Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

50 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Jebbison could definitely play a role on the CMNT in 2022

I doubt it.  Herdman does not strike me as the type of coach who is going to cut someone who has gone through all of qualifying to parachute in someone else unless we are knee capped by a series of injuries.

This board has a serious crush on new young players with potential, but my guess is that if you weren't called up by now, you are not in consideration for the world Cup squad (excluding injuries).

5 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I doubt it.  Herdman does not strike me as the type of coach who is going to cut someone who has gone through all of qualifying to parachute in someone else unless we are knee capped by a series of injuries.

This board has a serious crush on new young players with potential, but my guess is that if you weren't called up by now, you are not in consideration for the world Cup squad (excluding injuries).

I think it depends highly on performance, and it should. If Jebbison is banging in goals in the Championship it would be completely remiss not to call him up. I understand the brotherhood aspect, but above all it should be based on merit. Ugbo got called directly in above other strikers who have gotten calls in the past because he’s a better player. If the same can be said for Jebbison then he should get the call. Now if Herdman values Cavallini’s intangibles over Jebbison’s attributes on the pitch, for example, then that’s another conversation, but a blanket statement saying no new players should be called up period, I would disagree with that.

Edited by frmr

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

I think it depends highly on performance. If Jebbison is banging in goals in the Championship it would be completely remiss not to call him up. I understand the brotherhood aspect, but above all it should be based on merit. Ugbo got called directly in above other strikers who have gotten calls in the past because he’s a better player. If the same goes for Jebbison then should get the call.

It's also worth noting that he and Canadian players are regularly in each other comments on instagram. May not mean anything in the long run, but shows he does have some level of interaction with our players

11 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I really hope you are wrong. If Jebbison is back with Sheffield and banging in goals in the Championship, how do you not call him up? If Herdman refuses to call him and instead calls, for instance, an out of form Cavallini for the WORLD CUP then I would be very very surprised. Yes there is a "brotherhood" but you also want competition within the side and to bring in promising players to the National Team. I am sure Herdman recognizes this.

Plus we've seen Herdman bring in new players. Especially if they have quality, it would be stupid not to.

I think you are wrong.

I think there also a strategic element that would come into play.   If not 2022, then when?   Would he commit himself for our next Gold Cup? Or choose to lock in his international future so he can play in Nations League?  Doubt it.  Which means the next chance would be 2026, and who knows if England would be an option for him at that time.  The reality is that he probably won’t be in our system for a number of years once 2022 passes.

Unlike Flores, Jebbison isn’t just a youth prospect with a high ceiling. He is doing the work in a men’s league with seasoned pros.  At this moment he isn’t ahead of anyone in our setup and I agree that Herdman wouldn’t displace anyone for him.  But by next November, who knows.  He could be playing for a mid-table Championship team and banging in goals while Cav’s next season could look the same (or worse) than his last one.  And as much as we are excited about Ugbo, I don’t think anyone can crystal ball what he will be doing next season.  Throw in the timing factor about when he is likely to commit and I think it is entirely possible that he could play for us in 2022 if he was willing.  Likely?  Not a clue.  But plausible?  Certainly.  

Just wondering:  we speak of roster selections as being "either-or" selections, which is fair when we have ample recent evidence that camps in qualifying remain at or close to 23.  But assuming we get to the World Cup, does that not come with appearance fees to the CSA just for qualifying?  And would it not be likely that we might bring a slightly larger camp in that case (given that frugality and lack of funds is at least one of the likely reasons for keeping camps small in qualifying)?

If those are reasonable assumptions, I think (provided a new addition like Jebbison is a good fit personality-wise and quality-wise) we may not need to have Jebbison vs Cavallini debates.  We probably have room for both, and they each bring a unique skill set when at their best.

At that point, the question becomes (assuming you wouldn't drop any of the horses that brung you), what extra 4-6 horses do you consider bringing?  I think Jebbison is definitely one of those, particularly if he is scoring in the Championship.

17 minutes ago, shorty said:

Just wondering:  we speak of roster selections as being "either-or" selections, which is fair when we have ample recent evidence that camps in qualifying remain at or close to 23.  But assuming we get to the World Cup, does that not come with appearance fees to the CSA just for qualifying?  And would it not be likely that we might bring a slightly larger camp in that case (given that frugality and lack of funds is at least one of the likely reasons for keeping camps small in qualifying)?

If those are reasonable assumptions, I think (provided a new addition like Jebbison is a good fit personality-wise and quality-wise) we may not need to have Jebbison vs Cavallini debates.  We probably have room for both, and they each bring a unique skill set when at their best.

At that point, the question becomes (assuming you wouldn't drop any of the horses that brung you), what extra 4-6 horses do you consider bringing?  I think Jebbison is definitely one of those, particularly if he is scoring in the Championship.

In the actual World Cup tournament, teams are restricted to 23-man squads.

I doubt he commits to us just to be part of an extended squad and maybe never sees the field.  This is a guy who probably believes he has options so if we want him to sign up I think the opportunity has to be more than that.   If he doesn’t think he will play, he doesn’t lose anything by delaying his decision.  

34 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

In the actual World Cup tournament, teams are restricted to 23-man squads.

Got it. Thanks.  Didn't realize the regs were different.

(from the regs in qualifying, I mean, which I realize are governed by the respective regional bodies, but I would have thought they would be standard)

Edited by shorty

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman will still select 23 lol

I know you are being sarcastic but he will select 26 as you can’t have a taxi squad in the World Cup I believe so you are stuck only with the guys you name to cover injuries/suspensions. That being said, I think Spain only selected 24 for the Euros (or perhaps it was one of the other sides but Spain seems to stick in my mind for doing that)

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Jebbison officially going back to Sheffield United

This is good for him, hopefully by doing this Sheffield is showing that they have the confidence in him to at least contribute off the bench. Now lets see what he can do.  

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If he's not with us in March or June I'd be really surprised. 

I wouldn’t be surprised because I don’t actually know how he feels but if there is one dual national that I think is most likely, Jebbison is that guy. 

if any of the other dual nationals were just Canadian, I’m not sure they would warrant a call up. Jebbi you can now make the case for