Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

On 1/29/2022 at 6:44 PM, dyslexic nam said:

.  And as much as we are excited about Ugbo, I don’t think anyone can crystal ball what he will be doing next season.    

PLEASE folks DO NOT 'crystal ball' anything. DO NOT try this at home. Let the professionals do this. Please I do not want to see anyone get hurt. 😁

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Sheffield United recall Jebbison and have a big game against West Brom today, and Jebbison... isn't even on the bench.

Brilliant.

Is this sarcasm? There's a school of thought that we shouldn't want Jebbison to heat up too quickly because he may get further attention from the English. Are you in that camp and thus applauding his exclusion?

The other point of view is that he's way too far away from the English NT to worry, thus we want him to do as well as possible. That'd be good for Canada because the sooner he proves he can contribute the sooner we can call and tie him. 

I assume you fall here and are being sarcastic. 

Another point on his NT prospects, I think the majority of us see the full England NT as unrealistic for Jebbison, which I tend to agree with, but...

1. He's 18 and it's too early to say that, even though it's probably the case.

2. The better he gets as a player the longer he may stay in the English system to see where his development goes.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is this sarcasm? There's a school of thought that we shouldn't want Jebbison to heat up too quickly because he may get further attention from the English. Are you in that camp and thus applauding his exclusion?

The other point of view is that he's way too far away from the English NT to worry, thus we want him to do as well as possible. That'd be good for Canada because the sooner he proves he can contribute the sooner we can call and tie him. 

I assume you fall here and are being sarcastic. 

Another point on his NT prospects, I think the majority of us see the full England NT as unrealistic for Jebbison, which I tend to agree with, but...

1. He's 18 and it's too early to say that, even though it's probably the case.

2. The better he gets as a player the longer he may stay in the English system to see where his development goes.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I can see both sides of it but I mostly meant for him personally, it must not be great to be recalled from what has been a successful loan, to not even make the bench.

I think for Canada, it's good that he excels because I think he's realistically too far away from an England call up and he still needs to play his way into contention for Canada.

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I can see both sides of it but I mostly meant for him personally, it must not be great to be recalled from what has been a successful loan, to not even make the bench.

I think for Canada, it's good that he excels because I think he's realistically too far away from an England call up and he still needs to play his way into contention for Canada.

Yeah I agree with you there, but I am somewhat concerned that success with Sheffield will prolong him playing for us.

From our perspective I think he needs to be scoring goals regularly at the Championship level to win a spot, but if you're Jebbison scoring and helping your team push for promotion, you may just remain in the English system for the time being. 

A lot has to happen for him to return to the Premier League and start scoring goals, but should that happen I don't think a random English NT cap is out of reach for him, unfortunately.  

On the not making the bench thing, I imagine that re-joining Sheffield came a little too late for him to feature for this match. I don't expect things to continue this way...

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I agree with you there, but I am somewhat concerned that success with Sheffield will prolong him playing for us.

From our perspective I think he needs to be scoring goals regularly at the Championship level to win a spot, but if you're Jebbison scoring and helping your team push for promotion, you may just remain in the English system for the time being. 

A lot has to happen for him to return to the Premier League and start scoring goals, but should that happen I don't think a random English NT cap is out of reach for him, unfortunately.  

On the not making the bench thing, I imagine that re-joining Sheffield came a little too late for him to feature for this match. I don't expect things to continue this way...

This is an excellent point.  He is far from ever playing for the men's national program.  The concern is how soon do you want Jebbison to switch back to Canada?  If Jebbison starts lighting the Championship up, it's not going to warrant a senior team call up.  However, it will likely mean that he becomes an integral part of the English youth system for the next few years.  Right now, getting friendlies with U18 & U19 programs is not a big deal but if he starts breaking through into U20 & U21 teams for competitive games then there's a possibility that we're going to have to wait a few more years. 

The allure of a U20 World Cup & a Euro U21 Championship is very realistic.  Eustaquio stayed with Portugal U21 until they were eliminated from the UEFA Euro u21 competition.  Tomori won a U20 World Cup with England which he was never going to win with our U20 program.  For club career, both the Fifa U20 World Cup & UEFA Euro U21 competitions are two of the most heavily scouted tournaments in the world.

So, I'm hoping he commits to us sooner rather than later so I can really cheer for him to excel.  I do believe he will eventually end up with us but I am hesitant to watch him excel until he has committed.  It was a Chelsea transfer ban and a few injuries combined with Tomori stepping up that really gave Southgate almost no choice but to call him up.  Had he been loaned back out to a Championship team as Chelsea likely would have done without the ban then who knows where Tomori would be at.

8 minutes ago, Corazon said:

If Jebbison starts lighting the Championship up, it's not going to warrant a senior team call up.

