Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

On 12/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, GasPed said:

Wow.  Doesn't that say that he was only in Montreal for 3 years (ages 4 to 7)?  And he can still speak French?  Impressive.  (Please correct my translation if I'm wrong - it has been a long time since my high school French days. 😀)

I was in French immersion until the fourth grade. (9-10). It def sticks at that age. In fact languages are best learned young. Sometimes I can even still speak the language, though usually only when I'm drunk, and not very well. But in truth, my French was more or less bullied out of me once I made the switch to an English language public school.

I teach French Immersion High School in Ontario. There is a wide array of abilities. A lot of students take the bare minimum amount of courses as necessary to receive their certificate and as such I would not say they are functionally bilingual, but some students do indeed learn to speak French, although perhaps not with the preferred French Canadian accent!

6 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Another player missed by TFC for backward thinking reasons:

L’Académie du Toronto FC m’a toujours ignoré parce qu’on disait que j’étais trop petit, dit-il en riant. Alors, pour être honnête, je ne suis pas le plus grand fan de Toronto. Je parie que les partisans de Montréal seront heureux d’entendre ça !

I wonder with the success of Johnston, Buchanon and Miller if the Canadian teams will go after Canadians in the draft.

Although Raposo has not been a success for Vancouver, nor has Nyal Higgins at Toronto.

It's all still a crapshoot unless you have a particular need.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I wonder with the success of Johnston, Buchanon and Miller if the Canadian teams will go after Canadians in the draft.

Although Raposo has not been a success for Vancouver, nor has Nyal Higgins at Toronto.

I think we may find these 3 players are outliers

22 hours ago, VinceA said:

No matter the sport or League  drafts are crapshoots. 

16 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Ontario’s French immersion program generally makes you fluent in one language : franglais. His is better than that.

Assuming he hasn’t used his French for a few years, respect to him for giving it a try - which most anglophone hockey players never ever do.

Having watched his inteview now, I am 99.9999% sure his French is immersion French. He understands all the French and is eager to try(which is amazing and he is to be commended for). His accent and lack of vocabulary remind me of several of my current students. IMHO he's good and will get alot better playing in Montreal.

3 hours ago, Tyson M said:

Having watched his inteview now, I am 99.9999% sure his French is immersion French. He understands all the French and is eager to try(which is amazing and he is to be commended for). His accent and lack of vocabulary remind me of several of my current students. IMHO he's good and will get alot better playing in Montreal.

Are you referring to his French or his soccer?

On 1/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, Tyson M said:

The media in Montreal will always give him the benefit of the doubt as well for that.   They appreciate the fact that he speaks French fairly well and a little Franglais to fill in where his vocabulary is missing is acceptable; especially from an Anglophone player.

Also him spending some of his childhood in Montreal will make him a local in their eyes.  I think Alistair is going to do quite well in Montreal.

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

I just learned today that his dad Bill runs SoccerX.

That would make sense because when he was interviewed on a Montreal radio station, he said that his father works in "the soccer business".   i was trying to figure out what that meant.  

19 hours ago, VinceA said:

I just learned today that his dad Bill runs SoccerX.

I think it's likely his dad is a fellow by the same name who won the  Canadian Challenge Cup with Vancouver Westside Rhinos in 93 and 96. Same general group as John Catliff, Steve Kindel, Colin Elmes: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://bcsoccer.net/files/MemberService/BC%20Teams%20Winning%20CSA%20Club%20Championships%20-%20Games%20and%20Team%20Details%20-%20web.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiO5cbvr5j1AhUDNH0KHURNBAAQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3C5sNRRWxG8OwxJkGH1BYD