Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For sure, I guess the silver lining is the rapid emergence of Johnston though, which I don't think happens with Tomori in the side. Johnston would have likely gotten RB reps in a back four, but he'd probably only have half the caps right now. 

Take a look at Jamaica. A team of recruits doesn't necessarily bring results.

We have conceded 5 goals in 11 Octo matches and have arguably the strongest defence in CONCACAF. So what could Tomori have added to the team itself?  

13 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugh. This mentality is both depressing and pathetic. Just no. I first most want a guy like Jebbison to get better, regardless when he choses to commit. Whether he choses to play for us or England is something I'll worry about after the fact. Its one thing to become a top 20 nation, its another to remain there indefinetly, and sub par talent won't keep us there. 

If Jebbison chooses to rep England I couldn’t care less how well his career goes.  I also think you are really missing some really basic logic in the thought process around this.  But okay.  

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We have conceded 5 goals in 11 Octo matches and have arguably the strongest defence in CONCACAF. So what could Tomori have added to the team itself?  

We wouldn’t have been parachuting him in as some sort of saviour in a single campaign like the Jamaican campaign - Tomori would have anchored our defence for the next 8-10 years.   Once Vitoria retires we will potentially see a drop off in quality at CB.  Not saying he would have done tons this qualifying cycle but Tomori would have been a huge piece of the puzzle over the long term.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

22 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugh. This mentality is both depressing and pathetic. Just no. I first most want a guy like Jebbison to get better, regardless when he choses to commit. Whether he choses to play for us or England is something I'll worry about after the fact. Its one thing to become a top 20 nation, its another to remain there indefinetly, and sub par talent won't keep us there. 

Dude, I get what you are saying, but I think you're just being idealistic while most of us are being pragmatic. That doesn't mean we don't want him to eventually reach his potential, we just want him to do so AND play for Canada. It's more about the speed of his development. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We really haven't had many defections from true Canadians. Back in the 2000s we had Hargreaves, Begovic, Lensky, JDG2. In recent years we've been much better. 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Whore and JDG2 were a while ago.  Things have changed.  Tomori was born here, but left at 2 and grew up in England.  That is where his heart lies, good for him.  Cristante and Ferdi weren't born here and never lived here. Fuck, I don't know that Ferdi ever stepped foot in Canada.  Jebbison was born here and grew up here to what 14, 15 16?  His dad played basketball for Canada.  Flores and Dias were born here and grew up here to 11 or 12?  Big difference.

If I had to guess, the last one would've been Caolan Lavery.  Still playing in League Two.  Probably wouldn't have made the current team, but definitely would've had some caps in 2014-2016 era.

Too bad he no longer posts here.

47 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You can never have enough quality in my opinion.  And Tomori is quality.  It's a bit like saying wouldn't getting Owen Hargreaves have blocked the emergence of Atiba Hutchinson?  Maybe, but I'd have loved the opportunity to deal with that problem.

(And yes, I know losing Tomori vs losing Hargreaves - one is understandable and one is unforgiveable 😉😡)

9 minutes ago, GasPed said:

You can never have enough quality in my opinion.  And Tomori is quality.  It's a bit like saying wouldn't getting Owen Hargreaves have blocked the emergence of Atiba Hutchinson?  Maybe, but I'd have loved the opportunity to deal with that problem.

(And yes, I know losing Tomori vs losing Hargreaves - one is understandable and one is unforgiveable 😉😡)

Just an aside, but Julian De Guzman is probably the better comparison. Hutchinson has always had the ability to play multiple positions. He would have found the field elsewhere and emerged regardless.

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Dude, I get what you are saying, but I think you're just being idealistic while most of us are being pragmatic. That doesn't mean we don't want him to eventually reach his potential, we just want him to do so AND play for Canada. It's more about the speed of his development. 