I think a lot of what you said makes sense, but I disagree with this. If he starts lighting the championship up, he certainly warrants a senior call up. The Championship is a similar, if not better, level to Turkey, Belgium, and the MLS where all our forward options minus JD play. Junior Hoilett is arguably not even a Championship regular on a relegation candidate squad, yet he is a highly relied upon piece in our setup. If Jebbison were to start tearing it up and help Sheffield push for a playoff spot, there is no doubt in my mind he deserves a spot.

7 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think a lot of what you said makes sense, but I disagree with this. If he starts lighting the championship up, he certainly warrants a senior call up. The Championship is a similar, if not better, level to Turkey, Belgium, and the MLS where all our forward options minus JD play. Junior Hoilett is arguably not even a Championship regular on a relegation candidate squad, yet he is a highly relied upon piece in our setup. If Jebbison were to start tearing it up and help Sheffield push for a playoff spot, there is no doubt in my mind he deserves a spot.

He's talking about an English NT call.

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Ah, my mistake 😂 

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

All good, I questioned my interpretation the first time I read it lol

My wording makes sense in my own head 🤣

Yes, as @Obinna stated, I was referring to England.  Most of us consider Junior an integral part of this program currently doing okay in the Championship.  Even if Jebbison starts seeing minutes in the Championship, he should be considered for our program.  The only reason, he might not be is because we are so deep up top.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, Obinna said:

yeah sorry (not really), but the whole "we want him to be good but not too good otherwise he may not play for us" take is dumb... 

19 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

yeah sorry (not really), but the whole "we want him to be good but not too good otherwise he may not play for us" take is dumb... 

I get what you are saying but there is still some logic to it.  A young kid smashing in goals in the Championship is probably getting tapped on the shoulder by the England folks.  A kid who has promise but isn’t lighting up their 2nd tier probably is not.  And if we want him to commit to Canada - especially before 2026 - it would help us if he wasn’t on England’s radar as a probable future senior international.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get what you are saying but there is still some logic to it.  A young kid smashing in goals in the Championship is probably getting tapped on the shoulder by the England folks.  A kid who has promise but isn’t lighting up their 2nd tier probably is not.  And if we want him to commit to Canada - especially before 2026 - it would help us if he wasn’t on England’s radar as a probable future senior international.   

Ivan Toney is living proof that this is not actually true. Unless you mean he'd be tapped for England age groups teams, in which case I'd point out that he's already getting called for them.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ivan Toney is living proof that this is not actually true. Unless you mean he'd be tapped for England age groups teams, in which case I'd point out that he's already getting called for them.

I don’t mean that he would be getting an immediate call up to the senior team - I just mean they would be actively whispering in his ear that he should stay in the English set up because he was on a path to the senior team.  As a 19 yr old that would give him more reason to delay his decision.  That is different than Toney who may be banging in goals now as a 24 year old - someone his age has to be performing at the highest level to get a call up. 

No doubt he, like anyone else in the England or any international youth set up will get those type of whispers, "advice" to stick with England etc. 

The reality is, he is a at least 2 to 3 years away from getting a full England call. That is if he starts banging them in on a consistent basis in the Championship then Premier League. There are so many people ahead, around and behind him for England. He could have been at a WC and preparing for a second with Canada before he even breaks through for England. 

Arguably, breaking into the Canada striker pool isn't getting much easier than England at the moment though! 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t mean that he would be getting an immediate call up to the senior team - I just mean they would be actively whispering in his ear that he should stay in the English set up because he was on a path to the senior team.  As a 19 yr old that would give him more reason to delay his decision.  That is different than Toney who may be banging in goals now as a 24 year old - someone his age has to be performing at the highest level to get a call up. 

Thank you, this was my point. He doesn't have to get an England call like Tomori, he just has to be good enough to keep the England dream alive. He's likely ours at the end of the day but he'll only be 23 when we host the WC, so he can afford to bide his time, unfortunately for us. I would be surprised if he switched this cycle.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Arguably, breaking into the Canada striker pool isn't getting much easier than England at the moment though! 

That's the thing, we are getting stronger very quickly.

If he doesn't bang in the goals he won't have a clear path to our senior team and thus he may opt to take the England youth caps instead.

If he's banging in goals in the Championship and then the Premier League he forges a path into our side, but by then his chances of a senior England call start to become more realistic.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's the thing, we are getting stronger very quickly.

If he doesn't bang in the goals he won't have a clear path to our senior team and thus he may opt to take the England youth caps instead.

If he's banging in goals in the Championship and then the Premier League he forges a path into our side, but by then his chances of a senior England call start to become more realistic.

Exactly because he has both the CSA and England's FA monitoring him. But it all comes down to which country gets to him first. But then again England's youth level even at youth level, to break into their side is difficult. Canada with our youth program, he would basically be a star especially at U-23.

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If he's really good and then doesn't play for us, then said player isn't comitted. Period. Its a dumb take any way one puts it. These are exactly the type of players we need to move away from.

Edited by LeoH037