ones that want to focus elsewhere and claiming that this roster drop will just be same-old, same-old.

Too many fans who have only been around for the last 3 years and have known nothing but success tearing out their hair and putting on sackcloth at the tiniest of setbacks.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I think you are giving too much credit that OneSoccer has any kind of inside source.  The events of the past two days are making it appear this is not the case.

I'm not assuming OneSoccer knew anything. I thought he would be called up as soon as the Instagram stuff came up.

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And/or unfortunately, he got some abuse.

Did he? 

My gut feeling says it’s a similar situation to Mitrovic where he was getting closer to Canada, England probably saw the stuff with his Instagram follows, told him he’s getting a call up to U20, if he tries a stunt like this again, they’re shutting the door to him forever