Ugh. Yes totally, lets hope a player's development slows down enough (cuasing them to lose a few youth months/years of it) for them to commit to us... but then it will magically spike up after they commit... and I'm being the idealist? 😂😅🤣

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If Jebbison chooses to rep England I couldn’t care less how well his career goes.  I also think you are really missing some really basic logic in the thought process around this.  But okay.  

^^ see post above, then preach about logic... 

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugh. Yes totally, lets hope a player's development slows down enough (cuasing them to lose a few youth months/years of it) for them to commit to us... but then it will magically spike up after they commit... and I'm being the idealist? 😂😅🤣

This is a Canadian national team supporters group, yes we are "idealistic" (the word you are looking for is "hopeful") that good Canadian players A) play for Canada and 2) Reach their potential, but if you make me choose between a Canadian playing for Canada and reaching his potential, I am always going to root for the former. What say you?

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is a Canadian national team supporters group, yes we are "idealistic" (the word you are looking for is "hopeful") that good Canadian players A) play for Canada and 2) Reach their potential, but if you make me choose between a Canadian playing for Canada and reaching his potential, I am always going to root for the former. What say you?

okay.. good for you? Unfortunately it doesn't mean that the premise of a player's development stalling before they commit to us, for the sake of them not being noticed by anyone else, isn't ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

okay.. good for you? Unfortunately it doesn't mean that the premise of a player's development stalling before they commit to us, for the sake of them not being noticed by anyone else, isn't ridiculous.

Well, considering you won't answer the question I will assume you are not actually interested in discussing this, you are just interested in telling other people how ridiculous their opinions are. Have fun with that!

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Dude what are you talking about? He’s already been noticed by England. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but he’s currently in the England system. If his development is rapid, there’s a very good chance he stays in the England system. All anyone is saying is that it would be good if his development reaches a point where he can play meaningful minutes for Canada, while still being outside of the England senior team picture. All this would mean is that his development doesn’t take a meteoric rise in the next couple years. If he immediately becomes a star, he likely stays England. Bad. If he gradually develops over the next four years at a regular pace and reaches his peak as a good-to-very good Premier League striker at his peak around 24-27, that will likely mean he will have had chances to join and contribute meaningfully to Canada before England would warrant a call up. Good. 

No offence but this is a very simple concept to grasp and your responses sound like they’re written by a teenage girl who thinks they’re smarter than they are. We all want Jebbison to reach his potential. Most of us also want that to happen in a way that doesn’t allow for England to swoop in and promote him to the senior team.

10 hours ago, frmr said:

Dude what are you talking about? He’s already been noticed by England. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but he’s currently in the England system. If his development is rapid, there’s a very good chance he stays in the England system. All anyone is saying is that it would be good if his development reaches a point where he can play meaningful minutes for Canada, while still being outside of the England senior team picture. All this would mean is that his development doesn’t take a meteoric rise in the next couple years. If he immediately becomes a star, he likely stays England. Bad. If he gradually develops over the next four years at a regular pace and reaches his peak as a good-to-very good Premier League striker at his peak around 24-27, that will likely mean he will have had chances to join and contribute meaningfully to Canada before England would warrant a call up. Good. 

No offence but this is a very simple concept to grasp and your responses sound like they’re written by a teenage girl who thinks they’re smarter than they are. We all want Jebbison to reach his potential. Most of us also want that to happen in a way that doesn’t allow for England to swoop in and promote him to the senior team.

Then again it comes down to who caps him first at the end of the day and or who he chooses to play for. Because he is the only one who can make that decision.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Floortom said:

Bizarre decision to recall a teenager regularly playing in League 1 if you’re not going to play him. Sheffield is in the promotion playoff hunt so I’m not shocked he isn’t getting much time on the pitch, but they shouldn’t have recalled him if that was a possibility.

This is exactly what I thought after seeing today's result: scoreless draw vs. one the bottom teams in the Championship and make two subs, ignoring the guy you called back for his goals and the fans and club were all excited about having. 

But what am I thinking, it's the Championship: I can accept the play and players, to a point, but the managers are such rubbish. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist