Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

It is entirely possible that we are the clear choice for senior play and he is just staying in the England setup to benefit from the exposure and experience they get at the youth level.   Of course he may have something else in his head entirely but there is nothing we have seen so far that is contrary to this sort of pro-Canada outlook.  Fingers crossed because even if he doesn’t turn into a world beater I find it hard to believe that we will be so deep in the striker position that a guy like him wouldn’t be a contributor.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is entirely possible that we are the clear choice for senior play and he is just staying in the England setup to benefit from the exposure and experience they get at the youth level.   Of course he may have something else in his head entirely but there is nothing we have seen so far that is contrary to this sort of pro-Canada outlook.  Fingers crossed because even if he doesn’t turn into a world beater I find it hard to believe that we will be so deep in the striker position that a guy like him wouldn’t be a contributor.  

This is exactly what I think is happening. Eustaquio played for Portugal up until his last action in u21 when they lost to Poland in qualifying. So for Jebbison, if he makes England u21, I see him committing to us in 2025.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is exactly what I think is happening. Eustaquio played for Portugal up until his last action in u21 when they lost to Poland in qualifying. So for Jebbison, if he makes England u21, I see him committing to us in 2025.

There is NL, GC and possible Copa coming up for Canada before 2025. If JH feels Jebbo is ready to contribute to the senior team (this is key) where he will be playing with and against better players vs England's youth why would he wait until 2025? 

Hard to imagine what he can do to get on England’s roster at this point- if the best case scenario happened- he takes a Kone-esque leap, becomes a starter before end of season, and then Sheffield gets promoted and he’s still starting for them as a bottom of table premier league team, I don’t think that would be enough to get him on their radar, not even considering how unlikely that specific series of events happening really is. Unless in that first EPL season he breaks out for like 10G, he’d probably need a big transfer to a better team pretty soon thereafter too. 

Looking at the current England squad, there are maybe 2 or 3 players who had not yet moved on to a bigger club by Jebbison’s age. Fully think he’ll hold out for the next few years, because who knows what could really happen, but if the rumours of how close he is to Canada are remotely true, that tells me that he’s thinking of this critically and isn’t going to get himself into a situation where he gets cap tied at 21 for England then never plays again, I think he commits for us unless England makes him a part of their future plans beyond just a few nations league apps.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Getting the start today.   Seems to have elevated his standing in the club in the last little while. Would be really encouraging if he could cement a a starting spot.  

I agree.

I also wonder....are we finally passed the point of not wanting him to grow too fast?

Say he's 19 and starting (and scoring) for Sheffield United, and say they get promoted (seems likely atm) and he's their starting striker in the EPL, or even just a core part of their striker rotation. He would just be a few goals away from re-igniting the English question, no? 

Not saying he'll ever play for them, but just wondering if we'd be back in the same situation as when he first broke out in the prem? That could keep us in this holding pattern. 

Obviously, I hope he makes the switch first and THEN all this good stuff can happen :)

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree.

I also wonder....are we finally passed the point of not wanting him to grow too fast?

Say he's 19 and starting (and scoring) for Sheffield United, and say they get promoted (seems likely atm) and he's their starting striker in the EPL, or even just a core part of their striker rotation. He would just be a few goals away from re-igniting the English question, no? 

Not saying he'll ever play for them, but just wondering if we'd be back in the same situation as when he first broke out in the prem? That could keep us in this holding pattern. 

Obviously, I hope he makes the switch first and THEN all this good stuff can happen :)

I think it could get him in the mix for sure. A few of England's players were playing in the Championship and League One at 19, moved to a bigger club, and then got a national team call up. Maybe sheffield gets promoted, wants to rely on a proven striker to avoid relegation, so they sell jebbison to a mid table club like brighton or palace, and if he's 20 getting minutes for a team like that... England can't ignore him.

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree.

I'm not too worried about this one. This kid is Canadian!! His dad represented Canada in Basketball at the World University games in 1989. Barring some miraculous form in the next couple years that gets him on England's radar (and maybe not even then) he's ours.

Edited by johnyb

How many England caps does Ivan Toney have? He was killing it in the Championship and didn't miss a beat when Brentford promoted to the EPL.  England churns out high level players every season. Competition is fierce and then you have a gaffer that is loyal to certain players.  Herdman needs to call Jebbo in March as per @VasiCome to Canada 🇨🇦 

19 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Anyone else think that this recent good run of form slows down his path to switch to Canada?  In his and his team’s eyes I’m sure it slightly brightens a dimming light bulb of hope that England senior team is a possibility.

I agree but playing devils advocate here. Does his improved form Put him as our starting #9 (with david as our 10 hybrid role)? Maybe he doesnt want to commit to canada as a role player when he needs to focus on his club. However, he could be tempted into joining our program if hes a starter.

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

I agree but playing devils advocate here. Does his improved form Put him as our starting #9 (with david as our 10 hybrid role)? Maybe he doesnt want to commit to canada as a role player when he needs to focus on his club. However, he could be tempted into joining our program if hes a starter.

Exactly. I'm sure Herdman told Jebbo to continue to play for England's youth teams as it was  best for his development given he would not be a starter or get significant mins for Canada. If that has changed now and JH is willing to give him mins with Canada then I'm sure he will committ.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

How many England caps does Ivan Toney have? He was killing it in the Championship and didn't miss a beat when Brentford promoted to the EPL.  England churns out high level players every season. Competition is fierce and then you have a gaffer that is loyal to certain players.  Herdman needs to call Jebbo in March as per @VasiCome to Canada 🇨🇦 

None, but he’s going to get some this year, I think he’s top 5 in goals in the prem? 

Would a player wait 7 years to commit to an NT that can “hypothetically win the World Cup” or would he commit to another country that would play him much more? Not sure. 

Herdman needs to call him in, not just to cap him, but we could actually use him. I know we’ve been in contact with him, I hope he comes home soon.

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This made me feel better, until I looked up some info on Toney:

• Was playing League One at Jebbison's age
  • Jebbison had more EPL games under his belt than Toney at 19 years old
  • Jebbison had more Championship goals under his belt than Toney at 19 years old
  • Jebbison had a better strike rate in League One as an 18 year old than Toney
  • Jebbison has English Youth team caps, Toney doesn't have any
  • Toney earned his first call up to England at the age of 26 (in his prime)
  • Toney is eligible for Jamaica and was targeted by the JFF one year prior to the England call up

None of this makes me feel great. Jebbison is already in the England system and is already further along than Toney was at his age, yet Toney only had to wait until the age of 26 to earn an England call. Why wouldn't Jebbison think he could do the same?

Not saying he will, but if he thinks he can and wants to, it will suck for us.  

Our saving grace may be that Jebbison was actually born in Canada, raised in Canada, and has been chased by Canada for at least 2 years. All of that gives me confidence he will be ours, but I am anxious to get it done quickly before his development explodes upward. 

If he wants to play Copa America 2024, he should probably think about committing soon. Time moves quickly, and there's only so many chances to earn a place with the national team. Seems like there's a striker position up for grabs at the moment.