Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think he is holding out for England.

If he wanted to play for us he would have already.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

He may be holding out, but it may just take some time. It took nearly 2 years to convince Eustaquio to play for Canada it was a bit similar to this scenario, he played on the Portuguese youth national team and he wasn't ever likely to play for his other nation (Portugal). It does seem like Jebbison won't be committing in the near future but I think he'll commit before the age of 25.

I could see it going either we IF he is given an assurance that he would be in the WC squad if healthy.   I doubt he commits for qualifying without something like that -  otherwise committing your future for the next decade doesn’t make much sense at his age.  If nothing else he would skip qualifying and them try to stake a claim for a spot in our WC squad based on the strength of his play next season.  

2026 doesn’t factor into anything at this point because both Canada and England will be there.  It isn’t an incentive for him to sign up to us.  The carrot is really just 2022.  

13 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I don’t have facts on this but I thought I had heard even a few time capped top 10 national team player has significantly more value than a country in 40-50 range.  Happy to be told this is not the true though.  I think I heard it in reference to Tomori’s decision to stay with England rather than be a much more established Canada player.

Ok, so just marketability then. There is no denying it definately plays a part but at a certain point it would plateau or cease to be a factor altogether, like when someone reaches a certain stage in their career Ala David or Davies. I guess sponsors and endorsements would be less if he plays for us. However, that can go both ways to. Playing for us would increase his chances of getting a lucrative DP deal with a Canadian based MLS club down the line.

Now, his career is just starting and let's say for the sake of argument he goes back to Sheffield United next season and is doing well in the Championship, assuming they are still in the Championship next season. It's November and World Cup sqauds are being formed. England doesn't call him up considering they will most likely take all Prem players but we do. The thought of playing in the World Cup and potentially scoring a goal, it could help him jump the time line on his club career, such as moving to the Prem sooner rather than later. 

This situation seems way more like "I'm focusing on my career" than "I'm holding out for England".

Option 1: Commit to Canada and get very limited minutes + have to miss club games.

Option 2: Play more consistent minutes with England U18/19 + not have to miss any club games.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't get the hold out for England thing from him. It's not like he hasn't shown any interest , in the summer Herdman had "good talks", liked a comment about playing for Canada and interacts with Canadian players.

Edited by Xavier.

1 minute ago, Xavier. said:

This situation seems way more like "I'm focusing on my career" than "I'm holding out for England". If he did commit to

Option 1: Commit to Canada and get very limited minutes + have to miss club games.

Option 2: Play more consistent minutes with England U18/19 + not have to miss any club games.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't get the hold out for England thing from him. It's not like he hasn't shown any interest , in the summer Herdman had "good talks", liked a comment about playing for Canada and interacts with Canadian players.

I think it's a mixture of both points, he probably didn't think Canada would have a shout for the world cup a few months ago and he wasn't good enough to make a squad based on merit. Now he would be our 4th best striker for this window and as @dyslexic nam mentioned if he's told he'll have a good chance of making the world cup team if he does well it could be tempting. I'd guess he's thinking a lot more about it now than September for instance.

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

I think it's a mixture of both points, he probably didn't think Canada would have a shout for the world cup a few months ago and he wasn't good enough to make a squad based on merit. Now he would be our 4th best striker for this window and as @dyslexic nam mentioned if he's told he'll have a good chance of making the world cup team if he does well it could be tempting. I'd guess he's thinking a lot more about it now than September for instance.

That's why I think If Jebbision is ever accepting a call-up to this year it will be after Canada's confirmed to be in Qatar in March.

That in itself will create a huge buzz around the football world.

Jebbison is still a long way from the England senior team.  Cole Palmer is still a long way form the England senior team and he's playing and scoring for Man City this season.

I don't think he is even thinking about the England senior program.  I'm sure he is well aware of how deep the England attacking pool is.  Very few attackers remain in the England squad for a long period as there are so many new, young attackers emerging every season.  And I'm not sure he has been thinking about our senior program as well.  Unfortunately or fortunately he is now playing his way into our senior program already.  He is likely to stay with England youth program for the next year or two.  It allows him to focus on his career.  Playing a friendly with the England u19's is going to get you far more exposure than a U20 World Cup Concacaf qualifier.  With England, the u20 World Cup and U21 Euros will bring significant exposure to him if he is included in those squads.

I'm not too concerned about losing him to England men's program today.  But I will start to worry when he starts getting competitive games with the U20's and U21's.  And/or if he makes a return to premier league and becomes a regular there.

It will be interesting what level he is playing next fall and if he is contributing, does he have a spot on our World Cup roster (if we qualify).

Edited by Corazon

17 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Jebbison is still a long way from the England senior team.  Cole Palmer is still a long way form the England senior team and he's playing and scoring for Man City this season.

I don't think he is even thinking about the England senior program.  I'm sure he is well aware of how deep the England attacking pool is.  Very few attackers remain in the England squad long term as well as there are so many new young attackers emerging every season.  And I'm not sure he was even thinking about our senior program as well.  Unfortunately or fortunately he is now playing his way into our senior program already.  He is likely to stay with England youth program for the next year or two.  It allows him to focus on his career.  Playing a friendly with the England u19's is going to get you far more exposure than U20 World Cup Concacaf qualifying.  With England, the u20 World Cup and U21 Euros will bring significant exposure to him if he is included in those squads.

I'm not too concerned about losing him to England men's program today.  But I will start to worry when he starts getting competitive games with the U20's and U21's.  And/or if he makes a return to premier league and becomes a regular there.

It will be interesting what level he is playing next fall and if he is contributing, does he have a spot on our World Cup roster (if we qualify).

Seeing as Sheffield United are keen to keep him he'll probably be in the Championship next season, and if he's starting right off the get go for them and performing, it will be very hard to ignore him for Qatar.

6 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

Seeing as Sheffield United are keen to keep him he'll probably be in the Championship next season, and if he's starting right off the get go for them and performing, it will be very hard to ignore him for Qatar.

Yeah, there's going to be a significant period of time where he will be good enough to contribute to our senior men's side, while not being good enough to be in the discussion for England (if he ever is). To be in the discussion for England, a striker needs to be banging them in for a top club. If he's lighting up the Championship or producing at a mid-level Premier League side and he's still not accepting our call ups, then maybe it will be time to start to worry a little bit, but we're a long way off from that. At the end of the day, he's got some serious competition no matter which country he chooses.

If I'm Herdman I call him up and guarantee him playing time. We've got two matches this window where we can field very attacking teams, between those and the game against the US in a short span, I'm sure there will be match time for David, Larin, Ugbo and Jebbison. You could even make a case that Jebbison jumps Ugbo for third striking option, in which case he would definitely see minutes.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:39 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

That's what I thought. Was mom born in England? Family sounds about Canadian as it gets. David Edgar and Iain Hume sound more British than Jebbo. Must be puzzling to his England teammates when they first meet him.

Hume lived in the UK for majority of his life. 
Edgars accent has been gone.

Jebbison sounds like the Hore who doesn’t know what he is. 

I’ve always thought he’ll be with Canada, I just hope it’s sooner than later.

Edited by Shway